Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annmarie311 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed
    Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of my moms illness, i told her via text message that i wouldn't be able to move in because i wouldn't be working (out of state) i told her to keep the 200.00 for her troubles, but she wants to sue me! For a yr. lease... help:mad: what is my best coarse of action... she also said... oh, i had other people who wanted to rent it but you have a child... blah blah... so i gave it to you... i told her to call the other people then... uuuggg...

Nov 5, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Worst case scenario.florida
    Ok, so i decide to not move into this rent that i spoke of in my previous post. Now, she takes me to court, i lose (sucks for me) and now she wants her money... it seems she has to go through a lot do obtain it.. like having county sherrifs bang on my door asking for assets that frankly... i don't have... kinda like getting blood from a stone i suppose? Anyone agree?? :confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Hello ann:

Do we agree to what? That it's hard to collect from a deadbeat? I'd agree to that.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Hello Ann:

You are responsible for the lease. However, the landlord is required to rent it as soon as she can to mitigate your damages. From what she says, she ought to be able to rent it within a month, so that should be the MOST you're going to be out.

Watch her to make sure she DOES attempt to rent it.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2007, 06:59 AM
    How much time between when you were supposed to move in and you notified the landlord?

Tell her to sue, I think she is bluffing.

Nov 6, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Lease not yet begun, she won't "let me out" .
    As I stated earlier, I did sign the lease, seeing she won't "let me out of it" I realize she could attempt to collect the entire rent, in Florida, they don't need to attempt to re-rent (fyi) so she could potentially sit back and try to collect.. My question is this. If I tell her, OK, fine ill rent the house, and she hasn't even attempted to call me back after several attempts... what do I do if I cannot get into premises on the day the lease starts? It appears as though she is just ignoring all the calls, emails, etc. So, what do I do to obtain entry?
    Furthermore, I don't appreciate being called a "deadbeat"... especially when your claim to fame is "EXCON". I merely asked a question, the sarcasm is not necessary.:o

Nov 6, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Bluffing or not? Florida
    Scott, I actually did call her bluff... so I guess we will see... :rolleyes: Not a whole lot I can do about it at this point, the house is only months away from foreclosure I'm sure of it... and I'm not going to rent it... shouldve went with my instincts, I had a bad vibe since the day I met with her.:mad:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 02:31 PM
    I would turn the tables on her and go to the magistrate and file a complaint. That you have considered your options since she will not let you out of the lease but she will also not communicate with you so that you can tell her you decided to rent it after all. You want the keys 0R let you out of the lease.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Send her a certified letter in the meantime so you have some evidence you tried to work this out.
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by annmarie311
    HAVING COUNTY SHERRIFS BANG ON MY DOOR ASKING FOR ASSETS THAT FRANKLY...I DONT HAVE...KINDA LIKE GETTING BLOOD FROM A STONE I SUPPOSE?
    Hello again, ann:

You can call a person who doesn't pay their bills anything you want. I call 'em deadbeats.

excon

Nov 6, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Are emails admissible in a court? Florida
    I have saved all the emails, correspondance with the prospective landlord, in one she stated, "i will come to your city on oct.19 to sign lease and collect the portion of the security deposit, in the event you cancel or dont move in you will lose this money" Im not sure if that would help me in anyway, but maybe.
    Oh well, wait and see I guess.
    PS. excon... who granted you the right to judge people and/or the circumstances they are in? Must have been all that religion b.s in jail... I don't know... lol... good thing what you "think" doesn't matter.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 08:21 PM
    I have seen some Judges allow emails, as evidence. However, I have also seen emails manufactured to look like someone sent them and that also has been proven in court. Ask you attorney.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 04:45 AM
    excon....who granted you the right to judge people
    Hello again, ann:

I'm not judging you. I couldn't care less if you're a deadbeat.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2007, 07:50 AM
    The e-mails must be fully intact with header information. Even then a judge may or may not accept them.

PS. excon....who granted you the right to judge people and/or the circumstances they are in?
    You did! As soon as you posted a question on this site, you opened yourself up to judgement by ANYONE who wants to comment on your situation. As long as those comments don't violate the rules of this site.

P.S. I've combined all your threads into this one. Please don't start additional threads on the same issue.

In reviewing the whole thread, I'm confused. On 11/5 you joined the site and opened this thread. Two hours later you posted that she had taken you to court and you lost. That doesn't make any sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Breaking a month to month lease that was signed 2 days ago. [ 1 Answers ]

Would I Be Able To Collect Back Money Paid To A Lessor For Security Deposit And 1st Months Rent If Apartment Is Not In A Sanitary And Safe Condition And the Lease Was Signed 2 Days Ago And Never Moved Into The Apartment And The Lease Is Month To Month

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Are email commitments to lease binding if the lease has not been signed? [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 emails from a rentor stating that they will take the property for the summer (like they have for the last 3 years) and that they are putting the lease and the check for the total rent amount in the mail. We then received an email saying they changed their minds. We never received the...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

View more questions Search