Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pyatti Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Sexual abuse survivor, police cover up to protect their own?
    :confused: On May 7, 1977 (my 13th birthday), in Indiana, I reported five years of sexual abuse by my police officer father. He was picked up by a rookie deputy (now the chief) who has admitted to me that he received a full confession from my father. On that day, I remember sitting in a room full of about 5 or six police officers giving my statement while being tape recorded. I know for sure that the chief of police was present and have been told that a district attorney was present. My dad spent a week or two in a mental hospital on suicide watch (he confessed there too). Meanwhile, he talked my mother into forgiving him and she took him back. The priest told her that his illness was no different than if he had cancer. The police department agreed to drop the charges if he resigned quietly and left town, knowing what would happen to a cop/child molester in prison. CSD told them he could not live in the same home as me, so they sent me away to live with an aunt, then took me back and moved out of state.
    I was 13 and had nowhere left to turn so when the abuse didn't stop 100% I knew I was alone. I knew that turning to my mother, the police and the church would do no good. They all knew he did this and did nothing. I have always felt that the police department should be held accountable for my abuse, seeing that I had a mother that wouldn't protect me, and having a confession. This is America, the police department does not do the judging, the court system does. I feel they avoided the proper channels to avoid a scandal. Do I have any rights now? Or has too much time passed? I was not strong enough to handle another rejection, or I would have pursued this sooner.
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Nov 7, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Sorry to hear your story it is sad one. What state did you live in at that time? Once you reach the age of 18 that is when the statute of Limitations started this varies for state to state. T

I would contact lawyer you could have a civil suit against the police department. But all of the evidence is in that police station and if they covered it up that destroyed it that same day the decided to let your father get away.

Nov 7, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marriedguy
    Sorry to hear your story it is sad one. What state did you live in at that time? Once you reach the age of 18 that is when the statute of Limitations started this varies for state to state. T

I would contact lawyer you could have a civil suit against the police department. But all of the evidence is in that police station and if they covered it up that destroyed it that same day the decided to let your father get away.
    It was in Indiana. The current chief of police told me a few years ago that he is the one who brought him in that day as a rookie officer and that he received the confession. I guess the only chance I would have would be if he would testify against his own department, which I highly doubt. He told me that there was nothing in his personnel file about it. I wonder how long the mental hospital would hang on to the records, because his psychiatrist talked with us as a family, so I know that they have his confession. I know the exact date because it was my 13th birthday. I do remember my mother being on the phone with the chief of police begging him to drop the charges. He was reluctant to do so because he was afraid that I would some day come after them someday. I called the district attorneys office some years after I turned 18 and the lady on the phone got snotty with me after I told her my story and she said, "what is it that you expect us to do about it after all these years?" I was shaking too hard after that reaction and realized that I was only opening myself to more rejection that I would not be able to handle. I'm 43 now, no longer allowing others to intimidate me. As one could only expect, it took me longer than usual to be strong and to stand up for myself. I just feel that more than one crime has been committed here.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2007, 12:03 PM
    You need to start with an attorney. The attorney can subpeona the records of the police department. The attorney can also give you an idea of how likely your case is.

My guess, is the town will be willing to settle if you keep it quiet. Even if you lose in court, the publicity will be damaging.

I would have to offer that 1977 was a different time in this country. Abuse like you suffered was more often than not swept under the rug. Unfortunately your case is not as unsual as we would like. Abuse by priests were covered up and the police code of silence was much stronger than it is now.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nov 7, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You need to start with an attorney. The attorney can subpeona the records of the police department. The attorney can also give you an idea of how likely your case is.

My guess, is the town will be willing to settle if you keep it quiet. Even if you lose in court, the publicity will be damaging.

I would have to offer that 1977 was a different time in this country. Abuse like you suffered was more often than not swept under the rug. Unfortunately your case is not as unsual as we would like. Abuse by priests were covered up and the police code of silence was much stronger than it is now.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    I live in Tennessee now, and this happened in Indiana. Would I contact a local attorney here, or do I need to contact one in Indiana? Isn't there some kind of bureau that looks into the conduct of police departments?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2007, 01:39 PM
    There are several such bureaus but no national agency, especially not in a case like yours. I would start with a local lawyer who you can sit down with and talk to face to face. If they need a local rep in Indiana they can find one.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 05:03 AM
    I was reported to my father-I fed up!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Severe Childhood sexual abuse [ 5 Answers ]

In Canada, how does one go about reporting severe childhood sexual abuse that took place 40 years ago... I'm not sure charges can be laid, or even if this man can be found or is even alive, I've tried looking, reaching out to classmates from high school who knew the family, but the wall seems to...

Too late to charge my father for sexual abuse? [ 13 Answers ]

I was sexually molested by my father from about. 1966 (age 8) to about. 1973 I want him help accountable for this Is it too late to have him charged? He also abused my older and younger sister. Younger sister will support me should I be able to charge him. The only evidence I have: A...

Child abuse survivor. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I am a 46 yo survivor of child abuse at the hands of my mother and father. The abuses consisted of beatings, being verbally abused, being tickled until I urinated in my pants, and emotional neglect. On one occasion I was beaten until I was unconscious by my father and experienced a near...

Sexual abuse [ 16 Answers ]

I have a friend who recently told me that she is being sexually abused at home. She said her dad has been sexually abusing her since she was a little kid. She won't let me go to the cops about it, and she says if I do she will deny it on the stand if it goes to court. I don't know what to do. She...

Will sexual abuse change one's sexuality? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I desperately need a professional answer to my questions, 1- if a guy was melosetd by men when he was a young boy will he grow up to be gay? 2- is the first sexual experience in a person life will be stuck in one's mind forever , this is related to my first question, which means a...

View more questions Search