Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 08:49 PM
    Do dog's noses bend?
    Odd question, but sometimes when I look at Trink when she is sniffing things, her nose looks crooked. And when I was out at a dog event yesterday, one of the other greyhound owners said that her dog's nose could bend to almost 90 degrees when sniffing. "The nose that smells around corners", as she put it.

So, am I imagining this, or can dog's noses actually bend (flex might be a better word)? Technically, if they have a lot of cartilage in them, they should be able to. But on the other hand, I don't recall seeing it before this. On the other other hand, greyhounds have long thin noses, so perhaps it's just more apparent with them than with other breeds?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 06:21 AM
    If you look at a picture of a dog's skull, most of the nose is solid bone except for the outer part. They do appear to have some control of it, at least to be able to flare the nostrils. I do think I have seen them bend it. I know it does distort when they press it against something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why Do Some People's Have Runny Noses When They Are Eating [ 19 Answers ]

Just wanted to see if anyone has any insight as to why and what is physically going on when some people get older they always have a runny nose when they are eating. I personally, used to see this happening all of the time when I worked as an activity aide at a nursing home. Now, I find that I...

Runny noses [ 5 Answers ]

What is the fastest way to get rid of a runny nose?

Runny noses [ 13 Answers ]

How do you get rid of a runny nose? I have a horrible cold.

Closet bend necessary [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling the bathroom and want to put a new flange on the toilet. The old one is cast iron with oakum? And lead connection to the closet bend. I would like to change to ABS but all the fittings (closet bends) that I find at the retail stores are too deep (>8 in to bottom) and put me below...

My dog's behaviour [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed a strange behaviour in my dog, late this evening. He is 7 years of age and is a spitz dog. Today I suddenly found him restless about half an hour after he took his evening meal. He was shivvering in some kind of fear and was trying to hide himself at some corner. Or tried to enetr toilet...

View more questions Search