Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Nov 20, 2005, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    I needed a laugh this morning and this is it,
    "s_cianci disagrees: Every war is to directly defend the US, in one way or another"
    Spoken like a true right wingnut!! From Reagan right on the Republicans have led us into quagmire after quagmire. And please don't pull that old saw that Clinton agreed that Iraq had WMD. He wasn't the one that put us in the middle against advisement. It's not his kids that are paying the price.
    You also gave me a chuckle when you said." Nothing in the military is illegal unless it violates the UCMJ or the Geneva Convention"
    I guess torture doesn't violate the Geneva Convention unless some other nation does it."What world do you live in anyhow?
    I am a combat vet from the last war that we went into to defend ourselves after we were attacked. Since you seem to think that every war we have waged has been for defensive reasons I'll not even bother telling you which one it was. In the meantime you keep on sounding like a cheap imitation of Cheny or Karl Rove and I'll keep on shooting you down. Tom

You use the word "quagmire" so loosly I have to question if you are using it correctly. Tell me, what are all the "quagmire's" we have allegedly fought in?

You guys also need to remember how long it took for us to get a constitution and finally get peace. It took about a hundred years for our country to start progressing as a union. What if no one helped us? You have no right to claim we are a superpower but aren't willing to help those under us. That's what I call classism, racism, and any other discriminating term. You are so obsessed with equal outcome here in america I'd tink you're a bunch of communists. WHAT IS WRONG WITH HELPING ANOTHER COUNTRY? You blame republicans (very very proud republicans) like me calling me racist and telling me I'm bad because I don't agree with gays, yet when I want to help needy people of another country held under tyrranny you say NO. Is it just me or does anyone else see the hypocrisy in it all?
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 20, 2005, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzkid89
    First I don't really know what is going on in Iraq, but I do know what is going on at home. I go to my highschool and theyre are recuiters there asking if I am willing to do combat, and I don't know what to say. A lot of people have their ideas on this but most of them arent at risk of fighting, the majority of you on here will not fight this war, but yet you tell us to go out there and do what's right. Right is a point of view. I know and commend any body who goes out there and fights in Iraq, and yes most of them do it for other reasons(money, jobs, education). For instance a girl who sits in front of me in calculus tells me that her future husband is going to fight in Iraq and she will join the army too, not for the freedom of the Iraqi's but rather so they can have a nice house and a white pickett fence. They do it to keep the american dream alive not to help the right wing or the left wing, and that is honorable. But remember that most teenager want to start there lives not have to go out and have a chance of it being taken away, that is a major decision to say the least, and it takes a special kind of person to have the capacity to kill. So if you ask me if I am in favor of Iraq, no I am not but I don't dissaprove either, I am more angered that my generation is looked down upon and considered by most as having no ethics or no ambition and that all we do to is drink/sleep/watch mtv/ and fight with each other, yet we are the ones fighting the war. So instead of everyone putting us down and saying that the world is going to hell and we are driving why can't you at the very least express some sort of gratitude for fighting this war, when in all honesty we don't have to.
    You are a very intelligent young person, and I like what you write. Yes, under peaceful circumstances, a lot of couples would join the military as a chance to better their financial and social future. There is nothing wrong with that. But in cases of conflict, we have to accept the obligations of that signature. I'm 55, from a mostly military family and proud of it. If I were of age, I'd join up and do my duty along with all the other young people who believe in the freedom and rights for others, to include oppressed countries - as it's human to want the equal rights for all living on this planet. OR, is all the media talk about China, Korea, and former Yugoslavia just to mention a few, a subject to get 15 minutes of fame. Everyone talks about human rights, and just like everything else it has it's price. Some are willing to pay, some not.
    Picture this planet as your neighborhood and hear a child cry constantly because it does not get the care, love, and nourishement from parents who are always out having a party.. would you be one to call the authorities, or ignore the issue. Or what would you do if you saw someone raped or robbed? See the picture? This planet is our home, we are all a big family with bickerig siblings, loving siblings, selfish, and non-committed siblings. We all have a choice regarding the amount of emotional and financial investment we want to expend and how to spread it. We were young once too, and had the same thoughts and fears as you do, to include the arguments for and against the same on-going issues, just different eras - and each had it's fanatics, gangs, crime, etc, that's all - and it was not as wide-spread by the media, but still there. I for one don't judge you and wish you all the health and success and any other goal in your life!
    Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving! Some cannot even be thankful for one day of peace.. we all need to hope for change.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Nov 20, 2005, 06:40 PM
    First thank you chery for your compliments, I do to enjoy what you write, like I said previously I don't know all the facts about Iraq, and I agree that we should step in and help these people out, but I don't agree that war has to be used, I would hope more diplomatic procedures could have been taken, and as I understand it we tried that and there was no cooperation, however I just don't like war and military conflict as it will hurt everyone and usually when you look back on things there might have been an alternate route, but I do understand that we need to help just I just don't agree with us trying to turn them into a nother america and instituting western civilization, such as religion, and democracy, because just because our system works for us doesn't allow us to spread it like it is a cure. In the end I understand that they need help and all I can say is I hope things turn out for the best and happy holidays.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 20, 2005, 08:18 PM
    First thank you chery for your compliments, I do to enjoy what you write, like I said previously I don't know all the facts about Iraq, and I agree that we should step in and help these people out, but I don't agree that war has to be used, I would hope more diplomatic procedures could have been taken, and as I understand it we tried that and there was no cooperation, however I just don't like war and military conflict as it will hurt everyone and usually when you look back on things there might have been an alternate route, but I do understand that we need to help just I just don't agree with us trying to turn them into a nother america and instituting western civilization, such as religion, and democracy, because just because our system works for us doesn't allow us to spread it like it is a cure. In the end I understand that they need help and all I can say is I hope things turn out for the best and happy holidays.
    Thanks, you too. Just because I laud the military and it's traditions does not mean I agree with all politicians and/or the money behind the motives. Maybe our next generation will be less currupt and make some changes, but right now, it's all we've got. I'm talking about the entire world here, not just the U.S. Please don't forget about all attempts of 'ethnic cleansing' that's still rampant, unfortunately, so, I'd opt for democracy.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 20, 2005, 08:31 PM
    From the mouths of babes-for someone so young you sure nailed it.We could have done a few things different but its too late for that.Just one question tho-The Iraqis under Hussein were feared through out the region and among his own followers. How much training do these guys need anyway to defend themselves and their country.(can you tell I don't believe Bush/Cheny at all but support the troops 100%) :cool:

