Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2005, 11:46 AM
    Outlook Express: Big Address Book but nothing in Contacts
    Got a new laptop and imported my address book (wab) into OE... the same way I've done it dozens of times over the years...

But on this 'puter the Contacts pane is empty.

When I go to the address book (from within OE) all my contacts are there, and when I go to send an email and start typing an email address, the auto complete recognizes it and completes it.

So basically I see that OE is recognizing the address book, but the Contacts window doesn't recognize it.

... can't find anything helpful at microsoft.com or annoyances.org.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2005, 11:57 AM
    Have you tried turning off the Contacts pane and turning it back on?
    View > Layout, uncheck Contacts, click OK. Shut down OE then reopen it and add the Contacts pane back in.

It does seem like OE "sees" your contacts database but doesn't display it. Odd.

Let me know how that works out.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2005, 01:37 PM
    Yes, strange indeed.

I've tried every logical order of
    Show Contacts
    Restart OE
    Deselect Contacts
    Reboot

... even imported same add book into OE on another computer and no problems.

Odder, I think, too that I've scoured with Google and can't even find a single soul describing this problem.

I suppose I could try uninstalling and reinstalling OE... but heck, probably not: it's more of an annoyance than a real problem...
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 01:10 PM
    I think I've discovered the issue on this one.

Just got a new computer - and as I type I'm importing my HUMONGOUS address book from my saved .wab file.

For the first few minutes of the import, I saw the contacts (in the contacts pane) growing and growing... and all of the sudden it went empty (while the contacts are still importing) and now it reads "There are no contacts to display. Click on Contacts to create a new Contact"

I've searched the web and not found this to be true for sure, but I'm convinced that it's just that OE will do that if there more than X contacts in the address book.
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 01:16 PM
    PS- Import is done. 2017 items. The Contacts pane is still blank. I'm SURE now that it's due to a maximum number that OE will display in that pane...
    euro3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    I think I've discovered the issue on this one.

Just got a new computer - and as I type I'm importing my HUMONGOUS address book from my saved .wab file.

For the first few minutes of the import, I saw the contacts (in the contacts pane) growing and growing...and all of the sudden it went empty (while the contacts are still importing) and now it reads "There are no contacts to display. Click on Contacts to create a new Contact"

I've searched the web and not found this to be true for sure, but I'm convinced that it's just that OE will do that if there more than X contacts in the address book.
    I had the same issues and I think you are correct about the max limit I have over 1.8k contact myself and when I was importing my address book I saw the names as well then they disappeard.
    Kevin
    vabikool Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 04:02 AM
    Hi rickj & euro3 I am also facing same problem but I have observed one thing and that is if your address book is having 999 contacts it show you in the pane and you add just a single contact also it dissapers, if you find the solution for the same please let me know

Thanks in advance

Vabi
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 04:07 AM
    I'll buy that. When I was importing my address book, the contacts pane was showing until right around 1000 or so, then it disappeared.

Next time Bill G. and I are out having a beer, I'll ask him about fixing this :)
    nweinfeld Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 12:29 PM
    [F]I just had this same problem and not for the first time. The last was, however, long ago enough that I'd forgotten the solution, viz. there are too many contacts in your address book. (It would be nice if OE were to so inform, of course... ). Deleting one or more should make the contacts magically reappear. While they are hidden, this process must of necessity be done via the Address Book.
    Thankyousomuch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2010, 12:26 PM
    OMG!! Thank you so much! This really helped! It is indeed a max number of contacts... I deleted ONE from my address book, and hey presto, as if by magic, the whole contacts list was once again displayed... Thank you so much! Thought I was gong mad! BTW this is Sept 2010, on Windows XP.. Outlook Epxpress numbers as follows.. 6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp080413-2105)... hhhhmmmm...
    bobr33543 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 08:00 AM
    I just started having the problem. I have two identities and the problem is only on the one that has a lot of entries. Found an easy solution. Just delete all the address book entries that you no longer need. Once you get below the maximum which seems to be 999 your contacts will re-appear in the left pane. Delete enough to allow for future additions.
    askjohni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2015, 08:56 AM
    Thanks for this advice. My address book also mysteriously would not display in Outlook Express. I reduced my address book below 1000 entries and everything shows up perfectly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express address book corrupted, How to rebuild? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My OE Address Book is corrupted, I have made an "export" to have a backup. How can I recreate this Address book before "importing" my backup? Thanks is advance

Outlook Express 6 Addy Book Problems [ 10 Answers ]

Somehow my address book has been locked by another program and I can't figure out what program that is. It is wreaking havoc on my OE because it won't let me respond to newsgroups, send email, or even open the address book. When I try to open the address book in OE an error message pops up...

Exporting Outlook Express contacts [ 2 Answers ]

I just upgraded to a new computer at work. Old comp running Windows 98, new comp with Windows XP MCE. I am trying to export my contacts from Outlook Express from old comp to new, but the contacts are not saved as a .wab file. The prior user had them saved to "Microsoft Outlook Contact Store". There...

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Headings Not Visible in Outlook Address Book [ 3 Answers ]

I have been gradually switching over my names & business contacts to Outlook Express. The list is expanded to include a lot more info like Bus Name address phone fax etc. When I am finished I cannot view the business name etc. All I see are Surname, First Name email and phone numbers. ...

View more questions Search