Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 01:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondbel
    My lack of respect stems from the idiots on this sight
    Jasondebil-you are a very kind person with good manners and style.I would like to say you THANK YOU for your respect to your opponents!:eek:
    mariansc Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Children are small adults, they just haven't learned all the wrongs from rights, when they are small. My opinion, hitting is down right wrong. I have a 12 year old boy and a 10 year old girl, never hit them, I did tap their hands when they were much smaller.

Why do I believe this... adults get so angry and don't realize the force they use. Hitting is abuse, no matter how one tries to justify it.

Do we hit adults as a form of punishment when they do something wrong or break the rules? Adultery, stealing, battery, etc. Shouldn't we discipline are children with words and taking the things away from them that they like/love... Yes. It has worked for me with my children. I think hitting only shows a child you can't control yourself, that hitting is the right thing to do, when things don't go their way. I believe it leads to aggression and much anger and worse.

Children learn by what they are shown, not what we tell them. Period!
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mariansc

adults get so angry and don't realize the force they use.

Do we hit adults as a form of punishment when they do something wrong or break the rules?

Getting angry and hitting can definitely turn into abuse, I will give you that. But a controlled spanking is much different than an abusive hit. That is only my opinion.
    The whole thing about kicking a child abusers azz sounds a lot better to me than taking away his "stuff" :eek: Just maybe people would think a little harder on whether they would do it. That is just my opinion.:rolleyes:
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Feb 3, 2008, 07:53 PM
    "Why do I believe this...adults get so angry and don't realize the force they use."
    I believe this statement is 100% correct. It makes me sick when I hear about abuse cases that have lead to death. I agree that hitting as a result of a parent having loss control is abuse.

Please read this: MySpace

AS for this statement:
    "Do we hit adults as a form of punishment when they do something wrong or break the rules? Adultery, stealing, battery, etc. "
    Answer is "YES" , yes we do get punished for things we do.
    - Robbers get shot all the time for stealing.

- Raged husbands have hit there wives for cheating. Even killed.

-One of my wife's friend was being battered periodically by her piece of boyfriend, so me and one of my friends took care of the matter. I doubt he raises his hand towards another woman again.

- Worse is when you end up in prison for something you did wrong. That's when all sorts of things can and do happen to criminals. I will spare you the details.

- Is electric chair considered hitting. It's a quick yet painful punishment as well.

I agree with what you are saying fully however some folks just don't have the parenting skills necessary. You might have more skills than your neighbor but you cannot fault the rest of the world because you can't get them all to think like you.

If we started locking up parents on charges of abuse due to a spanking. Where will all the children go... hopefully your house. And if we started fining the parents for spanking their kids then its only going to hurt the kids. Heck they may get it worse for compromising the rent money.

How do you fell about guys who fight professionally and teach that to there kids?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 08:14 PM
    And in the end, spanking is not wrong, not harmful and not illegal.
    It is a good parenting method to help correct incorrect behavior when other methods have not worked or the situation is so dangeroius it needs to be done.

The younger child is not just a small person, they are a child without the mental ability to rationalise and justify actions, and often the punishment is what makes them change.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 08:22 AM
    I have a 12 year old boy and a 10 year old girl, never hit them, I did tap their hands when they were much smaller.
    The problem with this whole discussion is lumping a tap on the hands, in with smacking a kid around out of anger at his actions. Big difference.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Hello again:

I agree with tal. We DO lump "tapping" in with "whacking", or "smacking". That's because we don't know what those words mean. In fact, those words, like all politically correct speak, are used to cover up a problem - not expose it.

If you notice, everybody here who lifts their hands to their children calls it something else. I, on the other hand, have consistently used the term "hit".

In order for us to be able to discuss the problem rationally, we need to use the same terminology, or we'll never get on the same page. In my view, the word "hit" is appropriate. It encompasses everything from a tap all the way to causing serious injury. Everybody knows what hitting is. Not everybody knows what a "tap" is.

In my opinion, you want to parse the word "hit", so you can hit and pretend you're not hitting.

The REAL problem is once you parse the word hit, everybody is going to parse it different. Your "tap" is somebody else's "whack", or somebody else's "beat".

If we can't decide which words to use, we'll just keep on talking AT each other, and we'll continue to suffer from the effects of child abuse for a long time to come.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 10:02 AM
    I suppose we all use words that sound "softer".
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Whoa... child "abuse" will continue because we don't equate a "smack" and a "tap" with the word "hit"?

I thought, personally, that child abuse would continue because we allow anyone with the right organs to become a parent.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Some people think this is a black and white subject, but really it isn't.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    Whoa...child "abuse" will continue because we don't equate a "smack" and a "tap" with the word "hit"?

