Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Baysidejimmie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Can DSL operate on a line with a Rotary Phone
    In my newly purchased home, there is a functioning Rotary wall phone. When my DSL service was transferred to the new location, the DSL line does not work. The phone company said that the DSL service would not operate with a "powered phone". When I disconnect the Rotary phone, I lose dial tone at the wall jack.

Anyone have a solution to this problem? Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 06:13 PM
    I have a mix of rotary and touch-tone and DSL works just fine. You can have DSL without a dial tone.

Tell you what. Go outside to the NID and plug in your DSL modem there. Don't know if you have wireless, but that would make things simple.

There really isn't enough information to solve the problem. How many phones? How many jacks? Are you using filters? How many? Are you using a splitter? Is the DSL line your primary line? How many modules are in the NID? How many have something connected to something? What do they look like?

Hooking the DSL modem to the test port at the NID will eliminate anything inside the house as the problem. When you do that, you don't need a filter or splitter.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 11, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Baysidejimmie
    In my newly purchased home, there is a functioning Rotary wall phone. When my DSL service was transferred to the new location, the DSL line does not work. The phone company said that the DSL service would not operate with a "powered phone". When I disconnect the Rotary phone, I lose dial tone at the wall jack.

Anyone have a solution to this problem? Thanks
    I'm weird, but I'd keep the rotary service for as long as I could. It's like a living legend!
    You can add service without disturbing any cobwebs!
    I'm interested in seeing how long the old stuff will last!
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 10:20 PM
    47 years and counting.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:59 AM
    When you remove Rotary Phone from wall, you should not lose dial tone. Are you disconnecting any wires at that jack. Do you have whole house filter or filters at the Jacks?
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Well, you would lose dial tone if you were listening to the phone you just removed <G>.

That's one of the reasons I was confused.

Is this a "powered phone"? Ananova - Hamster-powered phone charger

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing disconnected phone line to same number as phone line that is active [ 3 Answers ]

If you can help I will vote for you... for any office... state or government! We have two separate phone lines. One for one room and one for another. One of the lines was cut off at our request by the phone company. We want to make the disconnected line active again and work on the same number...

How do I eliminate/rewire my DSL/Fax line to home phone line? [ 1 Answers ]

Line 1 is a Verizon DSL/dedicated fax line in my office. Line 2 is my home phone. It would cost $95 for Verizon to come to my home for approx. 10 minutes or less to rewire the DSL/Fax so I can eliminate the extra (fax) line. Do I rewire through the NI box on the outside of my home? Any phone...

Wiring a 2nd phone line into a regular phone line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. A long time ago, I had a phone jack installed in my room to be used for a 2nd phone line. Well, we shut off the 2nd phone line, so now I have a phone jack in my room that is basically out of order. I'm trying to turn it into a regular phone jack. This jack has never been a regular wired phone...

Cordless phone rings once, goes dead, and knocks dsl off line [ 0 Answers ]

I have only cordless phones in my home. Recently, I've noticed the following problem. When someone dials my home number, certain calls (maybe one out of every 5 or so) ring once (on both the caller's end and in the house) and then immediately disconnect. I think that this may also be related in...

DSL and wiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

I have phone svc through SBC and DSL stand alone through Qwest; was assigned a separate phone # for dsl svc and was told could not "piggyback" on same phone jack; trying to avoid paying $100 svc fee to qwest; have purchased separate jack but don't know what wires to attach where. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search