Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fabulusfay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Mother wants to add son to deed to save property taxes can he not mortgage house?
    My mother owns a house in Starke FL anf her son, my brother has lived in it for 3 years. He has became disabled and doesn't work, she lives in SC. She wants to add him to the deed so that the property taxes becom lower for owner occupied verus living out of state, it will save her about $1,000 eah year. My concern is that my brother may try to mortgage the house at some point, would he only be able to do so with her consent? Should they do the deed as joint tenants? I guess the other dilemna is if she ever wants to sell the house, he would need to agree. She is in her late 70's and really can't afford the taxes on the house, he lives there rent free. Is there any way to word the deed to where he can't sell it, but could live there for life, and then it would pass on to someone else, a grandchild, maybe,Thanks Faye
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 11, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Depending on how she adds his name, he can INCUMBER his portion of the equity so this is NOT a good idea.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Talk to an attorney. She may be able to deed it to him under a trust that would put soimeone else in charge of managing the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add name to house deeds but not mortgage? [ 6 Answers ]

I live in the UK. My partner and I own a house, but at the moment the mortgage is in his name and only his name appears on the house deeds. The reason why the mortgage was not in joint names initially is because I was unemployed at the time of applying. I have contacted several solicitors to...

Add Name to Mortgage Deed [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to add my daughter-in-law's name to my mortgage deed, without her being liable for any mortgage payments, etc. I am doing this now so she will be sole owner at the time of my death. What legal procedure is used to do this? Thank you.

Least complicated but legal way to add someone to my mortgage deed or title [ 3 Answers ]

I find myself in a tight situation with my house payment & household expenses. My friend has decided to come in on the house with me. The house is in Sun City, Arizona, and I have had it for 6 mo. Our plan is to keep my original prime loan. My friend will reinburse me for half my original...

I want to add husband to property deed [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is a form and on which site that my husband and I can fill out to file with the county adding his name to the deed. We bought the house together and put it in my name only. We would now like to add his name. Is it necessary to go to a title company or attorney to do...

How Can A Owner Of A Property Add Someone To Their Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I live in orlando fla I would like to know how can I as the home owner add someone to my deed. What forms do I need to use. I know already that I have to know the pay off my mortgage before I can so this I have requested this information. If anyone nows in this area can they give me a quicl...

View more questions Search