Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zaphoid Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2005, 03:14 PM
    Remodel gets complicated
    Hi, I got a remodel of my kitchen in progress that got abit more complicated. My father was an electrician 30+ years ago and has given me his advice but fears his knowledge is out dated.

Older home that had only 2w, with no ground and I discovered I need a new 50amp socket to run my new range. Noticing the outdated nature of things I decided that if I put a 125AMP box breaked to 100AMP in the utility rm it will save lots of wire pulling. Sub-panel is a 35ft run including verticals. My understanding I need #2 Copper thhn in conduit.

Box will have in it.

1 50A 220 -Range
    1 30A 220 -Dryer
    1 20A 110 -Refrig
    1 20A 110 -Over Range Micorwave/Hood
    1 20A 110 -Dispoal/Dishwasher
    2 20A 110 GFI-Small App. Kitchen
    1 20A 110 GFI-Bathrooms
    1 20A 110 -Washing machine
    1 20A 110 GFI-Small App. Utility Rm.
    2 15A 110- Lighting Kitchen and baths.
    1 15A 110- Smoke detectors

House is a 100A service now and I hope I can save up and change it to 200A after this bit s done, but it requires new mast. Box and drop.

Is this correct information? Also opinion if I should run wiring to be 125A rated to new box instead of 100A reqs. And leave the box breakered to 100A till I can change the outside service to 200A.

Thx and sorry for long read.

Zaphoid
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2005, 04:19 PM
    First a note to Labman, trust I read all the posts, I just don't take to time to answer all of them, esp the unending Hampton Bay posts. If people would only buy good products, such as Casablanca or Hunter fans, spend more but you get what you pay for. Don't see any questions on then here.

Sorry for the comments on HB, you should know how blunt I can be.The others I will not answer unless I have something I think I can add, usually because the answer given is fine.Thank you for the kind words.

Zaphoid, if you use #2 THHN, you can do just what you stated is to just protect the new panel with a 100 Amp CB, until your ready to upsize it. #2 THHN is good for 130 Amps. Also include a #8 THHN green wire for the equipment ground.

If this is a subpanel in the true sense, grounding must be done properly. Judging from the proposed location, it appears to be a subpanel.The neutral at the subpanel must be isolated from the green wire.

The list of circuits seem fine, just what I would expect to find in a kitchen. To calculate whether the exisitng 100 Amp serive can handle the added load I would need to know the square foot of all livable area and any other appliances, kitchens, etc.

You may need to update soon if the service cannot handle the added load. An overload failure of a service can be a real serious situation, no power,get up late for work, fire trucks in the front yard, a real mess.

So if you had an old 2 wire service, is it now a newer full 100 Amp?

Nov 21, 2005, 06:32 PM
    House discription
    House is roughly 2000sq ft.livable.
    A John F Long, L shaped ranch style if your familiar with that builder.

4bd rm. 2 bath. Living Rm, Family Rm, Dining Rm, Utility Rm, 2 exterior recepticals and Garage (Garage has only one plug in ceiling for light and opener, upgrading it a is project after new service drop is done, shop will be born!).

I currently run 2 to 3 computers in the house, plus an entertainment center with large screen, washer, dryer, AC unit, and kitchen appliances I think are all are main power items.

Water heater is gas. As is the heating side of the AC unit.

The old kitchen had a cooktop and wall oven that added up to 50A, 30 to oven 20A to cooktop both at 220. Except the new 20A for the overrange microwave/vent hood and fire detector lines I think my load is the same.

The new panel will be a sub-panel in the utility rm. Shortens the rewire substantially for all the other wiring. It is very central. Thx for the info the ground wire we missed that bit.

The 100A main panel was installed couple years ago when the evap. Unit was replaced with an AC. At the time I was renting the house and since bought it. A long story it was to get the AC and a failed attempt to get a 200A panel at that time, Ill spare you.

The 2 wire service you asked about, if you mean the drop from the utility it is a 3 wire drop just not the twisted kind. They dropped 3 separate lines, unlike my updated neighbors who's drop is a 3 line twisted setup that looks to be larger gauge. It comes from a telephone pole to house. Utility told me I need a new taller mast before they would give me a 200A drop and ofcouse a new 200A panel.

Thx. For your reply, my dad will be happy to know his knowledge is still pretty close to target, he tries to keep up with it all.

NP, on the stuff about HB and reply to Labman. Thank you both for taking your time to answer at all.

Thx. Again
    Zaphoid
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2005, 04:21 PM
    The 100 amp service is border line , but adequate, if only a couple of people live there. The calcs bring it just over into 200 amp. If the residents are conservative, the 100 amp should suffice until an upgrade can be done.

But the good news is there will be plenty of power for a small shop.

Nov 25, 2005, 08:06 AM
    Thanks again.
    Great to hear that I should be OK, till the 200A can be done and should be OK with a small shop once the 200A is in.

Thx. Again for your time & Happy Belated Thanksgiving.

Zaphoid

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen remodel [ 5 Answers ]

We need to install our sink and the dishwasher, the existing drain pipe for this is currently blocking the dishwasher in the back. I need to know if I can change the drain from the current pipe into a 2 inch vent pipe. Tough question to ask and hard to describe. Any help would be wonderful.

Basement Remodel [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of redoing a basement bathroom in which I need to relocate all the drain locations to one extent or another. I would like to reuse the old 4" toilet drain if possible so that all the repaired concrete would get covered by tile. Where the new toilet is going to go is in the SW...

Remodeling a remodel [ 3 Answers ]

A ceiling light was removed during a previous remodel and power was directed to supply a ceiling fan with a light kit installed. The ceiling fan was subsequently replaced with another unit (also with a light kit installed.) At the old box there is currently no light fixture. Just a bundle of...

Remodel Question [ 3 Answers ]

We are re-modeling a 1/2 bath, and have removed the old 32' x 32" shower. The drain is 16" centered from each corner. We want to expand the shower to about 34" x 48", making it a ceramic interior. My question is how do I make a new shower basin? The drain, I believe, is cast iron, in a concrete...

Big Bathroom Remodel [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, love this site!  I'm pretty handy around the house, but know very little about plumbing.  I have the basic concepts in hand okay, I just don't know any of the rules. My question is this: My current upstairs bathroom is tied into a 4" vertical waste stack that runs from my basement to...

View more questions Search