Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickieyes Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2005, 03:49 PM
    Any way to password protect desktop folder in XP Pro?
    Hello:

I am running Windows XP Pro with SP 2. I would like to know if there is a way to password protect folders on my desktop. For instance, lets say I have all the "default" icons and then I create 5 or 6 folders for different things that I want to put in them. Say I forget to log off or leave my desk for a minute and there is one folder I don't want anyone to get into. Is there a free program out there or a way where if someone double clicked on the folder to open it, it would ask them for a password?

Thanks,

Paul
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2005, 04:07 PM
    Right click on the folder and chose Send to > Compressed (zip) folder.

Open the new folder and choose File > Add a Password.

Choose a password and you're set.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2005, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nickieyes
    Hello:

I am running Windows XP Pro with SP 2. I would like to know if there is a way to password protect folders on my desktop. For instance, lets say I have all the "default" icons and then I create 5 or 6 folders for different things that I want to put in them. Say I forget to log off or leave my desk for a minute and there is one folder I don't want anyone to get into. Is there a free program out there or a way where if someone double clicked on the folder to open it, it would ask them for a password?

Thanks,

paul
    Set your screen saver to kick in after a short time. Rick gave you one way. I wouldn't put such folders on the desktop.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2005, 01:49 AM
    Scott & Rick have given you some good suggestions. I tried looking for some completely free software but couldn't find any. Plenty of free trials but no freeware. Here's a search at Download.com with a number of results for what you need:

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0....&search=+Go%21

Another helpful tip - if you want to lock your computer quickly, press the Windows key + L. I'd go with Scott's idea of just putting on the screen saver and setting it to return you to the welcome screen on wakeup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I protect my daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

I just wanted to say thank you for your help. The advice has been useful.:)

Protect against hackers [ 11 Answers ]

Is there a program to protect against hackers so u can't get hacked or is your firewall what protects against that type of stuff?

Password protect [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a feature in windows me that allows me to password protect only one folder such as "my documents" or is there a freeware or shareware program available??

Setup an password in folder access [ 5 Answers ]

Dear sir; I want to setup an password in my desire folder I have win98 folder what should I do to protect my folder from other without changing my user account

How to protect afolder with a password in win 98 [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to give any folder a password protection and how thanks :o

View more questions Search