Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fearofghosts Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 06:41 AM
    .Stains on teeth.
    So, this is an issue I've made visits with the dental hygienist several times… I've been noticing these darkish green or just plain dark stains on my teeth (on the front surface of some on the top row, some in between (on top and bottom), and a few in the grooves of the middle in my bottom row).

One of my dental hygienists advised that it might be due to smoking pot, the only thing, I don't smoke at all; nor drink coffee, pop, or anything else besides water and an occasional Gatorade when I'm working out (And I'm quite the healthy person too -- with what I eat and staying dedicated to an exercise regimen). My other hygienist (who was removing the stains/cleaning my teeth) had told me that she'd do some research to figure out what's causing these stains to appear…

Well anyway, those stains I saw before were gone… but then a month or so later, they reappeared, and once again, I was back in, having this issue taken cared of, yet again.

Then same old story, they disappeared.

Now within the same time span roughly, I'm noticing those stains again… though they're not “in your face” type of stains – very very faint to say the least… and it only seems like I'm the one who notices them (yeah, then don't look in the mirror, right?). But it bothers me -- and that's what matters the most, right?

Now, I'd honestly not like to go back into the dentist (for the third time)… So I thought I'd give it a chance on here.

Here's what I think… and once I mentioned it to the hygienist the 2nd time I was there… it seemed to be a plausible cause.

My regime for whenever I brush my teeth (bare in mind, it's a bit much, I know).

1. I floss.
    2. Then use my tongue cleaner/scrapper.
    3. Pre-rinse with a 'Crest' whitening pre-rinse.
    4. Brush with 'Crest' whitening toothpaste.
    5. Lastly, I use a 'Crest' mouthwash.

Now I've exclaimed that with doing all this (to my hygienist), that it's opening up the pores in my teeth and causing this to happen… I'm not a dentist, so consequently, I don't know – I just had reasonable doubt that this was the cause of it.

Would I be able to eliminate these stains without having to make another trip to the dentist? What's causing them to appear/reappear? Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated… and I've already started to eliminate the whitening items, in hope that these stains would lessen or go away... with thought that that may be what's causing this to happen.

Thanks for all the help.

~ Fearofghosts
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Are you drinking water or taking anything that is high is iron? I know that people who drink well water that has a higher iron content tend to get black line stain on their teeth.

Have you tried using an elecetric toothbrush like the Ultreo? It's suppose to remove extrinsic stain (the type you have). You could also try brushing with a toothpaste that contains baking soda or once or twice a week brush with a wet toothbrush dipped in baking soda.

Make sure that when your hygienist is cleaning your teeth that she is not using the "prophy jet" (like a sandblaster) to polish your teeth. I find that it pits the enamel and teeth pick up stain faster when it's used. Have her use the rubber cup to polish and you should find after a couple of cleanings using this the stains won't build up as quickly.
    stmatt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 10:44 AM
    You mentioned that your last step is using a Crest mouthwash. Are you using Crest Pro-Health rinse? If so, then I think I found your answer. That product is notorious for causing brown stains on the teeth, among other possible side affects. Go check out the reviews on Amazon.com. Or just do a Google search for "Crest Rinse Stains Teeth". There is a lot of info out there on the internet about this problem with the Crest rinse.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Crest Pro-Health does contain stannous fluoride which has been known to stain teeth, another rinse that stains is chlorahexadine.
    fearofghosts Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 10:45 PM
    I'd like to thank you both for the quick responses... and 'stmatt'... you did it! You've identified the culprit in my little predicament here. I applaud both of you for the help... thank you very very much.

I kind of had this notion that it had something to do with what I was doing to or using on my teeth. And all this time I've been using Crest products (pre-rinse, toothpaste, & mouth wash -- gosh, what are the odds? ). I would've never thought in a million years that it would've had something to do with producing such unsatisfying results. I was so confused as to what had caused these stains.

What would you suggest as alternatives for the toothpaste & mouthwash?. What do you like to use?

