Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    huggy1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 06:48 AM
    New invention idea
    I am a retired 64 yr old man on disability and Need financal help in a new security lock invention for the home or business!

I want to build a proto type and get it on the market. Checked a couple online site that say they help but they want up front money.
    To reserch my idea, and want me to send them the details on it.

Hopefully we can make some decent money off it.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Wish you the best of Luck, I have been designing, Modifying, Inventing things most of my life. The Problem I have seen are Lawyers. Never found one with a spine.
    There are a couple of Invention Kits, Don't Know if they work. Have been tinkering with locks for about 40 years, Can Pick Most. Curious if yours is Electronic, Mechanical,
    Or Both. You don't have to say, I do wish you the Best.
    I'll see if I can locate the 3 Major sites, Take Care.
    Oh Yeah "Up Front Money", Everybody wants money. Investors seem to want Maximum Profits from scams and cons, Dollar being the Bottom Line.
    Making things Faster, Lighter, More Reliable, Safer, not usually a factor.

Nov 10, 2007, 09:48 AM
    It's Mechanical , could possibly be designed electrical as well
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Huggy1, Do not, I repeat, do not send it to an invention company! They will steal it! Get a provisional Patent on it! Go to Barnes and Nobel and buy the book that describes how to do it. A provisional Patent lasts for 1 year and only cost $60.00 to file with the gov. That gives you time to try to sell the idea and also place "Pat Pend" on it. If you find someone that is interested then good, get a real patent, if not, then you are not out the enormous cost of a regular patent. Now, the rest of the story:
    Remember I said the patent companies will rip you off? This is how they do it. They help you file a provisional patent and tell you it is safely patented in your name. Well, it is, for one year. Remember I said a Provisional Patent is good for one year? Now, they shop the invention around and if they find a buyer and it looks as if it will make a lot of money, they wait until your Provisional Patent is expired and guess what? They patent it for their own! GOOD LUCK AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    Do not tell the scum anything. Get a provisional before you do anything!
    I thought up one of the greatest ideas 15 years ago and you can see it out there today making tons of money. Not for me though! That's OK, I learned.

Nov 12, 2007, 09:16 PM
    Thanks for the info I will definitely do that.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Good Luck! Wait, luck has nothing to do with anything. Hard work and determination will get it to market.
    esnow2001 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2011, 10:30 PM
    The idea may be able to pay for itself but be sure you know who will carry your idea and who your market is and what your market specifically want before manufacturing it. Do not forget to file a patent no later than 1 year after you disclose your idea to anyone or risk legally losing it if it has not already been produced or stolen by someone else. You must be financially ready to file a patent, which can run you into the thousands of dollars, so do not disclose it until you have all or at least a good portion of the money to do this. Research or get your idea thoroughly researched before formally disclosing it to someone with your representative/witness or lawyer present. I am not a lawyer so check with your lawyer before taking or acting on anyone's advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Invention of radio [ 1 Answers ]

Today is the 100th anniversay of the first intercontinental radio transmission, from America to England. Is there a good period drama movie about the events leading up to this momentous event?

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

Protecting an invention? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone advise me please? I have an over-active, caffeine-driven mind! LOL, and frequently come-up with ideas. Often these come to nothing, but some of my ideas might be worth pursuing. However: I cannot afford the cost of patenting, and I am concerned about divuldging my ideas to...

New Invention Idea, help getting funds for prototype [ 3 Answers ]

Is there anyplace I can go to get help financially with getting a patent and getting the prototype built? My idea is a car that drives itself, not by mag rails embedded in the road, but by computer system in the car.:)

View more questions Search