Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptoma2000 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Kenmore "Elite" Gas Dryer won't turn on.
    Hi,

What is the difference between the thermal fuse and the thermal shutoff ? Are they different areas of responsibility ? I would think a fuse and shutoff are the same thing.

Thanks
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Nov 6, 2007, 09:00 AM
    The thermal fuse or "thermostat" controls how "hot" the dryer is getting... if it's way to hot then it trips for safety reasons.

The "thermal" shutoff is the device that shuts the dryer off when it gets too hot.

So one is a "sensor" and the other is the control device.

Nov 6, 2007, 09:11 AM
    So when the thermal fuse trips how does it get reset ?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2007, 09:27 AM
    It should be automatic, when the dryer cools down If not then you'll need to replace it.

Nov 7, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Thanks...

Well, the problem I was having may have been the thermal fuse... my dryer works fine now... I did absolutely nothing except investigate the problem... so, fingers are crossed...

Nov 7, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Glad to hear that you'll have dry clothes today!

Cheers

Nov 7, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Hahaha... I just use my neighbors' dryers... I distribute the workload out and get my drying done for free... hahahahaha
    applsvcgirl Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Nov 10, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Thermal fuse is what it says it is a fuse. It does not reset. It is located on the lint duct on the top screen models and on the blower housing on the front screen models. The fuse is white. The thermal cut out is the thermostat that polices the heater housing in case of an overheat due to an element problem. It is also a single trip much like the fuse. Both are indicators of a bigger problem.

Nov 16, 2007, 10:39 PM
    Well... I have my problem again... the control panel won't light up when I press buttons so I can't turn on my dryer...
    applsvcgirl Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Nov 19, 2007, 05:02 AM
    This sounds like a different problem or you didn't provide "the rest of the story" the first time. Could you supply the model number this time and I can start from the beginning?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite HE 4t "F 02" and "Suds" error [ 11 Answers ]

I have an Elite He 4T frontloading washing machine, it is almost 3 years old - no more warranty! It has been giving me the F 02 error code, which is "Drain Problem". There are no items in the drain on the inside of the machine, I tookoff the hose it is clear. I stuck a wire hanger down the opening...

Kenmore "Catalyst" Elite Washer fills but that's it [ 2 Answers ]

Model # 110 20072993 My washer fills with water then does nothing-no sounds-timer does count down but never comes out of wash cycle I took the cabinet off and drained the water so I can work on it tomorrow, any help? Thanks Kevin

Kenmore "elite" dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Do you know which connections are which for the electrical cord wiring? I've got to change the three prong factory cord to a four prong cord which, for one thing has four wires where the other only has three, and the factory cord has three grey wires that are not identified as to which wires are...

Kenmore Elite Calypso "ob" error message [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I can't find my manual on my washer. It's a Kenmore Elite Calypso. It goes through most of the cycle and towards the end I get "ob" error message. I'm thinking it means off balance, but it has been balanced. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bridget

View more questions Search