I thought, personally, that child abuse would continue because we allow anyone with the right organs to become a parent.
    Synn, are you saying that we shouldn't let some people have children??
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    Synn, are you saying that we shouldn't let some people have children???
    I'll let her answer that but I can agree that some people should not have had children.
    Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 10:38 AM
    I'm saying that telling people how to discipline their children is a half step from telling people they can not have children to begin with.

And really--would that be so bad? That you couldn't have children until you passed certain tests--like stress tests, and common sense tests, and how not to hurt your children tests?

Wouldn't it be better to not allow people with violent tendencies to have children, than to expose their children to the violence and THEN take them away?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 10:40 AM
    It's not as much the violence that bothers me as much as the neglectful/absent parenting.
    Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Well, me too, NK.

But since this thread was about the "violence" of spanking your child--that's the part I addressed.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 10:54 AM
    I agree, some people shouldn't be able to have kids. There ia a long list why they shouldn't. Even if we set aside the beatings and the sexual abuse, there are many more reasons. But I know for good reason that if we let the government pick who and when, then we are all screw and a step closer to losing everything we live for. So, for us "cool" people, we watch out and do what we can to protect and nourish others children.
    I have always played a huge part in other kids' lives, and I like to think I have mad a big enough impact on the ones that I meet or the ones that just come to stay with us over night and come to find out they don't want to leave for specific reasons. It breaks my heart. Just being somewhere with a gosh darn clean bathroom makes them feel better sometimes. Awww, dang, I suppose this is part of life, but it is sad at times.
    Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 11:06 AM
    That's kind of my point, Start.

If they start telling people (via laws) how to discipline their children (and sorry--but a spanking has no worse impact on most kids than a time-out does, or "stealing" their possessions and calling it a punishment), then why can't we have laws about who can have children to begin with?

I mean, it's in the better interest of children to prevent people with anger management issues, or sexual promiscuity, or no common sense from having children to start with!

Had the original question been "should other forms of punishment be promoted over spanking", I would have been on the side of so many of the "NEVER EVER EVER EVER HIT SOMEONE" people.

However--the word "illegal" smacks to me of a too controlling government putting its nose into yet ANOTHER place it has no reason to be in. I don't need my government to be my nanny. I'm a grown-up, thanks, and I can make my own decisions about right and wrong, especially since in this case it's common sense that you don't hit a child the way you'd hit an adult, and you don't hit a child in anger EVER.

Tell you what: I'll raise my kids MY way, you raise your kids YOUR way, and we'll leave the government and laws out of it, since we're all sane and reasonable people. Why don't we save the cries of "abuse!!" for when a child is really being abused, instead of when a child is being raised differently than you would raise them?
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Very good. I think that sounds wonderful!
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Feb 4, 2008, 12:25 PM
    I've said my piece on this, but I know kids who have parents that spank them when they do pretty bad things. One thing is for sure, they never do it in public or in front of me.
    Its just something people seem to keep behind closed doors. If its such a positive form of discipline, then why do so many people hide it?
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
    I've said my piece on this, but I know kids who have parents that spank them when they do pretty bad things. One thing is for sure, they never do it in public or in front of me.
    Its just something people seem to keep behind closed doors. If its such a positive form of discipline, then why do so many people hide it?
    I agree Greg, very much so. If I needed to, like I felt I did when my son ran across the road... there were people around and yup, I gave him a spanking right then and there. Also at the grocery store, let me tell you there have been plenty of lets sit and wait for this time out to be over times too. I am not scared, I have nothing to hide.

I also wonder what goes on behind closed doors. It is scary to think think about it. I know a lot of parents who talk big, but when they are at home, they follow nothing they say they stand for. Behind closed doors is what really matters. As for me, I think I am the same mom here and there, and I think my kids realize that too. I may say please and thank you in public more often than I do at home, but I am working on that and have been for a while now! LOL:p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Spanking music clip. [ 2 Answers ]

In the 90s-or maybe early 00s- Two young ladies made a song that went mainstream- In the film clip they put people over their knee and spanked them- What was the song ?

Would this be illegal? [ 12 Answers ]

Would it be illegal if a 29 year old man had sex with a 17 year old girl in Maine?

My husband believes in spanking and I don't [ 12 Answers ]

My husband tells me that I'm a bad mom because I don't spank my kids I try to correct them with other methods how do I know if he's gone too far with it.

Is this Illegal? [ 3 Answers ]

I had a loan with a company for about 4 years. The loan has completely destroyed my credit due to numerous amounts of deliquencies on my report (younger days). Anyway, I am in the process of purchasing my first home and am working with a Mortgage Broker. My Broker told me to pay the loan...

View more questions Search