Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2003, 04:54 PM
    Repair under front porch
    We bought a five year old house that has a concrete front porch. The porch is only eight inches in height above the lead up sidewalk/walkway from the driveway (hope that makes sense) The builder who built the home did not put any concrete steps up to the porch Because of the only 8 inch difference from the sidewalk
    To the top of porch it probably does not need a step.
    However, the underneath of the porch, I believe, is just concrete. There is five inches from the entrance walkway to the bottom of the concrete porch. The problem is that during the build of the home the underneath concrete that is visible from the front of the house (street view) was waterproofed with tar and looks beat up and very unsightly. It shows the entire width of the walkway across the porch, about five feet. Is there anything we can do, apply, etc to this 5 inch by five feet or so area that would either blend in with the porch, walkway or just make it look more appealing? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.
    crypt0666 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2003, 07:15 AM
    Re: repair under front porch
    You could use a piece of lattice to cover it over, that way it will also keep animals out from underneath as well
    sierra1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2003, 09:12 PM
    Hello,

If I'm understanding what you are saying about the space, most of the time I have covered things with a concrete patch! Most patches are paintable and if you take your time, you can feather it in real nice (to blend with the old) then paint it to match. Since this space is 5" long by 5' wide (5x5) you may want to put a backer or a mesh over the space before you float it, this will cut down on the amount of patch that you will have tu use, and will help with preventing cracks. Well good luck with your project and hope this helps you out some.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2003, 09:19 PM
    Just paint the porch and the tarred part with a latex floor paint. Either use a concrete like gray, or a color you like.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixing Concrete Steps - Front Porch [ 3 Answers ]

It appears that the front step on my house has settled and dropped about 6 - 8 inches from where it was originally attached to the front of the house. The house is about 20 years old with a slanted front yard and this took place long before we moved in. Originally my plan was to just add another...

Sleep porch wirering [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 90 foot run to wire from my house to a sleep shack. If I run 2 12/2 wires this distance will it loose power. Also can I use a grounding stake by the sleep shack or should I just stay with the main? Thanks

Front Porch needs boards replaced [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My front porch needs some boards replaced. The previous owner did a quickie repair job on some rotted wood. We have 2 pillars and on the outside front corner they sawed the decking at the pillar base so now we need to hire someone to jack up the roof and replace the boards underneath. ...

Any Ideas For Porch Skirting? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. We are trying to decide what would look good as a skirting for our front porch. It previously had plain wood lattice and that has been removed. We have looked at vinyl lattice but would prefer something more solid. Has anyone had experience with stone (faux) veneer? Can't find a source for it....

Porch eroding away [ 1 Answers ]

My home is about 10 years old and the front porch is on a slope. Currently, there is no retaining wall (which I plan to add). Due to erosion over the past few years, the porch has begun to sink, pulling the molding away about 1/4 of an inch away from the brick above the door. You can see under...

View more questions Search