Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3357 Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Abstract of judgment
    I received an "Abstract of Judgment" limited civil and a lien notice from the county recorders office . The recording was requested by a collection agency for credit card debt. Nothing in particular was mentioned as having a lien on it , just a lien notice. This came about from the collection agency getting a default judgment on me without ever serving me any papers. (however they did file a fraudulent proof of substituted service). I have filed a motion to set aside the default judgment with an answer denying the debt. Hopefully it will be granted so I can fight the lying s.o.b.s. But what is the abstract of judgment and lien all about. I live in California. Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 3357
    I received an "Abstract of Judgment" limited civil and a lien notice from the county recorders office . The recording was requested by a collection agency for credit card debt. Nothing in particular was mentioned as having a lien on it , just a lien notice. This came about from the collection agency getting a default judgment on me without ever serving me any papers. (however they did file a fraudulent proof of substituted service). I have filed a motion to set aside the default judgment with an answer denying the debt. Hopefully it will be granted so i can fight the lieing s.o.b.s. But what is the abstract of judgment and lien all about. I live in California. Thanks

Straight from common law: "abstract of judgment n. a written summary of a judgment which states how much money the losing defendant owes to the person who won the lawsuit (judgment creditor), the rate of interest to be paid on the judgment amount, court costs, and any specific orders that the losing defendant (judgment debtor) must obey, which abstract is acknowledged and stamped so that it can be recorded and made official with the government. The purpose of an abstract of judgment is to create a public record and create a lien or claim if necessary on any real estate property owned or later acquired by the defendant located in the county in which the abstract of judgment is recorded. If the loser does not pay the judgment voluntarily then the winner can force a sheriff's sale of any property to collect. There are several problems: 1) to find the county where the loser owns real estate property; 2) the probability that there are secured loans, tax liens and/or other judgments that come ahead of the judgment lien; 3) the possibility that the loser/debtor may go bankrupt and avoid paying the debt"

What are the circumstances of the fraudulent affidavit of service?

Nov 23, 2007, 12:40 AM
    Thanks for your response. But what I am not understanding is what is this lien on? Does it mean if I purchase real property in the future they can try to extract money from that somehow? The lien doesn't specify any thing in particular. I own a Mobile Home but its not considered real property so is it safe for now? And as well my other personal property?
    The Default judgment was gotten buy either the process server falsifying the substituted proof of service or the lawyers doing so. I was never served and the "co occupant" they claim was served does not exist. Also I never received the summons in the mail that they claimed they mailed to me. Also the declaration of diligence has 1 attempted service listed that I know for a fact is a lie because I was here at that time.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 3357
    Thanks for your response. But what I am not understanding is what is this lien on? Does it mean if I purchase real property in the future they can try to extract money from that somehow? The lien doesn't specify any thing in particular. I own a Mobile Home but its not considered real property so is it safe for now? And as well my other personal property?
    The Default judgment was gotten buy either the process server falsifying the substituted proof of service or the lawyers doing so. I was never served and the "co occupant" they claim was served does not exist. Also I never received the summons in the mail that they claimed they mailed to me. Also the declaration of diligence has 1 attempted service listed that I know for a fact is a lie because I was here at that time.

I trust you will also argue insufficient or incomplete service -

Nov 24, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Well, Yea

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible judgment [ 1 Answers ]

I have a collection agency that has forwarded three private student loans to an attorney to move forward with judgment. The background on this is that I used a company to help me consolidate all my student loans about two years ago. I was under the impression that ALL of my loans, federal and...

Obtaining Abstract of Title & Survey [ 7 Answers ]

I have an unique situation. I bought a house with a grant from the County I live in. Due to numerous problems that I believe are related to the construction house was built (they has house built) they are offering to purchase house back for the exact amount I owe the bank. They requested an updated...

Can they get a judgment against me? [ 1 Answers ]

OK I'm on s.s disability got behind On credit card. Now I'm getting all Those calls. Can they put a judgment Against me. I own nothing

Abstract and gangster stuff [ 3 Answers ]

Man ya'all art lovahs now what this is this is the thread that tells u that abstract is off the hoock because it shows how much you love the things that don't make sense and that you love mystery.3D-abstract No gagstah hood is tight because you see bad as in cool car up in yo hoods and ya'all go...

View more questions Search