Nov 20, 2005, 08:35 PM
    Comment on talaniman's post
    Thanks for the compliment much appreciated, I also liked the question you asked and I hope someone can answer it.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 20, 2005, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    From the mouths of babes-for someone so young you sure nailed it.We could have done a few things different but its too late for that.Just one question tho-The Iraqis under Hussein were feared thru out the region and among his own followers. How much training do these guys need anyway to defend themselves and their country.(can you tell I don't believe Bush/Cheny at all but support the troops 100%) :cool:
    This is just a guess, but those that fought under his regime were forced to do some 'ethnic cleansing' among fellow countrymen too, and if the troops pulled out now, it would start all over again, which would not be financially profitable for any of the other countries just waiting to get in, i.e. France, Germany, Russia, etc. Then there might be influence against the western world and Israel from the surrounding countries. Just a thought.. Wars are not only fought for independence but for financial gain and power as well.

Nov 20, 2005, 10:04 PM
    I was just eyeing this thread and something popped into me head, this war is very similar to Vietnam War. The reason we went to vietnam was to prevent communism from being spread to South Vietnam, but the problem with that war is that America didn't want the Russian way(communism) to take over South Vietnam, but years before that people believed that communism was an acceptable political party, but since the cold war happened, communism has been frowned upon. When communism, ideally, is a great system, when Karl Marx developed his theories it was for the betterment of Russia, I believe it was during or before the October revolutions, and here is the point I am trying to make, we have taken the tyrant out, Saddam is gone, now we need to extract all US forces, and handle this diplomatically, we used our force to instate a new government, we have done all we can, we need the Iraqi people to take it from here, or else it will be a lost cause like Vietnam, a wast of money and lives, we are supposed to help and help them get off the ground, we have done that, I fear if we stay there any longer that it would end up more beneficial to just claim the territory U.S. and just enstate all of our rules. I know there is still gangs ruining the country but we need to pull out and let the UN handle this with Iraq. Just because we are a superpower doesn't mean we have to do everything? Or does it?
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 20, 2005, 10:36 PM
    I was just eyeing this thread and something popped into me head, this war is very similar to Vietnam War. The reason we went to vietnam was to prevent communism from being spread to South Vietnam, but the problem with that war is that America didn't want the Russian way(communism) to take over South Vietnam, but years before that people believed that communism was an acceptable political party, but since the cold war happened, communism has been frowned upon. When communism, ideally, is a great system, when Karl Marx developed his theories it was for the betterment of Russia, I believe it was during or before the October revolutions, and here is the point I am trying to make, we have taken the tyrant out, Saddam is gone, now we need to extract all US forces, and handle this diplomatically, we used our force to instate a new government, we have done all we can, we need the Iraqi people to take it from here, or else it will be a lost cause like Vietnam, a wast of money and lives, we are supposed to help and help them get off the ground, we have done that, I fear if we stay there any longer that it would end up more beneficial to just claim the territory U.S. and just enstate all of our rules. I know there is still gangs ruining the country but we need to pull out and let the UN handle this with Iraq. Just because we are a superpower doesn't mean we have to do everything? Or does it?
    The only profit gained from Vietman was keeping munitions factories going. This is a completely different scene. If you look at history, this part of he world has always been soaked with blood, and unfortunately will continue because of the hatred fed through the milk of mothers to their babies from the beginning. This might not make sense to you at present, but think about it.

