Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pnada Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 03:43 AM
    Baseboar water heater system not working in one zone.
    My Baseboard water circulation heater system has 3 Zones.
    The 3rd zone on my third floor is not working. The circulation water pipes near the heating unit become hot when I turn on the thrmostat and then cools down. I have no heat on the 3rd floor, but at time the unit works.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Check for
    Air in line if so bleed 3rd floor area.
    Check for water pressure in boiler if low increase.
    Make sure zone valve or 3rd floor pump is working.
    tsa7man Posts: 154, Reputation: 9

Nov 9, 2007, 05:58 AM
    I would think you have a T-stat on your top floor where you have no heat, and it is connected to a zone valve or control panel that either starts another pump, or opens a zone valve. Go to the boiler and look for the zone valve that goes to your upstairs zone... (they will look like little boxes on your hot water supply pipiing) if it is a current Honeywell type, you will find a small lever to move to the open position, and put the level in the little notch to hold it open... to give you heat to that Zone. ( this is only a tempory fix, being that every time other zones call for heat and the pump starts, this zone will heat all the time... An easy way to find that one, it to turn up the other T-stats and the zone valve that is not open ( look at the manual level, and move it to the open position, if you feel NO resistance on the lever, it is open, and that is NOT the valve) You will have to call a contractor to change them, being that on some you have to either drain down the boiler, and cut out the bad valve and solder in a new one, and on the newer valves, you just change the motor head part. You also can look for loose wires that may have come off the valve, they are powered by 24 volts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heater not working [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a single Mom on a tight budget. My hot water heater stopped heating the water. After pushing the reset button it workedd for about 2 showers. I replaced the thermostat myself and the water was really hot but didn't last much longer. The water heater is 4 years old and doesn't look...

How to hook up 2 hot water heater system? [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up 2 hot water heaters in one house, (natural gas). I know how to hook up one tank, but not 2. please help.:confused:

Thermostat replacement dual zone gas hot water system [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, first question here! I've spent an hour searching, learned a lot, but not a specific answer so I hope this isn't too common a question! One family ranch home with gas furnace, hot water baseboards, 40 year old Honeywell thermostats in main floor hall and basement main room. When...

New two zone heating system not working. [ 1 Answers ]

We are about to close on a new condo and we had a two zone system put in. The problem is when the heat is off upstairs and the temp is set around 70 in the lower level the temp in the upper level reaches 74 or higher and you can feel the heat coming out the vents. The contractor says this is...

Two zone system? [ 3 Answers ]

I am intending on replacing my 50+ years old gravity furnace. This may appear straightforward, however I have an in-law apartment in the basement that I rent which needs upgrading. Currently I have a gas wall heater there, but according to current San Francisco codes, I cannot just replace it with...

View more questions Search