Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zaefod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2005, 04:57 PM
    Blower not working with Heat- OK with AC
    I have a recent HVAC system and not too long ago I had to remove the blower and lube the bushings because it had frozen. This was with the AC
    Now, that's its cold and we turned the heat on the blower either comes on for a bit and then quits or doesn't come on at all. I can turn the AC on and the blower works fine. Also the sq. cage moves freely. Any thoughts would be great.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2005, 05:21 PM
    Heat and A/C usually use a different winding in the motor controlled by different relays. For heat, the blower is also controlled by a limit switch. The blower doesn't come on until the limit switch warms up and closes. So the problem could be the motor itself, the relay, or the limit switch, or some of their wiring. Most often it is the relay, and on most newer systems it is on a circuit board, hard to diagnose and replace except by a very expensive new board. While you are working on the problem, you may be able to get some heat using the fan on switch at the thermostat.
    chip56 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
    Please check to see if your thermostat has batteries. Often times the batteries will be just strong enough to send a signal to the ac controls , but not strong enough for heat. I just experienced this again today. More often a battery problem will kill all controls, but not always.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Blower on top of heat pump not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Coleman heat pump that is less than 2 years old and has worked well up until a couple of days ago. Now, the air conditioning and the heat will not work, but the fan and furnace still works. After checking things out myself for small problems with the electrical box, etc, I noticed that...

Blower fan works in A/C but not heat [ 8 Answers ]

A couple of weeks ago my Lennox G20Q3E-75-1 was acting up. Gas valve was cycling when calling for heat and then once satisfied and the main burners went out the pilot light was staying lit. I thought it might be the flame sensor as far as the gas valve cycling and didn't want to tear into it so I...

Run blower without heat? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a weather king propane furnace. I do not know the age. I have a simple dial thermostat. I would like to figure out how to run the blower without the heat. The wires from the thermo going into furnace have the three wires but the green is not connected to anything. The red is connected...

2 heat sources... one blower? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm hooking up an outdoor woodburner as my main heat source (hot water w/radiator in existing ductwork) and using my existing forced air oil furnace as a backup. 2 thermostats. How do I wire up the blower motor so that both thermostats don't "kick" on at once and give the motor 220V? Is there a...

View more questions Search