Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GUMANE RAJESH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
    What does this number means on gold jewellery
    Kdm 220 B
    rawpotatoeater37 Posts: 244, Reputation: 8

Nov 7, 2007, 06:01 PM
    KDM is indicative that the piece was soldered with cadmium.

"KDM: Gold Jewelry from some places is / was marked with a KDM stamp which means that the Jewelry was soldered with Cadmium. Cadmium called 'Kadium' in some places and marked KDM was traditionally used in soldering of gold jewelry for its good properties of liquidity and melting at lower temperatures, which is not the case any more as Cadmium is known to create toxic fumes when melted, which are very dangerous to health, over a period of time and may be harmful to humans, making the gold jewelry, some countries have banned the use of Cadmium from use, from workshops. Jewelers in many parts of the world now use gold solders, which are free from Cadmium. Please note that the wearer of the gold jewelry is not harmed, this issue only concerns the manufacturing process. Also note that using any type of gold solder either KDM (Cadmium) or other gold solder, to make the jewelry does not guarantee the purity of gold, as the purity is a representation of the percentage of gold in any metal."
    (Gold Jewelry: 22K Gold Jewelry Chains Necklaces Rings Wedding Bands Bracelets Watches Pendants Gifts)

There isn't much on 220 B, though. It could have something to do with the conductivity of the metal, but why would that be important for jewelry? It could also be an artist's stamp...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good name for jewellery company [ 4 Answers ]

I am jewellery disigner and can not find a good name for my private business. Can you help me?

Jewellery co name [ 1 Answers ]

Unique Name of Jewellery exports co

Cameo Jewellery [ 7 Answers ]

I've created a model of a cameo and I want to produce it in glass. It would be great if the manufacture could produce the cameo- gold plated frame-and packaging. Thanks, Bronze77 email.

Jewellery [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know anything about onno boekhoudt, a jeweller from the netherlands? If so, could you please send me some info. It would be much appreciated.

View more questions Search