Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christj1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2007, 10:25 PM
    IS disability income either from Social Security or Prudential taxable
    Mu social secuirty disability is 2050 a month. I bought (through my former employer) long term diability insurance with after tax dollars (no employer contribution). The total between the two is approx 5400/mo. Is this income taxable and if so to what extent?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 6, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Since you paid for the Prudential disability insurance out-of-pocket, that income is not taxable.

Social Security Disability is NEVER taxable.

Nov 6, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by christj1
    Mu social secuirty disability is 2050 a month. I bought (through my former employer) long term diability insurance with after tax dollars (no employer contribution). The total between the two is approx 5400/mo. Is this income taxable and if so to what extent?
    I posted this message here and continued to look for my answer. I came across a website called "Free Advice". It said that Social Security disability benefits may be taxed. If you file a federal income tax return as an individual with a combined income between $25000 and $34000 then 50% of the Social Security disability payments are subject to income tax. If your combined income exceeds $34000 then 85% of your Social Security disability benefits are taxable. It went on to say if you had third party disability benefit that you paid for (not your employer) with after tax dollars then that is not taxable. Your answer is defintiely different. WHich is true?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:39 AM
    Social Security Benefits may be taxable. Look at Internal Revenue Service for rules.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 7, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Your Prudential disability income is totally tax-free and does not enter into the equation.

That being the case, you need only consider the Social Security disability, which, at $24,600, is below the tax threshold.

Hence, I stand by my original posting IF the Social Security disability and the non-taxable Prudential disability are your ONLY sources of income.

Nov 7, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Thanks for the second response. I thought the IRS would add my Prudential disability incme with my SSDI and then determine if I was over the threshold. Thanks for the help!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 09:36 PM
    IRS info

Are Your Social Security Benefits Taxable?
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Glad to help!
    dandydon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 10:36 AM

How do you know that the Prudential payments are non-taxable? Will there be a line item on the paycheck stub? All I see is a CA SUI/SDI which I different then Prudential. I assume that this is pre-tax or it would be reelected on my paycheck stub.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 11:19 AM
    The rules on taxability of private disability compensation are rather simple:

- If the recipient paid for the disability insurance premiums out-of-pocket, the monthly disability payments are NOT subject to state or federal income taxes.

- If the recipent's disability insurance premiums were paid for by the employer, then they are considered to be deferred compensation and are therefore FULLY taxable.

In the original post, Christj clearly stated: "I bought (through my former employer) long term diability insurance with after tax dollars (no employer contribution)."

Hence, the benefit is NOT TAXABLE!
    cochrkm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2010, 04:28 PM
    I am receiving ss long term disability and ltd through my employer which I paid for entirely. I was getting 3500 per month from my employer all non taxable. Now ss disability is paying 2150 per month so my employer reduced there payment by 2150 to 1350 per month. Problem is ss disability is going to be taxed at around 25%. I therefore loose around $537 per month to taxes. Seems wrong that I have to take a 537 pay cut from the 3500 I was getting.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 25, 2010, 03:53 PM
    It may appear to be wrong from your point of view, but the tax law is rather clear, and no one EVER said tax law was fair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Disability? And a child [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was married 12 years ago , and got a divorce. The mother of his son they had, remarried four years ago. My husband fell ill and almost died from diebeities complications. During this time recoporating he than went on SSD for Mental Illness,bi-polar. His ex wife took him to court and...

Social Security Disability [ 10 Answers ]

In 1981 I had a head injury in the U.S. Navy with a 10% disability medical discharge. I suffer from sever and frequent migrains or cluster headaches. This has cost me over 18 jobs since then. I was wondering if I would qualify for SSdisability. Because of the medication I have to take to control...

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

I filed for SSI disability several years ago and received it. At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me. I have found out recently that I have lyme disease and the doctor thinks I have had it since I was in 8th grade. That would be over forty years. At the time I filed for SSID I didn't...

Social security disability : is it taxable? [ 3 Answers ]

I have just been approved for social security disability and would like to know if the back award is taxable or if themonthly benefit is taxable?

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search