Nov 21, 2005, 01:47 AM
    I know I might be getting off topic here, but does anyone know of what the US has done with Saddam Huessein, I remember him being captured by I never knew what was going to happen to him?
    Expert

Nov 21, 2005, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    The only profit gained from Vietman was keeping munitions factories going. This is a completely different scene. If you look at history, this part of he world has always been soaked with blood, and unfortunately will continue because of the hatred fed through the milk of mothers to their babies from the beginning. This might not make sense to you at present, but think about it.
    The same is true of the middle east and if you follow history the US has been knee deep in it .Saddam is on trial in iraq and his lawyers are afrid for their lives. :cool:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2005, 05:51 AM
    I know I might be getting off topic here, but does anyone know of what the US has done with Saddam Huessein, I remember him being captured by I never knew what was gonna happen to him?
    There is a trial currently underway but his lawyers keep getting murdered.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110800368.html
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2005, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SSchultz0956
    You guys also need to remember how long it took for us to get a constitution and finally get peace. As a matter of fact it took about a hundred years for our country to start progressing as a union. What if noone helped us? You have no right to claim we are a superpower but aren't willing to help those under us. That's what i call classism, racism, and any other discriminating term. You are so obsessed with equal outcome here in america i'd tink your a bunch of communists. WHAT IS WRONG WITH HELPING ANOTHER COUNTRY? You blame republicans (very very proud republicans) like me calling me racist and telling me i'm bad because i dont agree with gays, yet when i want to help needy people of another country held under tyrranny you say NO. Is it just me or does anyone else see the hypocrisy in it all?!
    Who has said anything against helping another country? But invading a country and overthrowing an existing government goes a bit over that line. Did any Iraqis ask for our help? The US has supported several totalitarian governments when it suited our interests (or perceived interests).

Nor did I see anyone calling you a racist. Bigot maybe, but not a racist. While a racist is almost always a bigot, a bigot is not necessarily a racist. No one has said you were bad for not agreeing with gays either. We have just disagreed with your position. Again, emotional arguments instead of factual ones.

How long did it take to get a constitution? Well the drafting committee took about 6 months to come up with the draft that was submitted to the colonies for ratification. That ratification process took about a year and a half.

Not sure what you are referring to in your 100 years statement.

Scott<>

Nov 21, 2005, 07:02 AM
    Whiz,
    You have posted some very intelligent and thoughtful remarks, but you need to study your history and current events much more. I would strongly suggest that you pick up your daily paper and read the news. You don't have to read all the articles, but scanning the headlines and reading the first paragraph or two will give you a much better idea of what is going on in the world.

For example, you question about Hussein shows a real lack of following even the highlights of what is going on. The trial has been prominently featured.

Karl Marx and Frederick Engels were Germans. When they wrote the Communist Manifesto, it was not for any specific country, but rather as the blueprint for a social revolution. The Manifesto was written in 1848 more than 50 years before the October Revolutions. It was adopted by radical Russians, seeking to overthrow the Tsar that ruled Russia but it was never written by Marx for Russia.

Communism as a political system was corrupted by the Russians. And it failed because it really goes against human nature.

As to pulling out of Iraq, I'm afraid your naïveté is showing. I have been vocal about the mistake that was made in getting involved in the first place. But the fact is we are stuck. For us to just pull out at this point would be to destabilize the situation and just make things worse. Yes we need to withdraw, but it needs to be done right to maintain the stability of the region.

