Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eljay1103 Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Nov 7, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Turkey recipes
    Hey guys I want to make a turkey this year but I don't know what kind of recipe to go with.. I'd love to hear all of your ideas... And I would love to know how to make a more moist turkey... I don't really like turkey b.c its soooo DRY..
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Get those roasting bags from the grocery store. Make sure you get one big enough for your bird. Stick a couple of tart apples and a couple of pear (whole) into your bird, put the bird upside down in the bag in your roaster and cook the length of time recommended on the instructions. The apple and pear juices will soak into the breast along with the other juices.

It doesn't come out all golden and perfect, so it won't make a presentation type of dish, but if you are looking for tasty turkey. It's a sure bet. I let mine sit for half an hour before carving to prevent dryness as well.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Emalnd do you think that would be OK with just a turkey breast ? Or have you tried it with a chicken?
    Eljay my friends mom used to rub her turkeys down with mayo and bake them in a foil tent.
    I will say that I think emlands would be better though.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:22 PM
    You could also consider brining that turkey before putting it in the oven. My sister-in-law has done that and it produces a moist turkey. She has also done the deep fryer turkey and that was great too. I love going there for Thanksgiving! Lol.

Some information on brining - http://www.oznet.k-state.edu/extrapi...s/november.pdf

Also Relish Magazine has a recipe for Herb Brined Turkey on their website - Relish Celebrating America's Love of Food - Recipes, Wine and More - Relish

I have also done as Em suggested with the oven bag and then in the last half hour to 45 min, opened the bag for the browning.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:25 PM
    I dug this out of my mother-in-law's tip book -

Get some cotton cheesecloth. It's very important that the cheesecloth isn't made from a synthetic fiber. After seasoning and optionally stuffing the turkey, spread the cheesecloth 2 layers thick over the breast. Make up a basting solution from a melted stick of butter and some dry white wine. Drench the cheesecloth with the butter/wine mixture. Sear the turkey at 400° for the first half hour of cooking, then ramp the oven down to 350° for the remainder of the required cooking time. Redrench the cheesecloth with the wine/butter mixture every half hour. This will keep the temperature of the breast meat lower than the dark meat. This is the real secret of this method. The breast meat will be fully cooked when it reaches 140°. The dark meat requires 170°. If you run out of the butter/wine mixture, just switch to basting with turkey broth.

Once the thigh tests at 160°, remove the cheesecloth, and cook for 30 minutes more. Remove the turkey from the oven, cover with foil, and let the turkey rest for at least 30 minutes. If you slice the turkey fresh out of the oven, no amount of preparation will prevent the juice from running out.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Smoked turkey For the juiciest, best tasting turkey ever.

Smoked turkey out of the oven or off the grill

In a clean, plastic 5 gallon bucket Combine and mix:
    1 cup of Tender Quick
    1 cup of Table Salt
    10 1/2 TBLS of liquid smoke
    2 gallons of water

Submerge cleaned turkey in solution and cover bucket
    For 24 hours. Remove turkey and pat dry. Place bird in
    Roasting pan in the oven at 350 degrees or put on a hot
    Grill that can be covered, I use a Weber, until bird is
    Done. (When a leg will almost pull off with little effort,
    The bird is done). ENJOY!
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Emalnd do you think that would be ok with just a turkey breast ? or have you tried it with a chicken?
    Eljay my friends mom used to rub her turkeys down with mayo and bake them in a foil tent.
    I will say that I think emlands would be better though.
    I'm sure it would work with a chicken. Don't know about the breast only, but you could try it.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 09:37 PM
    They have injections for chicken and turkey that make it tastier. You have to watch the ingredients though cause some are really salty with ingredients like anchovies. Also some contain message. Msg mixed with the natural tryophans in turkey will make you REALLY tired.

I have found (from a few people) the best way to make a moist turkey is to bake it covered upside down until the last half hour and then turn it right side up and finish baking with no cover to get the skin crispy. I like seasoning the skin with cajun seasoning or season all.

I would also try all the things everybody else has said as well.
    eljay1103 Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Nov 8, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Hey how about any good side dishes idea? How to make the perfect mashed potatoes...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 10:36 AM
    I like to do fattening here goes

Boil water with a little bit of salt (I use sea salt & don't need as much)
    I think the salt while cooking makes them taste better than if you add it after.

Boil 10 to 12 potatoes
    I like boiling my potatoes (red are best) with the skin on -They have a bit more flavor.

