Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brenda987 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2005, 10:59 AM
    Calif. Mom uses drugs dad wants custody
    My son and his ex were using drugs. He got cought and has been in a program for 18 months. All of the counseling he has had, has made him realize he does not want drugs in his life. His girlfriend told him she would stop using. Well she got pregnant. She wouldn't go to the doctor until she was 7 months and on her 1st visit she tested positive for methamphetamines. She claims is was meds. The doctor give her but disappeared for days and didn't go back and retest for 15 days. That test came back clean and she says that is proof the 1st one was wrong.
    My son went to CPS, the DA, and the police to try to get help, to get her into a treatment program. They all said the same thing, They couldn't do anything until the baby was born.
    She called my son to take her to the hospital when she went into labor. She was in the hospital for 4 days and my son stayed with her most of the time. Went out and got her food as she didn't like the hospital food, that sort of thing. The whole time she was telling him she loved him and wanted them to be together as a family. They filled out the papers for the birth certificate, then she said she was too tired to sign them right then. On the 3rd day she had him come home and get all the things he had got for the baby ( car seat, stroller, clothes, diapers, blankets everything) said they would need it all at her house for the baby.
    The 4th day he took her home with all the baby thing as well. Then she told him she wanted to rest and for him to go home for awhile. He thought that was strange but said OK. After a couple hours he called and she wouldn't talk to him so he decided to go there and see what was going on. When he got there CPS was there. She demanded he leave so she could talk to CPS alone. He didn't want to fight with her so he drove down the street and waited. When the CPS worker was leaving she stopped and told him she needed to talk to him the next day. During all this his ex's mother was having a fit because she didn't like the name they had picked for their daughter. The next day he found out that the CPS worker had been at the hospital with her while he was at home getting the baby things. She had told them she had everything she needed at home to take care of the baby. The CPS worker told my son he would have to do random drug testing and parenting classes and he had better get a restraining order to protect his self from the things that were being said about him. Later that day when he went to see her and his baby his ex told him the only reason CPS had came to the hospital was because he had reported her over the test when she was 7 months. Her mother said he was never allow in her house and would not let him see his child.
    So he got the hospital records a few days later and found out the reason CPS was at the hospital was because she had tested positive for opiates and that his ex had gone back to the hospital and changed the birth certificate. She changed the babies name and took his name off.
    He has filed for custody and when they went to meditation she claimed he had positive drug test ( he had court proof that is a lie) that she has never been in trouble in her life ( he has proof that is a lie a court record for possession) Every thing she say about him he can prove is a lie, yet no one will listen to him or look at the proof he has against her. She told the meditator that he is racist against her kids from her former husband because they are half Spanish and wouldn't listen to him when he tried to tell them he loves the kids and his been taking care of them for 2 years.
    The CPS worker is also Spanish and we are sure the ex told her this story as well ( in Spanish no less ) because when my son went back to talk to the CPS worker she was very hostile to him and after he left, called his ex and told her every thing he said.
    It seems no one will look at the court documents he has but will believe everything she says without question.
    Another thing that is really troubling is that when her 3 year old was born CPS took the child away from her because of drugs. She claims the father made a false report, how ever we have no idea how to get a copy of that or if it is even possible to.
    She lives with her mother and 36 year old brother ( who has records for drug use and possession and Assault with a firearm while on drugs (more court records no one will look at). They live in a 3 bedroom house and all 3 adults have a room so the kids have to sleep in their rooms. We know her 3 year old daughter sleeps in the bed with her mother and her 5 year old son and 2 month old baby sleep in the bed with her. I have no idea what CPS was told about this but there are no other beds in the house.
    We would be very thankful for ANY advice or help we could get. Any information on a wed site with in formation.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 16, 2005, 11:31 AM
    Its up to your son to initiate any action to straighten this mess out.Talk to him about an attorney and support him if he decides to move forward,he's going to need all the help he can get.Drugs devastate not only the addict but go through the lives of everyone around them like a tornado.Unfortunately kids are caught in the crossfire and unless there is some kind of intervention on their behalf they will be the first victims of this disease.They are helpless you are not,Somebody needs to protect the kids.talk to a lawyer and a counselor,and realize you have a long uphill battle coming. There are no easy solution so good luck to you and your son.
    Brenda987 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2005, 01:27 PM
    Thanks
    He has got a attorney and has filed for custody. And we are trying to build a good case but are having a hard time finding out what all we can get and where to get it. Like the court records we have. His attorney was surprised we did this but the truth is we don't want to leave any thing to chance and feel the need to get as much information as we can because we keep hearing how hard it is for fathers to get custody.
    A week after He spoke to the CPS worker the 1st time she called him back and told him, her superviser told her, he does not have to do the drug testing or the parenting class because he has never lived with her.
    The funny thing is he has taken a parenting class before all this because his ex already had kids. So he took a parenting class but she never would go with him. He also has a letter from the judge on his case stating he has been drug free for the past 18 months and is doing very well in his program and is helpful to new people coming into the program. Letters from the program counselers as well stating how well he is doing.
    One of the times when CPS went to her house and took the police with them (we don't know who reported her this time) they searched her house and told her brother to open his bedroom but he wouldn't. CPS told her they could take the kids right then if he didn't and he still wouldn't unlock the door. In the end CPS left and according to her have dropped her case.
    This is why my son went back and tried to talk to the worker only to find her hostile to him. We don't know what she is telling CPS but what ever it is it seems to be working for her. It seems she has had CPS in her life for so long that she knows how to get around them and we have no real idea how the CPS system works.
    We really don't understand how they can leave an infant with some one who keeps having positives drug test instead of putting her with the parent who can prove he is clean.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drugs and Addiction [ 12 Answers ]

Hi there Are there any teens out there with a problem?? This is my field of expertise and I would gladly answer any questions in this regard. Come on teens DON'T THROW YOUR LIVES AWAY Lets clean up our act.

Calif Child custody [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, first time on this site. I know everybody has a unique problem and of course so is mine. I can't even think of where to start. The story would take months to read. I guess the main issue right now is to see how non-bias individuals would react and say to the story my 4y/o son told me who...

Drugs and entry in2 us [ 1 Answers ]

Me and b/f wish to travel from ireland to the u.s (florida) my b/f was taken to court as he was in possession of a small amount of hash. (1) can he get into the u.s in September? (2) will he ever be able to travel to the us? (3) how do they know about his criminal record by looking at a...

Drugs [ 68 Answers ]

I have just read where Mexico votes to legalize small amounts of cocaine, heroin and marijuana. What are the implications where American citizens cross the boarder and use what is there legal drugs but would then have traces of the drug in their system for drug tests in the US. Since they did...

When can Calif. Step in and put mom in nursing home? [ 2 Answers ]

My mom lives in California. Dad passed away three years ago and it is just my sister and I and mom. I live in Wyoming, my sister in CA. My mom has my sister at her becken call and won't allow her to have a life with her son. Mom is very abusive to my sister and my sister is always calling us to...

View more questions Search