Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jstnvme Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

Nov 16, 2005, 11:49 PM
    High speed internet
    I am pondering what kind of high speed internet to get for my computer. I am currently working with a dial up connection and would like to know what kind of high speed hook up I can use to my advantage. I am primarily using the connection for downloading music off Limewire. Love my music so give some really good input. Do I go with Comcast or should I wait to see what is out there? Also, if I do decide to go with any of the popular high speed connections, what else must I look out for? Thanks for your input.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 17, 2005, 01:05 AM
    What you are looking for is some kind of Broadband connection.

Domestic Broadband generally comes in 2 types Cable and ADSL.

Cable uses the same wires as you cable TV while ADSL uses your telephone line.

What the best service to go for is depends on your monthly budget, but as Broadband connection prices are dropping rapidly you can get a lot of bang for your buck.

I would recommend, as a minimum a 1Meg connection, although there are faster they are also more expensive.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2005, 04:49 AM
    High Speed
    Hi,
    I also have the ole telephone line dial-up, through an Internet Service Provider.
    There are no cable or DSL connections available in my particular area, as yet.
    In your local area, do you know what cable or DSL is available to you?
    For example, if you know the name of a cable company in your area, say Adelphia, or who ever, you can go online, go to the website for that company, and type in your zip code, other info, and find out if it's available in your area.
    The other suggestion of looking for at least a 1 Meg connection is very good, and I have seen ads for a 750 KB connection, with more money for 1 Meg.
    I would first see what is actually available in your area, then telll us what is available, and possibly the different connection speeds offered, if any.
    Hope you do get something, dial-up is for the birds!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2005, 06:22 AM
    A good source of info about broadband connections is dslreports.com.

The difference between cable and DSL is that cable is a shared medium while DSL is a dedicated line. With a cable connection you connect to a node in your area with other neighbors. This node then connects to the cable company's network. Heavy activity on the node could affect your performance. However, most cable companies keep a limit to how many connections they make to a node to limit that problem. Most cable connections are faster then DSL generally around 3Mbps. Some cable servies do offer different tiers at different prices like DSL.

With DSL, you are connected directly to a nearby Central Office (CO). DSL can then guarantee a constant speed between you and the CO. The CO is then connected directly to the Internet. However such speeds start at a fraction of cable speeds. To get comparable speeds you have to pay for a higher tier.

Also, what broadband is available to you depends on where you live. You need to check with your local providers.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2005, 07:18 AM
    Cable works great for me. I had an extremely poor local phone company. I went with cable. I dropped the local clowns and saved almost enough on my phone bill using Vonage VOIP to pay for the broadband. I now pay a total of $72 for high speed broadband and complete local and long distance phone. Phone quality is better than my old line, and I have more features than Iwill ever use.

Comcast may be offering VOIP now. Vonage and others are available anywhere you have hot, running ethernet.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 17, 2005, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Most cable connections are faster then DSL generally around 3Mbps

Psssst Scott I'm currently running an 8Meg ADSL line soon to be upgraded to 24Meg ADSL2+ :p ;)
    All for a mere £30 a month (about $50!! ) including phone :D
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2005, 10:12 AM
    I will leave the discussion of different broadbands to Scott and Ben that know more than I do. I am not even sure what speed mine is. I do notice AMHD pages load much faster than some other sites. Can't imagine say All Experts pages require so much more data, that they take 10 times as long to load. Down load speed is limited by the speed of the server and your system as well as your connection. Some of my problems may be servers that don't work well with the Konqueror browser I am using. I do without the ones that don't work at all.

Nov 17, 2005, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Psssst Scott I'm currently running an 8Meg ADSL line soon to be upgraded to 24Meg ADSL2+ :p ;)
    All for a mere £30 a month (about $50 !!!) including phone :D
    In the US most DSL lines start around 750 Kbps, then start jacking the prices up as you get faster. Cable systems are improving their infrastructure. I pay $45/mth for my cable access with speeds generally in the 6-8 Mbps range.

Nov 18, 2005, 08:44 AM
    High Speed Internet
    Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone, I looked into what my provider is and it's Comcast. So, I have Comcast cable, with availabel digital cable, and hiph-speed internet. 4meg for $35 a month for first 6 months and then obviously pay more the rest of the way. For $2 more per month, I can jump to 6megs, or $10 more per month I can go to 8megs. Now, I am thinking about what I really want the high speed internet for and that is my never ending quest for lost music. So, should I go with the 6meg since it's only an extra 2 bucks, or should I splurge myself with the 8meg=144 times faster than 56K dial-up?
    Also, say I do get Comcastic about this, does anyone know the installation charge? And is it a bad idea for wireless connection? I live in Chicago...
    and I have over active sweat glands.
    Thanks!

Nov 18, 2005, 05:03 PM
    Most cable companies allow you to do it yourself. This involves putting a splitter on the cable line and running a cable (you can get all you need at RadioShack) from the splitter to the Cable modem, then a Ethernet patch cable from the modem to your PC or a router if you have multiple PCs. You then need to register the modem with the cable company and viola.

Nov 19, 2005, 07:52 AM
    Hi-speed internet
    Makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. I've seen the Comcast advertisement from the Radio Shack commercials and I got the sudden urge for a faster connection. Cheers!

Nov 19, 2005, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jstnvme
    Makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. I've seen the Comcast advertisement from the Radio Shack commercials and I got the sudden urge for a faster connection. Cheers!

Good luck,

We'll be here if you need more help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Fan No High Speed [ 5 Answers ]

I have a remote only Hampton Bay fan, everything works except the high speed, it worked last year.:confused:

High Speed Dail-Up [ 8 Answers ]

The New York Times reported on BPL. Internet over the power lines on Oct17,2005. I have been told that the next big thing is high speed dial-up. What keeping the FCC from granting faster modem speeds? How fast can dial-up go? I have not been able to find any information on this subject. Thanks in...

Ceiling fan high speed [ 1 Answers ]

I reinstalled a ceiling fan from the basement. When it was down there all 3 speeds worked fine. Now that I've reinstalled it upstairs, it only runs on high speed. The are 4 wires from the fan, white black blue and green. Green is ground, blue is for the light, white neutral and black hot. 3...

High Speed Blower motor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Pulse 21 gas single zone forced air furnace. The blower motor is supposed to have 3 speeds. Right now everything works but when I turn on my AC the blower uses the same speed that it does for heat. Could there be something wrong or do I just need to rewire something?

View more questions Search