Would something with a whitener in it cause any harm?

Would these stains (once I read the amazon.com comments -- a reviewer had mentioned that these stains would eventually) fade... is this true? Or would it be best to schedule yet another appointment with my hygienist? (They must think I'm crazy for coming in so frequently these past couple months).

P.S.: What does the check and the star on my post mean?

Thanks again for the help.

(Welcome to the board stmatt)

~ fearofghosts

Nov 13, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie
    Crest Pro-Health does contain stannous fluoride which has been known to stain teeth, another rinse that stains is chlorahexadine.
    Yes, the Crest Pro-Health toothpaste contains stannous fluoride which has been known to stain teeth. There is a warning on the toothpaste that says that it may stain teeth (the FDA requires all dental products that contain stannous to provide a warning to the consumer regarding potential staining of the teeth).

The Crest Pro-Health rinse does not contain stannous fluoride, but it contains an ingredient called CPC, which has also been known to stain teeth, as well as other undesirable side affects. There is no warning on the bottle that regarding potential staining, although IMO there definitely should be.

Anyway, both of these Crest Pro-Health products (the rinse and the toothpaste) have been seen to cause extensive staining in many patients, and I would NOT use either of them.

Nov 13, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fearofghosts
    I'd like to thank you both for the quick responses... and 'stmatt'... you did it! You've identified the culprit in my little predicament here. I applaud both of you for the help... thank you very very much.

I kind of had this notion that it had something to do with what I was doing to or using on my teeth. And all this time I've been using Crest products (pre-rinse, toothpaste, & mouth wash -- gosh, what are the odds??). I would've never thought in a million years that it would've had something to do with producing such unsatisfying results. I was so confused as to what had caused these stains.

What would you suggest as alternatives for the toothpaste & mouthwash??... What do you like to use??

Would something with a whitener in it cause any harm??

Would these stains (once I read the amazon.com comments -- a reviewer had mentioned that these stains would eventually) fade... is this true?? Or would it be best to schedule yet another appointment with my hygienist?? (They must think I'm crazy for coming in so frequently these past couple months).

P.S.: What does the check and the star on my post mean??

Thanks again for the help.

(Welcome to the board stmatt)

~ fearofghosts
    Ghosts, I'll give you my advice, but I would suggest that you talk to your dentist.

I would not use any toothpaste that contains stannous fluoride, such as the Crest Pro-Health rinse. I use Colgate right now.

As for mouthwash, definitely stay away from the Crest Pro-Health rinse, as there is a serious staining problem associated with that product. IMO, the vast majority of patients do not need to use ANY mouthwash (unless you have been diagnosed with gum disease and are using a product under the direct care and supervision of your dentist). The key to dental health is brushing and flossing. That's what it's all about.

If you do feel like you really need a mouthwash, for whatever reason, I would suggest Listerine.

Good luck

Nov 14, 2007, 06:30 AM
    One clarification in that previous answer: should say "I would not use any toothpaste that contains stannous fluoride, such as the Crest Pro-Health toothpaste."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yellow stains on child's teeth [ 18 Answers ]

My daughter aged 7 has yellow stains on both front teeth. She lost her baby teeth quite young and now has 8 adult teeth. We brush teeth twice a day but this has made no difference. She is an active healthy girl but doesn't eat much in way of vegetables. She does like her fruit though. Any...

Stains [ 3 Answers ]

Is it true that semen stains look crusty in appearannce, while drool stains are just translucent, on like fabrics?

Getting rid of stains on clothes [ 10 Answers ]

Sirs, How to I get a furniture varnish stains out of clothes.

Stains in clothes [ 1 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool top load (american) washing machine 1 year old. The darks have rust stains and I have damaged garments . Have you any advice on what could be the problem? The whites are not soiled .

Deck Stains [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Folks can any one point me in the right direction in choosing a good deck stain... Something that will. LAST... Thanks much...

View more questions Search