Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sawyera bisiga Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Nov 5, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Um why don't I fit in?
    I just got switched to a new school and I noticed I'm the only one in the entire school that wears tight pants and who has their nose peirced and has long hair in the front. At my old school this was considered accepteable and I had tons of friends but here everyone hates me for what I look like and I'm not sure if its me or the clothes I wear? :confused:
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Nov 5, 2007, 05:04 PM
    It's always hard to be at a new school. Make sure that you are following the dress code so that you don't get in trouble. If you are, and people still have a problem with you, just hold your head up and be yourself. You are a unique and special person. You don't have to be or look like everyone else. I doubt if people hate you for how you look; they probably just don't know you yet. Ask a teacher who seems nice to introduce you to some kids that he/she thinks you might hit it off with. I had a teacher introduce me to some people when I started a new school in 10th grade, and one of those people is still my best friend today! Join a club or sport that you are interested in. If people think you're a little different at first, then just let them think that. Let your personality shine and as time goes by, they will realize that you are a unique person who has a lot to offer. If you aren't breaking the school's dress code, I doubt if you are offending people by what you wear. Sometimes people just need time to get used to seeing trends that they aren't used to. Like I said, just be you and try to be outgoing. People should like you for your personality, not for the clothes that you wear. Get involved in some school activities, and hang in there. After you have been there for a little while, people will be used to what you wear. Good luck! :)
    sawyera bisiga Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Nov 5, 2007, 05:15 PM
    That's the thing thought I don't get into trouble and I don't use drugs or alcohol anymore and apparently that's what you need to do to be cool at this place and I don't do that. If your different they think you're a threat so they bring you down.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Let them think you are a threat. It is their lose if they can't look past their shallow limiting image for everybody to be just like them. Is it possible to spend time with your friends from your old school?
    ashleynbrett88 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sawyera bisiga
    i just got switched to a new school and i noticed im the only one in the entire school that wears tight pants and who has their nose peirced and has long hair in the front. at my old school this was considered accepteable and i had tons of friends but here everyone hates me for what i look like and im not sure if its me or the clothes i wear? :confused:
    Not to sound mean or anything but why in the hell do you care.. you really shouldn't care what other people think.. ignore them.. your not there to make friends or that kind of bull your there to go to school and learn.. so do just that.. believe me high school is just a popularity contest and you should be smart and not participate in it. SCREW EM
    Miss lovley Posts: 125, Reputation: 5

Nov 5, 2007, 10:15 PM
    I think your pretty handsome and do they not know that tight jeans and long hair is IN... I personally think it is rather hott. Keep being you people will soon learn to accept you and if not screw them you don't need them. If they talk about you give them something to talk about. The way I see if if they atcually have nothing better to talk about besides you then your obviously doing something right! Let them keep making you the center of their world it's only making you FAMOUS!
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Nov 5, 2007, 11:05 PM
    Just got to say, whatever you do, don't follow the drug and alcohol thing no matter how 'acceptable' it might make you. I think you're way smarter than that. Just be you, you do not need to change to anyone's world.
    By the way, as it sounds I think your image is the one making a huge impact on how they're reacting towards you.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Nov 6, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Just stick to your principles. Don't drink or do drugs to fit in with people. You are making better choices than they are. If they don't want to hang out with you because you are choosing to be healthy and sober, then that is their loss. Maybe they know what they are doing is wrong, and when they see the example that you are setting, it makes them feel guilty. Try to get involved in some activities at school. You probably have a better chance meeting sober friends if you are involved in sports/other school activities where they drug test, or maybe you could join the DARE club at your school. Just do what you know is right, and as time goes by you will meet people who share the same values. If other people would rather do drugs and get drunk, then at least you know that you're probably better off without them in your life. Hang in there! :)
    Diandra__Magdalene Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Nov 9, 2007, 11:59 PM
    convert themm hahhaa

I was the same you just got to show people how cool this shizz is =]
    Lifes Ambition Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Sawyera,
    The people at your school are crazy!
    Skinny jeans and black long hair is so hot now!
    There's nothing wrong with you
    When I went into high school people called me like an emo skank because I wear skinny jeans.
    It shouldn't matter
    I don't think I'm a skank:S
    Or an emo
    I may dress it but I'm not
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Normally you will find 3/4 of a school does not fit in, and only a small group are ever considered the cool kids, and everyone allows their view points to rule.

