Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlhiggi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2005, 04:29 PM
    'C' connection for remote control thermostat
    I have purchased a RiteTemp 8082C Programmable Thermostat with remote control to replace my old mercury swtich type thermostat. While preparing to install the new one, I noticed in the instructions that all of the connections map correctly to my existing setup except one. The instructions say that a 'C' connection is required for the remote control to work. I don't have that connection on the existing thermostat and I don't see one on the transformer at the unit (Trane XE60 - Gas furnace with AC coil). The transformer has RGWY connected to matching points on the existing thermostat. There is a 'B' connection on the transformer that does not connect to the thermostat. Apparently the 'C' connection is supposed to be a 24V common side tap on the transformer. The only 24V tap on the transformer I have seems to be R. Do I need to replace the existing transformer to obtain the 'C' tap, use a 2nd transformer, or I am just out of luck?

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 07:27 PM
    B = C. The old thermostats only switch one terminal of the transformer to heat, cool, or fan. To complete the circuit, a wire, usually blue, B, runs to the other side of each coil from the other terminal of the transformer. If the cable that runs to the thermostat includes a blue wire, connect it to the B terminal at the furnace, and the C terminal on the thermostat.
    rlhiggi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2005, 07:40 PM
    'C' connection for remote control thermostat
    Labman,

Thank you very much for the quick response. I'll give that a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-speed fan control switch wire connection [ 23 Answers ]

Inside housing case are two boxes. One box has #1,2,3,and letter L. The other box has 1 red wire glued in silicone. There are two cords running into housing case. A gray cord coming from fan's motor with 5 wires: White,yellow,blue,gray,green w/white stripe. A black cord (two prong plug) with...

Hampton Bay Remote Video/fan Remote Control [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Video & Fan Remote Control (Model #UR8050T). It has been working fine for about 2 years until it recently began malfunctioning. It still operates the television, but the use of the fan/light features has stopped working. It will not turn the fan on or off, and the light is...

Remote control [ 11 Answers ]

I Have A Hampton Bays Ceiling Fan - The Remote Control Does Not Work The Fan. Can I Buy A New Remote Control And Get The Light And Fan Working Again? If I Can, How Do I Go About Ordering One. Thanks For Your Reply.

How Can I connect my PC? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I connect PC with following sceniro. I have 3 pcs with Win XP pro.1 PC is connected with ADSL internet connection (256kbps)Its a small USB modem. I have router with 6ports from which I have connected my other 2pc as shared ADSL speed internet.This all setup in Office. Now I want to...

Remote Desktop Connection Error [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, I tried every direction. I have a client PC using win2k, trying to access a win2k server using remote deskop. Only this client is having trouble, so it's not the server. The client is using Remote Desktop Connection to connect this server, receives "unknown network error", while...

View more questions Search