Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apmcdonnell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 05:59 PM
    New 3 wire socket replacing two wire socket
    We have a room that had a 2 wire socket, originally installed, and a three wire socket that was changed from a two wire socket by myself, called "Socket A". Recently an electrician installed two small fans in the same room and changed the 2 wire socket "Socket B" into a 3 wire socket. He did not connect the ground on the socket to the box, saying that the socket is grounded and that is all you need.

Since that time Socket A has not worked. Could the unconnected ground in Socket B have any relationship to the failure of Socket A to operate? The sockets are on the same breaker
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 07:37 AM
    No ground will not stop lights from working, 3rd prong on socket will not be grounded.
    It should be connected to green or bare wire, or the metal fixture?
    Is this a Receptacle? Or Fixture?
    Do you have green or bare wire in box?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Outlets are typically daisy-chained. Power enters the duplex receptacle and leave for the next one. A loose connection generally causes all outlets down stream to malfunction. Call the electrican back.

Nov 9, 2007, 01:18 PM
    They are duplex recepticles and probably in serial connection. The working connection has an unconnected ground.
    Should the electrician connect the ground to the case in all circumstances?

Nov 9, 2007, 01:20 PM
    There is a bare gound wire in the incoming wiring that is not connected to the duplex outlet.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
    The ground wire should be connected to BOTH the metal box and the grounded outlet. Your not allowed to rely on the outlet fastening screws to make the ground connection, but this is not the cause for the outlets not working. It is evidence of poor workmanship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

320 amp meter socket line wire [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a new service with two meter panels. One 320 amp meter socket and one 200 amp meter socket. The 320 amp is a 400 amp socket panel with a disconect (two 200 amp breakers). What size of line in from the transformer wire do I need? It's a typical 3 wire, single phase service. Does...

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

View more questions Search