Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfmang34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Torque and force on an object
    A 5ft by 5ft square is nailed in the bottom left corner. 3 100 pound forces are applied to the other 3 corners
    the force applied to the upper right corner is at a 40 degree angle

What equations would be used to answer the questions below? I keep finding equations but Im not sure what all the signs and letters mean and how they apply.

What is the torque on the nail?( ft pounds)
    net horizontal force on the nail?(in pounds)
    net vertical force on the nail? (in pounds)
    magnitude of resultant force on nail?( in pounds)
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 01:01 PM
    If you start working this out yourself and let us know where you are getting stuck someone will help you along to the next step but this site will not do your homework for you, it's in the terms of use.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 02:56 PM
    To help get you started, draw a diagram of this problem, and determine the components of each force in the x and y directions. Once you do that you can sum all 3 x-direction forces to get your answer to question 2, and then sum all the y-direction forces for question 3. The torque that each force applies to the nail is the force in the x direction times its vertical distance from the nail plus the force in the y direction times its horizontal distance from the nail - but be sure to get the signs right (clockwise torques are positive and counter-clockwise torques are negative). Add all the torques up to get your answer to question 1. To answer #4, use Pythagorean theorem on the X-direction and Y-direction forces that you found in answering questions 2 and 3 to figure out the resultant magnitude of total force.
    terryg752 Posts: 197, Reputation: 4

Nov 9, 2007, 12:19 PM
    If you could give us a diagram it may help.

Or perhaps you can re-read the question and perhaps find more details.
    enigmagnetic Posts: 333, Reputation: 45

Nov 17, 2007, 09:46 PM
    That is a statics question.

First convert each force into a cartesian vector. Then resolve them into their components. If everything is in equilibrium you can use:

use "Sigma" Fx=0
    Sigma Fy=0
    Sigma Fz=0

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

Comparison of torque and power [ 1 Answers ]

How torque and power of cars can be correctly compared, as it is normally specified in different rpm's.

Torque and light [ 1 Answers ]

How is light used in television? Like how do we see it? And what is torque?

The object doesn't contain the Automation object '|.' [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, And thank you for taking this question. I currently support a small Access system and ran into the error mentioned in the title. I believe that the issue is system-specific because I ran the system from my desktop and printed fine. The issue centers around the cmdPrint command function. ...

View more questions Search