So be yourself, don't dress one way for anyone else.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sawyera bisiga
    thats the thing thought i dont get into trouble and i dont use drugs or alchol anymore and apparently thats what you need to do to be cool at this place and i dont do that. if your different they think your a threat so they bring you down.
    Well, it may be that they see you as a prototype of someone that does do all these things and are judging you by the outer appearance. Be yourself and all will fall into place.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 01:21 PM
    All you need to do is studying hard like nobody's business!
    And then find a job, they will hire you instead of the long hair, tattoo, pierced kids, trust me!

You don't need to change a bit!
    Thisby649 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2007, 03:07 AM
    If that's you in the pic, then I have absolutely no idea! At my school, those styles are hot! All you need to do is be confident and talk to some people that are in your classes, but be patient, it takes time for people to open up to others! Hope it helps and you don't mind taking advice from a 12 year old :P
    brown_eyes_3546 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Dec 30, 2007, 09:49 PM
    Well I feel your pain I switched schools 12 times before I graduated as a junior last year. I know how important it is to feel like you fit in and for people to like you.

It sucks to not have any friends because no one accepts that you don't do drugs and you don't drink. Been there done that I feel for you. My best advice is to find some people that don't do those things and invite them to go to the mall or something that people in your new school do for fun. If you see someone do something weird don't be afraid to ask what they are doing and eventually you may begin to understand what they enjoy to do and you may like it yourself. Moving is a huge change especially if you have had the same friends most of your life. Just keep an open mind and try new things. Eventually someone will befriend you and then you will find yourself with your own "click"
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 10:09 PM
    When you took on that look, even if it was IN at your old school, you wanted to have a certain image associated with it. A lot of schools are not into the same scene, so it would make you seem different. Think about why it is so important to you to keep that same look? I'm not saying you should change or not, just think about what image you want to give, and if you can achieve that some other way.

Also remember that these people have probably been together for a long time, so you're an outsider even if you look identical to them. All of those people are dealing with peer pressure and have done whatever to fit in and find their place in the group over the time they have known each other. For them not to notice something different, or to start doing it, would put them in an awkward spot.

Sometimes, when people take on a look that is outside of the norm for a place, it alienates others or causes others to think that the person is taking on that look because he does not want to identify with the group.
    IheartEdward Posts: 203, Reputation: 4

Jan 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Well I've never changed school or anything but in my school hardly anyone would be they call "emo" but I really don't care I wear what I want to and I really don't care if people look at me or my friends. But then again I only have to stick up with that on non-uniform days and I'm guessing you don't have uniform.. well just do your thing, be different.
    Jay_Tee Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Hey, never let people drag you down, it's probably just jealousy. Judging by your picture you're not ugly, you're actually seem nice =).
    Give it some time, speak and smile to a lot of people, perhaps be more approachable towards people?
    Just don't let them change who you really are. Plus skinny jeans are really fashionable these days! I have a few pairs too.
    depressed_nikki Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 03:27 PM

Be yourself :) being at a new school is hard and challenging but you can be no one but yourself.. if people don't like you being who you are then it's there problem not yours... just be yourself and ignore them... who wants to fit in anyway.. not me :)
    pengo858 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 04:38 PM

Like other people said you shouldn't even care what they think. You can't change yourself, you don't want to get into drugs and alcohol. You are like me. I went to a new school and I'm muslim and people still stare because I'm different. I don't care what they think, if they stare at me I stare at them. You have to go out there and show them who you are , show them you are not all soft and stuff, because ifyou are you will never make any friends, you have to show them who's boss.Good Luck dude

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting fit [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to get fit as my cardio vascular system leaves a lot to be desired! I have joined a boxing club so that I can have someone shout at me to make me move. However I have a few questions... I nearly fainted last night I worked so hard - how can I stop this from happening? I ate an oat,...

How is the best way to get fit? [ 1 Answers ]

How is the best way to get fit? So I look awsome?

Can I get fit again at 38! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I am a mother of a 6yr old.Now am 68kilos at 5' 3' and look old. I was once an athelete , a karate green belt and was into aerobics. But for the last 8 years have not gone into excercising. Incidents of life, unhappy relationships, realisation I am 100 % responsible for my kid etc have forced...

I don't seem to fit in? [ 2 Answers ]

It seems like I don't really fit in anywhere. I'm 17 (male) and I had plenty of friends at scholl. But since I went to a different college everthings changed and I found out hu my real friends are. Also the people in my classes are imature and I can't seem to mix with anyone- not that id want to...

Getting Fit [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 35, male and 5'10. 3 years ago I has a 33 inch waist and weighed 170 lbs. I'm now about 194 lbs, and my waist has expanded to over 38 inches. I have a belly (my midsection really bulges out - all fat) and I'm getting a fair amount of fat around my chest. I don't mind being a little...

View more questions Search