Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tidefan1983 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Potty Training Tips?
    Hi. My daughter will be two years old in December. I have been trying to work with her on potty training. Some times she will tell me "pee pee potty" and go to the bathroom door. So I take her in there, sit her on the potty and she just sits there. Nothing happens, then she says "done" and gets off. Every now and then she actually does pee. She has yet to have a bowel movement. Should I make her sit until she does? Or just keep taking her in there every time she says to (which is frequently)? She keeps taking her diapers off. What should I do?
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Nov 11, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Keep walking in there with her. I wouldn't let her sit to long... babies can get hemroids too (according to our pediatrician). It does get a little old after a while, but it pays off. Try giving treats and make a BIG to do when she does go (I looked like a fool a few months ago with my 2yo). Her taking her diapers off is a sign she is ready.
    Happy Potty Training... just keep thinking... no more diapers!! :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 11, 2007, 12:00 PM
    She is still quite young to understand the concept of using the toilet. It sounds like she is getting there, but it takes time for kidlets to understand the feeling that comes before peeing and pooping. Bowel movements are the last learned in toileting.

Just keep doing as you are doing and she will eventually get it. Reward her with stickers or gummies when she does go.
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Nov 13, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tidefan1983
    Hi. My daughter will be two years old in December. I have been trying to work with her on potty training. Some times she will tell me "pee pee potty" and go to the bathroom door. So I take her in there, sit her on the potty and she just sits there. Nothing happens, then she says "done" and gets off. Every now and then she actually does pee. She has yet to have a bowel movement. Should I make her sit until she does? Or just keep taking her in there everytime she says to (which is frequently)? She keeps taking her diapers off. What should I do?
    When we were potty training my daughter she would say she needed to potty all of the time and did not always go. We would go in try and if she did she did, if not, then we tried again later. Half the battle with my daughter was just getting her to tell me she needed to try. We bought her Disney princess panties and she would tell us when she needed to go because she did not want to pee pee on Cinderella :). A bm came much, much later.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Yeah, I wouldn't "make" her sit there... that may make her start falling back, and refusing to get on the potty.

I started with my daughter right before she turned 2, it went well for awhile then she started right refusing to get on the potty. So I backed off and restarted about 6 months later... closer to her being 3 and she took right to it.

Go to the potty anytime she asks to, even if she doesn't go. And if you notice it has been awhile since she has asked, offer it up yourself.
    During the early phases of training, I also kept books in the bathroom. I would sit and read a page or two to her while she was on the potty, that way she sat there long enough to relax and have a bowel movement if she needed to.

I ended up just totally stopping her wearing diapers. When she was wearing the pull ups she realized she could still go in them... and would do so often, just to get out of having to go to the potty.
    I pitched the diapers and put her right in panties. Then when she would wet herself, she hated how it felt... because she could actually FEEL being wet, vs wearing a diaper that soaks it up. After switching her to panties, it was no time before she was all the way potty trained :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Effective Potty Training Tips [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 7mos.old american eskimo & a pomeranian. We have been trying to potty train them using puppy pads -when we're not home & at night. When we're at home we take them outside -all they want to do is play , not potty. We spend 25 -40mins outside , and then coming in the house they go on or...

Potty Training [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a myth that girls are easier to potty train than boys?:)

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

Potty Training [ 2 Answers ]

My female miniature daschund has been with me for 1 month. My mom think scolding her and spanking her is how you train a dog. Whenever she comes in the house she eventually pees or poops if we don't get her outside imeditly. She is always desperate to find a way inside the house or she begs at the...

View more questions Search