Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dean Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2004, 08:03 PM
    Overhead door opener
    A friend has stairs out of dining room that emerge through a rectagular opening in attic floor. The opening is covered with a piece of plywood backed by insulation board. This "flap" is hinged along one long side, and can be lifted and kept there by hook and eye. The flap appears to weigh about 30 pounds. The lady who owns the house is getting older, and wants to know if I can install an automatic opener/closer for the flap. Do they make such a thing?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2004, 06:31 AM
    Re: overhead door opener
    I doubt they make anything specially designed for for it. You could mount a little reversible motor with a drum maybe to a rafter and run a cable to the door. It would be over kill, but you could even adapt a garage door opener to it. They come complete with limit switches to automatically shut it off when it is open. Maybe a reversible drill would work. There are stands available to make mounting it in place easier. You would need to either rewire the controls to be below the attic, or mount the drill below the ceiling and run the cable up through and to a pulley above the flap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door opener [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone tell me if and how to install a garage door opener. My problem is that there is a full attic above my detached garage and the clearance between the joists and door is only an inch. Any ideas?

Garage Door Opener Light [ 1 Answers ]

It won't go out... besides unscrewing it, how do I get it to go out? The light button isn't turning it off. Thanks.

Build a Universal Garage Door Opener [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - not sure I'm posting to the right forum, but I couldn't find anything that was a closer fit. Basically, what I'm looking for is information about frequencies and datastream formats for automatic garage door systems. Yes, I'm completely aware that there are LOTS of cheap universal garage...

Garage door opener light [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get the light in my garage door opener to stay on? Unit is a Sears chain drive 1/2 hp. Thanks.

Sears garage door opener spring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a garage door opener that I purchased from Sears less than 2 years ago and I took out the extra warranty.. DO the warranty usually cover the breakage of the spring on the door itself? If not is it a easy job one could do himself? Or is something a professional should do? Thanks

View more questions Search