Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2005, 02:16 PM
    Broken bathtub drain - PVC near slab
    During replacing a bathtub, the drain pipe got caugt on the tub and it broke the PCV joint near the slab. The coupling broke, but the PCV piece that comes in through the slab fully intact. However, it is still glued into half of the coupling. There does not appear to be enough room to cut and simply put a new coupling on (although if that is the only way, then it may be possible). Is there some way to cut/heat/?? The coupling off, leaving the PVC piece in tact.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 20, 2005, 03:14 PM
    ' Is there some way to cut/heat/?? The coupling off, leaving the PVC piece intact?"
    No, when PVC is glued the two pieces melt into each other and form a weld.
    You don't mention a square hole in the slab called a tub dap-out or tub hole. The trap sets down inside. Do you have such a hole in your slab? Tom
    Handyathome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 11:53 AM
    Best bet is to chip away the concrete around the pipe until you expose enough to cut the old coupler off and install a new one. Most slabs will chip out easily with a cold chisel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving Bathtub across room on a concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering changing the location of my bathtub. I'd like to replace it with a whirlpool garden-style tub, and move it over to another wall. On the new wall the drain end of the tub would butt against the existing freestanding shower. This would require breaking through the slab to...

Bathtub drain broken under slab - HELP! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1975 single level home built on a flat slab with NO crawl space. The tub drain has apparently broken and when the tub drains you can hear it hitting the fill dirt below. The walls are tiled. Unknowingly this has been going on for sometime now and the house has settled on one end w/...

Bathtub Drain concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I'm just finishing up the basment. The bath drain is roughed in. My problem is the rough-in is on the wrong side. I want the bathtub installed with the plumbing fitures on the same wall as the toilet. Can I run a drain line under the tub?

Installing a bathtub on a concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a toilet in the basement with proper vent. I want to add a bathtub near the toilet. After I jackhammer up the concrete and install the tub trap and drainage into the toilet drain, how do I seal the floor under the tub? The outside part is open and it should be easy to pour concrete mix and...

Installing a bathtub on a concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a tub to existing plumbing, but it's on a concrete slab. We've jackhammered the concrete so that I have enough room underneath to put in the drain and p-trap, but am I going to have to buy the tub, set it in place, hook up the plumbing and then remove it to replace the concrete?

View more questions Search