Scott<>
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2005, 07:36 AM
    Get Out?
    Hi,
    "But the fact is we are stuck. For us to just pull out at this point would be to destabilize the situation and just make things worse. yes we need to withdraw, but it needs to be done right to maintain the stability of the region."

The above quote was used many times during the Viet Nam war. Many said if we pull out now, it will give the wrong signal to the Troops; not to mention "stabilize the region". Over 50,000 American lives were lost in that war. I am not saying this many will be lost in Iraq. One life is too many for a "cause" that was a mistake to begin with. We get caught up in fighting all over the world, staying much longer than we should, because some think we have to stay there, to "stabilize". The pull-out timetable is now 2006, which is yet to be seen.
    Expert

Nov 21, 2005, 07:37 AM
    There has never been stability in the middle east And sadly probably never will be :eek:

Nov 21, 2005, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    "But the fact is we are stuck. For us to just pull out at this point would be to destabilize the situation and just make things worse. yes we need to withdraw, but it needs to be done right to maintain the stability of the region."

The above quote was used many times during the Viet Nam war. Many said if we pull out now, it will give the wrong signal to the Troops; not to mention "stabilize the region". Over 50,000 American lives were lost in that war. I am not saying this many will be lost in Iraq. One life is too many for a "cause" that was a mistake to begin with. We get caught up in fighting all over the world, staying much longer than we should, because some think we have to stay there, to "stabilize". The pull-out timetable is now 2006, which is yet to be seen.
    You are right, the same argument was used to stay in VietNam. And look what happened when we just pulled out! And the situation is worse in Iraq. At least North Vietnam had a stable government to take over.

Do you think that we are really supporting our troops by calling for a unilateral pullout?

I'm curious, how did you feel about the prospect of this war before we invaded?

Scott<>
    Expert

Nov 21, 2005, 09:44 AM
    Had to junp in
    Right after "W" was first elected, the consensus in our neighborhood was we would be in Iraq within a year.To our surprise that didn't happen.But along comes 911 and we end up in Afghanistan.We were all for it,go get Bin Laden.Then to our surprise,we hear about the connection between alQaida and Saddam and weapons of mass destruction.Next thing you know we have invaded Iraq.At the time I thought it was a stretch to connect the Saddam regime to alQaida especially after the U.N. found nothing in Iraq no evidence of wmd's,but George went anyway.What was interesting were the deals everybody had cut to get oil from Saddam at a cutrate price(france,germany,russia to name a few) and the oil for food abuse that came out and the U.N.sect.general knew about it.I suspect that George knew too.Our invasion cut all that short but still I would not have committed going to Iraq.In light of the debacle with the homeland security and the lack of a solid plan to fight terror the only thing I see is **** Cheney's boys making millions no billion in Iraq. :cool:

Nov 21, 2005, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    There has never been stability in the middle east And sadly probably never will be :eek:
    This is true, but one can dream ;)

I also agree with your other points. Your view of the history of the Iraqi invasion jives almost exactly with mine. I supported Afghanistan without reservation. I was just as adamantly against Iraq. While the US has manufactured justification for war before (Remember the Maine!), it has never been as blatant or as imperialistic as this time.

Scott<>
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 21, 2005, 02:15 PM
    Just My Opinion..
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,

It's unfortunate, and the VietNam war was doomed to be a fiasco - it was started by another country, and the US was asked to 'clean up', some troops were not killed by the enemy, but by the cheap drugs provided by the enemy and also 'friendly fire'. What gets me upset is how the troops that did survive got treated after coming home, even though they made several munitions factories rich. The mid-east is an unfortunate necessity to prevent threats worldwide - but also for self-gain for countries waiting like vultures for profits. As I said before, there has always been blood in that ground and will continue to be and in my opinion it has to do with the rising dissent of religious fanatics as well and must be contained and not allowed to spread. This was not the case in VietNam. I wonder how the surviving troops of this 'crusade' will be treated upon their return. Will they also be a burden to those who don't want to face the reality of weakensses within? Does anyone know where the word 'skapegoat' originated? :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The gift of the Holy Spirit [ 7 Answers ]

This is a two part question- 1.-- I am looking for scriptures that would shows where anyone ever spoke in an unknown tongue(unknown to the speaker & hearer) after receiving the Holy Ghost. 2.--- I also need some verses to support being slain in the spirit. Where is there any record where anyone...

"Speaking against the Holy Ghost" [ 2 Answers ]

Jesus used the curious phrase as reported by Matthew, Matthew 12:31-32 "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it...

View more questions Search