Warm a bit of milk (I like using half and half) with a stick of butter

Drain potatoes (peel, you can leave some or all skin on)
    Mash adding the warmed milk and butter

Add more of the milk until they are to the desired consistency

You can add sour cream, chives, garlic, etc...
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 12:28 PM
    The following is a recipe I found online and put in our company newsletter for November. Looks interesting, but I can't vouch for the taste or moistness.

Jose's Grilled Turkey
    This one will stay extra moist because it's partially cooked before putting on the grill.
    Ingredients:
    1 turkey, thawed
    2 apples
    4 plums
    1/4 tsp sage
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
    2 oz tequila
    One piece of cheesecloth large enough to hold fruit mixture
    Method
    Boil turkey in a large pot of water for approximately 2 hours (you may add sage and garlic for additional flavor). While turkey is boiling mash the apples, plums, spices and tequila and let set for one hour at room temperature. Wrap fruit mixture in cheesecloth and tie the opening tightly. After turkey has boiled for two hours, remove from pan and stuff the spice bag into the turkey cavity. Wrap turkey in aluminum foil and place on the grill for about one hour or until done (varies based on size of turkey). The spices bake all through the turkey and it remains very moist.
    Notes: This is a wonderful Thanksgiving day meal, it may sound complicated but, it's actually a very easy way to fix a turkey.
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 12:57 PM
    I take regular white potatoes and cook, then drain. After they drain I stick them in the oven or back on the stove be sure to watch carefuly and let the moisure dry off them. Then I add salt, pepper, butter mix and then add milk, or cream.
    Nohelp4u I do love red potatoes, we dice them with onions put butter and pepper on top inside a foil packet and grill. Yum
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

Nov 13, 2007, 05:51 PM
    I like to boil off white potatoes, drain them, then add Hidden Valley Ranch dry dip mix to a container of sour cream, a little butter and mix that into the potatoes... no milk. Awesome flavor!
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Get those roasting bags from the grocery store. Make sure you get one big enough for your bird. Stick a couple of tart apples and a couple of pear (whole) into your bird, put the bird upside down in the bag in your roaster and cook the length of time recommended on the instructions. The apple and pear juices will soak into the breast along with the other juices.

It doesn't come out all golden and perfect, so it won't make a presentation type of dish, but if you are looking for tasty turkey. It's a sure bet. I let mine sit for half an hour before carving to prevent dryness as well.
    I tried this.. turkey breast... did not use cooking bag but foil tent I can't taste the fruit... but it is so tender maybe I should have added some apple juice or pear juice...
    Dong812 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2011, 03:38 AM
    Here is the best Turkey recipe you can find. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which is healthier turkey ham or pork ham or turkey sausage versus pork sausage [ 4 Answers ]

The reason why I am asking because I just read an article that said pork bacon was better for you than turkey bacon because of all the unnatural products they put in turkey bacon.

Texas law for great aunt getting custody of great niece and nephew from c.p.s.and mom [ 2 Answers ]

I had kinship of my great niece and nephew, now they are in foster care. I think they belong with a family member who knows them and they know. I just don't know how to go about getting them back in our life. Please help! I don't know how to get this started. Their mom don't seem to be even trying...

Great face? Or great body [ 15 Answers ]

Which do you prefer... a woman who is pretty in the face... doesn't have a horrible body but is about 10 pounds too heavy.. ok 15. OR a bod that won't quit and a face that is average at best( and I am being KIND.) I am asking for a friend... ;) The personality is dazzling for both women. ( OK I...

Great R&B Song, Great Lyrics - Who's the Artist and what's the Title? Thanks [ 1 Answers ]

Singers: Male and Female duet. Female:- The sunlight smiles faithful every day for you. No one comes close to the joy you bring to me; whisper's like the summer's breeze. To put my mind at ease. When I look into your eye's I invision you and me on LOVE'S JOURNEY. So I wrote this melody because...

Recipe Trade: Here's my MarsBar Cheesecake Recipe (A real winner!) [ 1 Answers ]

From My Family Kitchen to Yours.. Want to trade a tried and tested family favorite? Here's one from my kitchen.. MarsBar Cheesecake, perfect for a Special Birthday - Sure to put a smile on that Birthday Persons dile:) This recipe is for a LARGE Cake - if you are catering for a smaller...

View more questions Search