Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skgowd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 02:46 PM
    CPT (F 1 Visa) independent contractor employment - approved by university
    Hello,

I am an international student under F-1 Visa status. I am interested in working for a company under part-time CPT. The employer however is not ready to give me a W-2. They want me to work as an independent contractor (1099 basis).

I had this employment approved by my university. My form I-20 also reflects that I am allowed to work for this employer. However, I am not sure if (as an international student) I am allowed to work as an independent contractor. I do not want to get into trouble over this. Please let me know if it is legal for me to work with this employer. Also, how do I report my taxes? Which form do I fill?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 08:05 PM
    I answered your question via email. Did you get it?
    skgowd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Yes.. I received it. Thanks!!
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Glad to help!
    raj83168 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Please forward me that email too, I am in the same situation :((
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 02:10 AM
    You can work as independent contractor. It won't make any difference to you since F1 (for 5 years) and OPT period are exempt from FICA taxes.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Jan 28, 2008, 06:43 AM
    We've answered this many times before. It is an immigration question, not a tax question and I don't see any qualified immigration attorneys on this site.

However, you should check with an immigration attorney because the visa status does not permit self-employment and technically that is what you are engaging in.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 01:36 PM
    I agree with TTE.

While it makes no difference tax-wise whether a F1 student works as a independent contractor or an employee, it IS a violation of the visa.

But again, it is the COMPANY's (and, by extension, the UNIVERSITY's, since they approved the job) violation, not the student's. The student has little, if any, choice, in this issue. If they protest too hard, they get fired or, at best, are NOT offered a job or sponsored for the H-1 visa by the company at the end of the OPT period.

This is another case where either some consistent enforcement of the rules by a U.S. government agency OR, failing that, a change in the rules, would fix this problem!
    Karayantr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2009, 01:06 PM

OK I have the same problem too right now, I am eligible to work off campus under cpt but the employer wants to sign me as independent contractor, so how can I do this without being illegal or at least just a little illegal, I really need help, I don't want to get in trouble with immiration, taxes are not big deal, I can fill forms, etc, whatever I need to fill
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 01:15 PM
    As noted in my earlier posting, you really have no choice in the matter, and neither the IRS nor the USCIS (who ARE aware of these facts of life) will hold it against you.

So accept the position as an independent contractor, and file the Form 1040NR with the Schedule C (but NOT Schedule SE).

Sep 17, 2009, 01:17 PM

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, so you telling me I should just tell my scholl the employer wants to hire me as independent contractor not as a emploee, and then just fill the forms that you mentioned, and you think there is not going to be a problem, not for myself at least?
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 01:18 PM
    That is correct!

Sep 17, 2009, 01:26 PM

Thanks a lot for your help
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 10:50 AM
    Glad to help!
    grajkumar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 11:59 PM

Hi,

Am Rajkumar
    Am planning to come to US this year end or next.
    Its on work-study program i.e F-1.

My main concern is to work than study.

Can anyone suggest me in detail.

I will be thankfull.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 3, 2010, 02:47 AM

On F1/OPT you are exempt from residency for 5-years. You must file non-resident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. Your income is not subject to FICA taxes but you must pay federal and state income taxes. On your income you will get deduction based on tax treaty between the U.S. and your country. If from India, as per tax treaty, you will claim standard deduction of $5,700 instead of itemized deduction. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I will be an taking on an independent contractor position with an at-home call center company. This will be a part-time job. I have never been an independent contractor before and want to make sure I don't get myself in trouble or receive a big tax bill. Do I need to let the IRS...

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Fall 2006,I found a great job through a staffing agency. The job is Office Manager with a very small service firm. After 2 weeks the company "bought" me from the agency for several thousand dollars. To meet their budget needs, they offered to bring me to their staff as an independent contractor...

Independent Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

I am about to begin working online as an independent contractor. I understand that I will receive a 1099 MISC form at the end of the year. That's about all I understand. I live in Arkansas, and I was wondering... what percentage of what I make do I need to put up for taxes? And what if I would...

Independent Contractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I took on this part time job since last May and immediately they started paying me via Western Union and also Pay Pal. Never once did they ever discuss they'd be reporting wages, I always believed it was "under the table" money. They never had sign a W-9 or an independent Contractor form,...

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

View more questions Search