Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annaintoronto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Connected to wireless network. Can't access internet
    Hello,

I have a Dell laptop with Windows XP which is connected to a wireless network. Windows is currently managing my wireless connection, and tells me that I am connected to my network and the signal strength is excellent. I have always been able to use the internet perfectly on this laptop with these settings, and then suddenly I cannot get on IE or MSN.. to make it more confusing, occasionally Bittorrent programs work and will download, but still IE will not connect to sites.

I tried connecting the laptop by hardwiring it to the internet connection, and this didn't work either: it said I was connected, but nothing was working.

Any suggestions?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Is there interent hooked up to the connection and is it working, have you looked at your wireless router ( what type is being used) does it show a proper internet connection.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2007, 04:52 PM
    I think security settings and would also suspect your firewall or router

Can't connect to certain Web Sites

Maybe some of these posts will help -- virus last resort
    srivastava_213 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Connect The Computer With YOur Internet Cable.. are you Online..

NO..

Call Internet Provider...

Yes

Then are you able to Ping Yahoo and 4.2.2.2 with Your Computer..?

Do let Me Know..?
    ProjectAdvisor Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Aug 8, 2009, 11:03 AM

It sounds like a software problem, rather than hardware, since you are able to download intermittently.

It maybe that some of the recent upgrades on IE are not on your computer. Try downloading IE again, the next time you do get online.

OR try downloading FireFox and see if your problem goes away. You can always go back to using IE later.
    lexy_08 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 05:03 AM

Are other computers online through the same connection? Try using a different PC either wired or wireless and then you can isolate the problem further..

It could be a browser problem or an ISP problem.. Im 70% sure its browser problem cause you're able to download intermitently but unable to open a website on your browser..
    georgeryder9 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 12:53 AM
    Also I would make a check on the internet setting on your internet browsers such as Proxy settings. Maybe it will help.
    nokia bluetooth headset

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless connection connected but can't connect to the internet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I just hooked up a Linksys wireless router to my PC, and I have a connection on my laptop, but I get a "the page cannot be displayed" message when I try to connect to the internet. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks!

Connected to wireless network, but can't get on the internet [ 4 Answers ]

I am from the US and I'm currently studying in Spain and on the roof of my house here, I have a very strong connection to a wireless network that is titled, "wireless". It is not locked and doesn't not require any kind of password and I connect right away without it saying that I have limited or...

Connected to wireless router but no internet [ 2 Answers ]

I am running windows XP home on my notebook. My wife's desktop is connected through the router via and eithernet cable. I can see and connect to the router, but cannot get internet. I keep getting the work offline screen. Please Help. Michael

I'm connected to a wireless network but I can't view the web. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there.I'm trying to connect to an open network called "lynksys".My PC connects without a problem,and I'm getting an excellent signal,but I can't view any web pages,I just go to a page that says "The Page Cannot Be Displayed".Any ideas on what I can try?

Wireless network not connected [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I connected my Gateway system to router through wireless adopter It worked fine for some time Once the system was shutdown suddenly (switch off) After that I could not connect to network I am getting the following error message when I click refresh network list "Make sure the...

View more questions Search