Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apogee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Sick dog
    My dog is suddenly sick for a couple of days. Yesterday she was better. This morn she is vomitting clear liquid and will not drink. She sits in front of the water bowl for a long time but will not drink
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Get to the vet. I hope yours has Saturday hours.

Nov 10, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman

Thanks so much. It sounds like Parvo virus to me.
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Nov 10, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by apogee
    Thanks so much. It sounds like Parvo virus to me.
    I agree. It sure does sound like parvo. I lost a doberman pup to parvo. The pup needs to be put on fluids immediately if she is to have a chance. If she is too far gone, the best thing for her is to be put down. Only your vet will know what's best. Just get there ASAP. I really hope it isn't parvo. Best of luck to you and puppy.

Nov 10, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by katieperez
    I agree. It sure does sound like parvo. I lost a doberman pup to parvo. The pup needs to be put on fluids immediately if she is to have a chance. If she is too far gone, the best thing for her is to be put down. Only your vet will know what's best. Just get there ASAP. I really hope it isn't parvo. Best of luck to you and puppy.
    Thank you. However, it isn't parvo. We got her to vet, but they don't know what is wrong. She isn't dehydrated yet, but she stands in front of water bowl and won't drink. Vet said to give her some Pepto Bismol and pedialyte. I gave her a small amount of fenigren and water in a baster. She is almost 6 months old, but is just now cutting teeth, she is a Pit Bull--maybe that has something to do with her sickness. Otherwise, I just don't know
    I will watch her tonight. Hopefully tomorrow she will be better.

Nov 10, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman

Thanks so much again. I got her to the vet, and it isn't parvo. They didn't know what was wrong with her. Said to give small amount of pepto bismol and pedialyte. What I don't understand is why she stands in front of water bowl but won't drink. This worries me. However, she is not dehydrated yet.

Nov 10, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Comment on labman's post
    Took my dog to vet, and she does not have parvo.
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Nov 10, 2007, 01:59 PM
    I am so glad to hear she doesn't have parvo. What a relief! I really hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Nov 11, 2007, 02:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by katieperez
    I am so glad to hear she doesn't have parvo. What a relief! I really hope she gets to feeling better soon.
    Thank you again. She doesn't seem to be doing any better: I am so sad. She was such a happy puppy but would eat anything inside or out, so it is no telling what could be wrong. Yesterday she went to an emergency clinic. Monday I will take her to a good vet, if she isn't any better.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 06:42 AM
    apogee, more tests do need to be run so it is good that you are taking her back to the vet on Monday. Since you didn't mention anything about her stools or problems eating, is it possible that she ate something she shouldn't have when you weren't looking? She made have an obstruction that causes her discomfort when she drinks water. Something that will swell up when wet, like a sponge. The other thought that comes to my mind, is a bit alarming. I hate to bring it up but it is something else that needs to be discussed with your vet. Was she given her rabies shots? Over the past couple of months, has she come into contact with any other animals that may not have been immunized? One of the end stage symptoms of rabies is the desire to drink water without the ability to do so.

I hope whatever she is going through is nothing serious and easily diagnosed by your vet. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.
    pissy07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 10:09 AM
    My 6month old pit is eating but she is throwing up her food soft and hard. What should I do
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 10:51 AM
    It is quite typical for a 6 month old to have foraged something indigestible. Likely most of the vets are closed for the weekend now. I would see how she does. If she hasn't settled down by Monday see the vet. You might try a bland diet.

If a dog is having trouble keeping anything down or continuing diarrhea try this out of the manual I have from a large, knowledgeable dog guide school.

Bland recovery diet for dogs.

3 parts cooked rice, one part boiled hamburger or chicken, or cottage cheese. I think you can substitute boiled potatoes for the rice. Once in an emergency, we bought a plain baked potato from Wendy's.

This is meant for short time settling a dog's digestive tract. It is not the complete and balanced diet they need long term. I have seen it work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is sick [ 5 Answers ]

My black dog won't eat what shoud I do?:( I fill so sad .:( :( help me plase

My dog is sick [ 1 Answers ]

My dog started to loose weight. Then he had a lump in his throat and had trouble breathing. I tried to feel if there was something lodged in there but was just swollen so I gave him some benedryl. This was about 3 am. The next day his throat was not swollen and he ate and acted like he felt better....

Is my dog sick? [ 7 Answers ]

My dog is usually food crazy and eating a lot... but now the past 3 days she won't eat food! And instead has been puking and eating a lot of grass... :( And today I've looked in her poop and found many little white worms that look similar to maggots... Can anyone please help me!! Is my dog OK?...

Sick Dog? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a lab. I've had him for about 10 years. Normally, he loves to play outside, Plays fetch, chases anything that comes in our yard, plays with the cat and other dog. Yesterday, he started acting funny. He doesn't care about doing anything. He will only go a few steps, then lays down. He went...

My dog is sick [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir... I m not sure wats happening gto my dog but is sick. He doesn't drink water and vomits what ever he eats

View more questions Search