Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CharD03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Ex's in family photos
    I would love to have a family photo with my boyfriend our new baby boy and his son (5, Devonte) from a previous relationship. However, my boyfriend brings up that he doesn't want to exclude his ex if we take a photo with her (their) son. I don't want to look at my family photo and see her. I would even be okay with him taking a family photo with her and their son and then our own. He says I would just creat separatism. I don't know how to explain to him that 'yes, you are still involved in your son's life but as far as their family unit goes, its just his ex and their son. Am I going about this the wrong way? Am I just be selfish?
    sadgirlbecca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 01:56 PM
    HUmm... I don't think your selfish 4 thinking this way. I would think the same thing! Honestly, I think your totally right.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 02:46 PM
    If you are not getting them professionally done -Compromise. Take pictures in every combination you can think of
    Him and his son,
    Him, ex and son,
    You, him, sons,
    Even professionally done I think they give you at least three different poses where you can add and take out people.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 08:02 PM
    I can see his point. He doesn't want a picture of you, him, and your child together, and one of him, his other son, and the ex, because that sends a clear message to your step-son that he isn't part of the new family. And it seems that he is trying very hard to remain involved in his son's life, which is a very good thing. Kids, boys especially, need their fathers. Whether you like it or not, their "family unit" is NOT just the ex and their kid. He is a part of it, and will be, hopefully, for all his son's life.

Having said that, I am having a hard time myself with figuring out how to fit the ex into a family photo. I'm leaning towards Nohelp's view... take several pictures with different combinations of people. That way you will have some with and without the ex, which should hopefully make everyone happy.
    jessa1200 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 08:17 PM
    I'm 22 and a step child in a family my mom and step dad and I have pictures together. I would never want my father in a picture with my mom and I alone it sends an unclear message to a young child as they grow up as well as family members. I honestly find it weird of him to say she has to be in it because they have a son together. I wouldn't mind if my dad wanted to come and get pictures with just him and I but not with my mom in them or vice versa...
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Nov 9, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Personally I don't think that the ex should be in the picture. My boys and I take "family" pictures with our family but I don't call my ex to get him in them. I'm sure he takes pictures, or he would if he visited them, and I'm not there and wouldn't want to be. Are you sure his ex even wants to be in them? They must get along great if he wants to do this, I hear that happens sometimes. ;)
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
    If you were wanting pictures of just you, your BF and your child - then okay, I could see where he is coming from.
    But, since you want the other son included - I don't get it.
    The ex SHOULD NOT be in your family picture. That door has closed. Unless you guys act as one big happy family and she is a part of your daily life - then I don't think it is appropriate to have her in the picture.
    I would have to question WHY he wants her in the picture - the reason given doesn't hold water with me.
    jjstrickland88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CharD03
    I would love to have a family photo with my boyfriend our new baby boy and his son (5, Devonte) from a previous relationship. However, my boyfriend brings up that he doesn't want to exclude his ex if we take a photo with her (their) son. I don't want to look at my family photo and see her. I would even be okay with him taking a family photo with her and their son and then our own. He says i would just creat separatism. I don't know how to explain to him that 'yes, you are still involved in your son's life but as far as their family unit goes, its just his ex and their son. Am i going about this the wrong way? Am i just be selfish?
    No girl don't you fall for that! If he isn't with her then he doesn't need to take a picture with her, because all its going to do to the child is give him false hope that they are getting back together. Look I am a divorced mother I have a three year old and I just got married to my husbund and we now have a child together,and I'm sure that if I said that I wanted to have a family picture made with my ex husband he would flip out and I couldn't blame him, because he is not in our family that we now have you know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do ex's do what they do? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex bought for my birthday something I really wanted but didn't buy because it was expensive. I'm almost positive he doesn't want me back, and he knows I'm having a hard time getting over him. So why?

Ex's [ 2 Answers ]

Omg... I have two ex boyfriends and the first guy I went out with when I was 16 and turned 17 a little while when were were together for about a year and we broke up because he treated me like crap and then I started going out with this other guy and he treated me great and I was so happy and then...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

View more questions Search