Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkpayne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2005, 09:30 AM
    Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine
    I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have verified that the trap, etc is completely clear.

My first guess was that there was a partial blockage somewhere down the line, but neither the toilet nor the tub in the same bathroom has any problem at all - and all other drains throughout the house experience no problem. Could this be a venting problem?

The bathroom is on the first floor and I can get into the crawlspace below. I have verified that the sink, tub, etc all ultimately connect to the same main line.

We are on city sewer and the pipes in this part of the house are galvanized - so I am certain that there is at least some corrosion in the pipes.

Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 18, 2005, 11:37 AM
    I don't see that you have much choice but to snake out the lavatory roof vent and drain line. Had you said the lav backed up right away I would have suspected a clog in the trap or the arm but your description puts it down the road in the drain line. Drop your snake down to the bend at the base and put out about 15 or 20 feet more. Afterwards flush out the line with hot water. Good luck. Tom
    bkpayne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2005, 08:00 PM
    Thanks... used a power auger and it seemed to solve the problem
    Thanks for the reply. The auger seemed to solve the problem - I assume that the corrosion inside the galvanized pipe had just caught hair, etc somewhere down the pipe and slowed it down considerably.
    otis7895 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 06:27 PM
    I have the same problem also. I just put in a new vanity and changed the trap and ran a small electrician's snake down the 1 1/4 copper line behind the wall and my new sink starts to back up after a minute of the water running. I made a trap from pvc any chance the trap is too deep?? 2
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Hello Otis.

Otis this post is over two years old. Re-post your question as a new thread... that will put your question at the TOP of the list... not WAY back here in 2005... ;)

Oh! The electrician's snake is not the way to go here... re-post question so all the pros at askmehelpdesk.com can give an opinion... I am sure we can help you to resolve... give as much information as possible... talk soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in new bathroom sink drain [ 12 Answers ]

I spent the morning removing my old sink drain and replacing it with a new one. After attaching everything I noted a persistent leak in the pipe at the middle of the new drain. I checked all of the connections, and it does not seem to be coming from these areas. It appears that the leak is...

Upstairs bathroom sink slow drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, again I am at my end with this sink... but still can't afford a plumber! It is the only drain in the house that has this problem. I just tried using my hose and a small nozzel to put high pressure water through the drain in an attempt to unclog it... well here is the funny thing......

Slow sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I have been having problems with my kitchen sink draining extremely slow. If I put any chemicals down the drain, there is no effect. I checked the trap and it is clean. If I clear it with a plunger it works great, completely drains and runs great for about 30 seconds and then backs up...

Kitchen sink slow to drain (sometimes) [ 2 Answers ]

So I just finished a total gut and redo in the kitchen. Everything is working perfectly (drains nice and clean, etc.) and I was happy of a job done right. My wife comes to tell me the sink is backed up and draining VERY slowly. I turn on the disposal and WHAM! The sink is empty again. I can...

Toilet slow to drain and gurgles [ 3 Answers ]

Older house. When I flush the toilet sometimes it works fine. But most of the time the water does not drain. Here is what I have done so far. I rented a commercial drain cleaner machine and took off the toilet and snaked it to the clean-out plug in the basement where the line then goes to the...

View more questions Search