Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    supermommy25 Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Nov 7, 2007, 03:10 PM
    I want to get into the Health care field/ Sonography is it a good choice?
    I am going to start school in January at a Community College and I want to major in Pre Diagnostic medical Sonography do you think this would be a good career path? And do you think that Sonographers are always guaranteed jobs? If not what would be a better field to study in Health care while I still have time to change my major... I want a career that is guaranteed and pays very well
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 7, 2007, 05:26 PM
    You can enter sonography and other health care fields at O*NET and it will tell you about the prospects for employment, education needed, wages, what the job is about, and other very useful information:

Find Occupations

Vasily
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 4, 2008, 02:24 PM
    It largely depends on your area, but around here it would be easy to get a job in sonography. I'm not sure what you consider a good salary, but in my area it averages $12 - $15/hr to be an Ultrasound tech.

Jan 5, 2008, 03:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LearningAsIGo
    It largely depends on your area, but around here it would be easy to get a job in sonography. I'm not sure what you consider a good salary, but in my area it averages $12 - $15/hr to be an Ultrasound tech.

Really $12-$15 that is not much, is that the salary even with a degree? Because if that is the case I should probably re think my career path and look into another field because $12 -$15 is a salary for some one with out children maybe... because I have two babies and that will not cut it at all... so thanks
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jan 6, 2008, 11:12 AM
    According to this site, ultrasound technologists and technicians earn from about 55K to about 64K USD. I would assume given the nature of the site that this is with a degree and certification. Maybe the 12 to 15 per hour is for an assistant position of some kind that doesn't require training?

By the way, rereading your original post, no one is guaranteed a job. The smart careerist today thinks flexibility and transferable skills; we have to market ourselves, and see continuing education as a lifelong pursuit to thrive in today's job market. Chances are technology will always be important in medical fields, and the skills you would learn as an ultrasound tech would be transferable to another field... with additional training, of course.

When I got my MS in computer science in 1985, I thought my career was set for life. Fifteen years later, the bottom dropped out of the software job market when the dot com bubble burst and software engineers who were making in the six figures found themselves doing data entry at eight dollars an hour.

Jan 6, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vingogly
    According to this site, ultrasound technologists and technicians earn from about 55K to about 64K USD. I would assume given the nature of the site that this is with a degree and certification. Maybe the 12 to 15 per hour is for an assistant position of some kind that doesn't require training?

By the way, rereading your original post, no one is guaranteed a job. The smart careerist today thinks flexibility and transferable skills; we have to market ourselves, and see continuing education as a lifelong pursuit to thrive in today's job market. Chances are technology will always be important in medical fields, and the skills you would learn as an ultrasound tech would be transferable to another field ... with additional training, of course.

When I got my MS in computer science in 1985, I thought my career was set for life. Fifteen years later, the bottom dropped out of the software job market when the dot com bubble burst and software engineers who were making in the six figures found themselves doing data entry at eight dollars an hour.

Thanks again for the great advice... and encouragement

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Health care [ 1 Answers ]

What is the side effect of taking glutathione while taking hypertension maintenance medication

Health care [ 1 Answers ]

Turning the hair grey is one of the gluthathione's side effects?

Is Silence A Good Choice? [ 48 Answers ]

Entire story merged I and my boyfriend(maybe ex now) have had a long distance relationship for almost 3 years. At 1st everything was great, we chatted and emailled and everything everyday, for 3 yrs, but I always feel unfulfill, jealous, angry, sometimes for no reasons at all. WE always want to...

Forget Hillary care, what about School-Based "Health Care?" [ 37 Answers ]

Middle school in Maine to offer birth control pills, patches to pupils When I was in school about the only good school "health care" was for was a bandaid, an excuse to skip a class or a pan to puke in. What on earth (or in the constitution) gives public schools the right to prescribe drugs...

Health care [ 4 Answers ]

Elements of communication Barriers of communication

View more questions Search