Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnjohn1971 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2005, 03:30 PM
    Love v. Like Advice Needed
    I need some advice. I have been dating this guy, and find that I am more easily in love, than I am in "like" with him. I shared my feelings last night, and the response was not good.

I sent this to him so that he could better understand what I meant when I said I didn't like him:

The word love means feeling your heart beat faster for someone, and the word like means feeling your heart smile. My heart races when I am with you, but often forgets to smile. How can a heart not smile when it is beating for someone? For the frown on my heart is not born out of dislike, but rather from not being able to share my racing heart with the person it accelerates for.

He did not like that I don't "like" him. In all honesty, I enjoy the time when I am with him, but he is not a likeable person. He is not available, doesn't communicate well, and generally does not pay attention to me or my needs.

I know what I have to do, in fact he broke up with me last night. My question is this... everything I see is about growing from like to love. But what about the possibility of learning to like someone, after your heart began beating for them?

Has anyone else out there fallen in love with someone you didn't like?
    letmeno Posts: 215, Reputation: 23

Nov 18, 2005, 05:07 PM
    I don't believe that I have ever fallen in love with someone that I personally did not like. Could it be that you have fallen in love with the idea of being in love or have you fallen in love with the time that you two share together, or fallen in love with the idea that someone may have fallen in love with you? Maybe the infatuation is more about what is going on and not about him personally...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2005, 05:17 AM
    Love
    Hi,
    I agree with the other answer about liking someone before you really begin to love them. "Liking" someone means you like what they say, how they feel, how they act, and want them as a friend. "Love" is much, much deeper, and usually takes some time after "liking" someone.
    I, too, think you are infatuated with the idea of being in love, but don't you think it's really hard to "love" someone who treats you as thought you aren't even there?
    When you find someone who respects you, cares about you to the point they are interested in what you say, how you feel, what they can do to help you with anything, and likes to actually listen to what you say, and if you feel the same way about him, then you will find out what "love" really is!
    It also involves being honest, being yourself, and not afraid of saying what is on your mind; with respect for both.
    I do sincerely wish you happiness, and eventually, you will find this kind of person.
    Tony2005 Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 24, 2005, 09:42 AM
    I believe it is possible to love somebody whom you dislike or do not like. It happens quite often but we tend to acknowledge the feeling of not liking the person instead of loving that person. In your case, you are loving him for a reason you aren't clear but you are surely know that you have certain reasons for not liking him. Does this suggest you something ? Of course it does. It means your love is more of an infactuation or a crush. It isn't love at all. Its just a enthusiastic attraction towards him.
    I think you need not worry about him. Its just an infactuation with him if not liking. We often get to know film stories where the lovers were initially hating each other until they fall in love. But, in your case, I doubt you will fall in love after knowing the reason why you do not like him.
    Anyway, I guess you should move on and be certain that you will get attracted to somebody soon if not fall in love.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 24, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Love/like
    Maybe you need to honestly examine you feelings for this guy and why you don't like him.It probably has nothing to do with him I suspect, but you should not lead him on if you yourself don't know exactly how you feel.Look at it from his veiw and see how you would feel if someone who says " I love you" turns around and says I don't like you ,would you think he's some sort of nut playing with your feelings?Try to sort out your feelings before you do anything else :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

More advice needed :S [ 4 Answers ]

Hi again. I hate to nag on about this but if anyone has more advice it would be great. I am still finding either some brown discharge or sometimes a bit of blood everyday from about 3 weeks ago whenever I go to the toilet, although not a lot. But the thing is its really bugging me now because its...

Social etiquette advice needed please [ 14 Answers ]

Hi all. This is very much a grey area and I really don't know the correct etiquette for this situation. Last night was my husbands work Christmas party. It was an informal BBQ at his boss's home. It was pre-arranged last week that the wives would each bring 2 salads and 1 dessert. The boss...

Complicated Tax Situation(Advice Needed) [ 5 Answers ]

To tax experts I have a complicated tax situation, I am working on OPT for a company since may 2005, I got married in September and my wife came to america on dependent F-2 visa, She got her L-1 approved recently and she has started working for a company since dec 15th. I am really...

Advice needed with taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Right this is a fairly complicated matter but here goes. Firstly I am a British/Australian citizen (I have lived in Australia for the last 10 years). I am currently in nyc on a B1 visa until the end of July, I will be coming back sometime in August on a E1 visa and staying for a longer period....

Advice needed about registry cleaning [ 4 Answers ]

Dear experts, I recently used my HP Pavilion recover disk that came with my computer. It is 5 years old. I thought this was doing a reformat but evidently not. It restored my computer to the way it was the day I got it. What I need to know is should I use a registry cleaner such as jv16 or...

View more questions Search