Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brandy_Lyn Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Skipping is addicting
    I am a 16 year old girl in my 11th grade year at high school. For the past 2 years, I was an amazing kid. I got good grades and I learned a lot. I was even able to get enough credits to graduate this year. Which would be cool for the current situation that I am in at home.

Like I said, I am graduating this year and will hopefully be entering college at the age of 17. But this year, something is gone. I don't have the drive or the feelings I did when I came to school last year. I'm being lazy and I don't feel like doing anything with my life any more. For the past week, I have skipped my algebra 2 class and I know now there is barely a possible way for me to pass it. And it really saddens me. I wish I could just go to class and be like a normal kid again. But I can't. Something is missing and I want it to come back. I don't focus in class like I used to and I can't really even pay attention. The only place where I feel a sense of accomplishment is in my job. I work really super hard and I give it everything I have.

I just don't think graduating high school is what my life will bring me. Its just not the same. I don't like the people and I don't have many friends. I just want to be on my own. Learning and feeling the things that adults feel. I seem to connect to adults better than kids my age and I want to be near them.

There is another reason why I don't want high school anymore. I have an amazing boyfriend and I want to be with him. He is the only person that I have been with that I feel true and lasting happiness. And I want that. This is not his decision it is mine.

So, if someone could give me advice. Some sort of insight into what I should do, or need to do. It would really really help.

Thank you
    Brandy
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Hello again Brandy. As I was reading your post, I kept thinking, "Well, this is easy" and then you answered your own question! LOL. The lack of interest in school is directly related to your boyfriend. You think about him and would rather be with him. But, please don't blow off the idea of college. I could tell from your post about marrying him that you are a smart young woman. Now you have just confirmed it by stating how well you did in school. You have so much potential. It would be such a shame for you to give up now.
    If you can get back on track with school, you can pretty much do anything you put your mind to! Don't settle for working at a job that may only pay a little more than minimum wage.

Maybe the way to resolve the problem is for you to start focusing on what it is that you have thought about doing with your life after you graduate. Before meeting your boyfriend, what were you thinking about doing? What were you condering studying in college? Did you have any dream jobs?
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Nov 5, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Well, it sounds like in the past you have been a really great student. I think you should work to try to get back to that. Do you think that you are depressed? Sometimes depression can make people lose interest in the things that were once important to them. It can be hard to be in a school where you don't know many people or have many friends. I think the first thing you should do is to talk to your parents about the situation. Tell them that you have been skipping class, and that you feel very unhappy at your school. Tell them that you are sorry for skipping and that you need their help to get back on track. I'm sure they won't be thrilled, but they will be glad that you were honest about the situation with them. Ask your folks to take you to see a counselor so that you can talk about the emotional changes you have been having. If talking to your parents isn't an option, then consider talking to a teacher or guidance counselor at school. I think it's great that you have a job that you enjoy and work hard at! But, right now, keep your focus on school and on bringing up your grades. If you have to cut back on your work hours, or even quit the job, in order to finish school, then please do so. It is much better for you to stay in school and finish things up now, than to have to go back and do it all later. Even if you are unable to bring you math grade up, maybe you could get in a summer school program, or you could start college a semester late. Also, you may be really behind after a week, but you might still be able to catch up. I would suggest that you (and your parents if that is an option) meet with your algebra teacher and explain what has been going on. Ask if you can meet with the teacher after school, or during his/her prep period if you have study hall during that time. Ask if you can do extra credit. Also, even if the teacher won't give you credit for homework that you missed, ask if you can still complete the assignments and have the teacher check them. That way, even if you got a 0 on them, you will still be learning and preparing for tests. Maybe if you do really well on your final exams, it will help bring your grade up. Talk to the teacher about the situation. Worst case senario, nothing will change. But, even if that's the case, at least the teacher will know that you care about your grades. The best way for you to join the "adult world" is to get your diploma and go to college. I can understand that you are eager to get out there in the world, and I was too when I was almost out of school. But, look at it this way, you have worked hard for years and you are almost done. So stick it out and finish what you started. If you drop out of school, not only will it be harder for you to find a job, but the jobs you do find will probably pay less. Let your boyfriend know that you have to really focus on your grades right now. You guys can still see each other, but see each other after homework/studying is done! Talk to your teacher and parents/guardians and ask them for help. Being honest is your best bet right now. It is very important to finish high school. And, I also think that talking to them will help you better understand your feelings about school, etc. Good luck and please don't skip anymore. Hope this helps! And remember, you're almost done with school so hang in there! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skipping and cracking when playing CD [ 4 Answers ]

While playing a cd, I get a cracking sluggish sound. At times it skips and if I'm importing musc to ITunes, it gets worse and the whole computer runs slow. Once the music is imported to ITunes, it sounds fine. I was wondering if it was my sound card, memory or what. :confused:

View more questions Search