Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roger Dodger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Dual switchable thermostats for heat pump control at night.
    I would like to have my heat pump controlled by the centrally located main thermostat during the day, but switch to a different thermostat located in my bedroom during the night. Is this possible and how would I go about wiring it? I was hoping it may be a readily available kit?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Another way to approach the problem is to use a T-stat with a remote sensor. Some stat's average the sensor temperatures. This one does not.

What you could do is mount two aux sensors with a toggle switch and LED. I think with a little logic and maybe a small relay, you can make the switch in either room similar to a 3-way light switch so that the bedroom switch and other switch can switch the locations. The LED on each sensor would indicate which sensor is used. The one in the BR can be very small.

For fun you can make a 7-day timer do the switching such that the programming occurs automatically. You would just need to keep the clocks in sync. The LED's would tell you which sensor was being used.

You could even mount 1 LED abouve the tstat and dispense with the other nonsense. Your timer could be at the furnace.

Swiching all the wires is not a simple solution because of the compressor protection built into the stat.

I think some communicating stats might allow control from two different locations, but it would not switch sensors automagicly.

So, I do think a 7-day timer with 2 remote sensors and one or two LED indicators.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Another way this might be accomplished is to install two programmable thermostats and wire them in parallel (both wire the same, to the same equipment) set the main thermostat to be unoccupied at night and the bed room thermostat to be unoccupied during the day and switch from occupied to unoccupied at the same time, when one goes to occupied the other goes to unoccupied. Good luck, Mike
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:49 PM
    There is a simple way to do it if you don't have or want to go with programmable thermostats. Just run a cable like the one to the existing thermostat from it to the new thermostat. Connect all the wires except the red together at the first thermostat and to the proper terminals at the new. Connect the red to the common of a SPDT switch. Connect the red of the new cable to one of the other terminals. Connect the third terminal to R or RH and RC of the original thermostat. Depending on the position of the switch, only one thermostat will have power at a time.
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Labman: You might get poor backup battery life with your method with the new-fangled stats.
    So, selection of the stats matter.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Add a zone control system. You have two thermostats, one for each level. Dampers will open or close for the area that is needing heat or cooling.
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Well, that's another way of looking at the problem. I was looking at his problem as an energy saver. At night all he cares about is the temperature in his room and nowhere else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adjusting Dual Thermostats-One AC Unit [ 3 Answers ]

I have one heat pump unit, and two thermostats (one upstairs, one down). I live in Texas and the Summer months seem to keep my unit running non-stop when I have both upper and lower set at 77 degrees, one month last year my electric bill was over $500. Is there a general rule (ie. few degrees...

Heat pump control [ 1 Answers ]

I have Lennox heat pump about 10 year old. The control center is called Harmony II. There is a red light which has been on/off for a few years now. The mannuel says it indicates need of service. The service contractor tried very hard and could not fix it or find out why (I do not have...

How to wire two thermostats to run one circulating pump [ 3 Answers ]

How do you wire two 24v thermostats in two different zones that will run one 110v circulating pump? Thanks

Changing heat pump thermostats [ 1 Answers ]

I have a American standard thermostat (ASYSTAT655A)& I have been wanting to update to a digital thermostat. I bought a Honeywell RTH3100C thermostat and have most of the thermostat wires hocked up with the help of a friend.My only problem is My Air conditioner will come on and just stay on even on...

Thermostats for baseboard heat [ 4 Answers ]

We built our house 30 years ago using electric baseboard heat. This is 240 volt electric heat. We would like to change the original thermostats (Mears M7) to progammable digital themostats. Those that we have looked at indicate two models; single pole and double pole. How would I determine which...

View more questions Search