Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SumDuud Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2005, 07:28 AM
    Furnace won't stop blowing air - replaced the thermostat
    I have a Janitrol U-29A that is probably about 8 years old. I don't when it started, but sometime over the summer it began acting up. The blower does not stop blowing air unless I turn off the furnace at the circuit breaker. The AC unit outside turns on and off through the thermostat, but the heater does not come on and the unit just blows the air it pulls from the house.

I checked on here and some other places and the most common answer was check the thermostat. I went out and got one that has some nice features (and even if it is not the thermostat, it will be nice to have this new one rather than my old turn dial one) and replaced the old one.

About a year ago something happened to the furnace and the control board got fried (it looked like it got a drop of water on it and it would not even turn on.) I checked for similar issues and there is nothing that I can see.

I have seen places on the web say it could be a temperature control switch, but I could not find anything mentioning that in the parts manual. I was wondering if you all might think that could be an issue ro if I should check something else.

Thanks for your time in advance,
    Jon
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2005, 07:41 AM
    The most likely problem is the relay that controls the blower. Unfortunately, likely it is on the control board you just replaced. I guess you could be lucky and it is still be under warranty.

There is a limit switch somewhere around the heat exchanger that turns on the blower when the heat exchanger is warm. It could be stuck. However, with the furnace not coming on either, I would bet the control board is bad.
    SumDuud Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2005, 07:47 AM
    Thanks I will check it out. I hope it is under waranty, though I doubt it... oh well at least I have experience replacing them. :)
    Allen4Val Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 05:49 PM

Ok I'm going to assume that you have a gas or oil furnace. There are limit swiches all over the furnace. These switches keep your furnace safe. When one goes bad or is doing it's job the furnace will not run and fan ususlly keeps blowing in order to cool the unit down. You may also have a bad fan relay in the unit. It is time to call in a qualified service person to check out your unit.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 05:56 PM
    The board has a diagnostic LED. Any activity?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace sometimes blowing cold air [ 7 Answers ]

We bought a brand-new house in May 2002. This winter (I don't think it happened last winter) when it got really cold outside, the furnace blew cold air. When it warms up outside, it starts blowing warm again. We had someone come and look at it and he told us it had a 30 degree heat pump?? And when...

Replaced thermostat - now no hear or a/c! [ 10 Answers ]

My 15-yr old thermostat has weird programming quirks that I got tired of so I bought a new one and installed it. I made sure to follow the instructions to the letter and am quite sure that the wiring was correct. However, when I turned the breakers in my main house breaker panel back on neither...

Furnace blowing cold air [ 3 Answers ]

Ruud oil furnace blowing cold air, fan running constantly

Furnace blower on, blowing cold air [ 4 Answers ]

We installed a pellet stove with the intent of using the furnace blower to distribute the air throughout the home, however, nothing but cold air comes through the vents. Can anyone tell me why this is ?

No power after thermostat replaced [ 3 Answers ]

Ok... I know better... but since I was dealing with low voltage... I figured no harm... WRONG! :eek: I should have turned off the breaker when replacing my thermostat... enough said. I replaced my thermostat (simple comfort 3001) with a honeywell RTH6300b because the simple comfort display was...

View more questions Search