Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sanjay Persad Posts: 110, Reputation: 0

Nov 11, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Should spanking a child be illegal?
    Do you think that spanking a child should be illegal?
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 01:47 PM
    No. The choice of discipline should be left up to the parent - not the government.

I do think there is a HUGE difference in spanking and beating. Abusing your child is against the law.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Spanking, no. Beating the livin' crap out of them to the point of physical injury, yes.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Spanking yes, beating no.
    There are laws to protect the kids, because so many go way over board, so if it has to be illegal to protect them, then so be it...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Of course not, spanking is one of the best methods of displine that you can use with younger children.

Nov 24, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Is that your religious point of view or personal point of view Fr_Chuck?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 08:23 PM
    It may not be illegal but if some one reports it to Child protective services they most often do treat it like it is illegal and then you are put through hell over it. I know many people who are afraid to discipline their kids other than reward system because of CPS.
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Both, and from Profession, having worked before in both public school, it was obvious there is little disipline in schools that do not allow spanking where they will not remove a child from a class.

And from work in the prisons and with police departments, while of course not 100 percent by any means, the lack of proper disipline in homes can be seen in the majority of the major social issues today.

If you had ever been taken behind the barn so to speak, you seldom did things to that point again.

Our complete criminal justice system works on that very idea, you do wrong, you will be punished, the worst you do, or the more you do it, the worst your punishment.

This is not beating, but a proper spanking works wonders and should be more the norm in society,

Nov 24, 2007, 08:27 PM
    So based on the bible, u agree with the phrase "Spare the rod and spoil the child"?
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Yes, a good switch to the rear of a child does not real harm, and a lot of good. Again this is not beating, and has to be done in the proper manner, at the right time.
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 08:51 PM
    And basically based on the quran, and the torah proper disipline is very important in child raising.
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Nov 24, 2007, 09:07 PM
    No, it should be a parents right to choose to disipline their children by spanking or not. I will say however that the palm of the hand fits just right on the cheek of the a**. I don't believe in using things like switches or spanking any where other than the butt or maybe a pop on the hand.
    I seen a woman coming out of a store once with a child that was maybe five or 6. First she smacked him across the back of the head then yanked his arm upward till his feet left the ground. I felt so sorry for that poor kid!
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 09:15 PM
    Now I will even stop and "get on" a parent that ever hits a child in the face (slap) or back of head.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Nov 27, 2007, 03:00 PM
    I think spanking should be illegal!! Hitting doesn't prove anything. It doesn't teach the child why what they are doing is wrong, it just teaches them that when they do it they get pain in return.
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl
    I think spanking should be illegal!!!! Hitting doesn't prove anything. It doesn't teach the child why what they are doing is wrong, it just teaches them that when they do it they get pain in return.
    So, when your child runs across the street and/or does something dangerous like that... you are going to give him/her a time out? :rolleyes:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2007, 03:13 PM
    A well placed swat on the rear is not abuse. You take that same hand and use across the face, that is abuse. Or you take that same hand and place a belt in it, that is abuse. If the parent cannot control their anger in lashing out at a child who has made a mistake, that is abuse. Discipline is not done in anger. I have seen too much, much too much of badly beaten children. When the parent has no self control, that parent needs the time-out!
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    A well placed swat on the rear is not abuse. You take that same hand and use across the face, that is abuse. Or you take that same hand and place a belt in it, that is abuse. If the parent cannot control their anger in lashing out at a child who has made a mistake, that is abuse. Discipline is not done in anger. I have seen too much, much too much of badly beaten children. When the parent has no self control, that parent needs the time-out!
    A B S O L U T E L Y! ;)
    lildaw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Persad
    The bible tells you in proverbs if you spare the rod you will spoil the child and it will bring you to shame. The bible tells you to discipline your children not kill them so what form of spanking is used would really matter what would be illegal
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Persad
    Hello Sanjay:

Of course it should be illegal. Why would the most vulnerable amongst us be the only group who can be legally hit. I actually think it's kind of insane.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Sanjay:

Of course it should be illegal. Why would the most vulnerable amongst us be the only group who can be legally hit. I actually think it's kinda insane.

excon
    I don't consider a spanking a hit... (there is a difference between the two) but you are right, if you can't control it and it becomes a hit... then you, we have to make sure the most vulnerable are protected! Protecting the kids and supporting them is a very very important thing! I was spanked, hardly ever, but for what ever reason, I never did what I got one for again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Spanking music clip. [ 2 Answers ]

In the 90s-or maybe early 00s- Two young ladies made a song that went mainstream- In the film clip they put people over their knee and spanked them- What was the song ?

Would this be illegal? [ 12 Answers ]

Would it be illegal if a 29 year old man had sex with a 17 year old girl in Maine?

My husband believes in spanking and I don't [ 12 Answers ]

My husband tells me that I'm a bad mom because I don't spank my kids I try to correct them with other methods how do I know if he's gone too far with it.

Is this Illegal? [ 3 Answers ]

I had a loan with a company for about 4 years. The loan has completely destroyed my credit due to numerous amounts of deliquencies on my report (younger days). Anyway, I am in the process of purchasing my first home and am working with a Mortgage Broker. My Broker told me to pay the loan...

View more questions Search