Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 11:55 AM
    What to expect?
    Hey guys! My first prenatal appointment is this Friday and I will be 6 weeks and 3 days! Can anyone give me some insight on what to expect, what sort of questions will be asked, what will take place, blah de blah de blah. I was also wondering if they will perform a transvaginal ultrasound? Thanks for the input in advance! :D
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 12:05 PM
    They will most likely do an exam, check your urine, blood pressure, weigh you, and ask questions like LMP? Family history, etc. they may take blood for certain testing, some wait until later though. There is no need for a transvaginal u/s unless you are currently showing signs of miscarriage. They will most likely be unable to hear a heartmeat, but may check with the doppler just in case. Its pretty much a get to know you kind of appt this early, and they will probably pass on info for prenatal health and what not...
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Thanks alk! I hope they do some sort of ultrasound... I really want to SEE something, haha! :D
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Nov 5, 2007, 12:18 PM
    I had my first at around the same time. They did not do an ultrasound and waited until the next visit to check for the heartbeat. They gave me a due date which was something I had known already from a due date calculator online. They also asked me family medical history.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Thanks bunches babieface! Those online thingys are great aren't they! Step ahead of the doc! ;)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Not a problem... each dr. is different... my first doctor did a vaginal exam every appt... my second one rarely used a doppler... my dr. now rarely does vaginal exams and uses the doppler every time as well as measuring my tummy, something none of the others did.. lol.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Thanks Alk! Hopefully my doctor will be like your 3rd doc! I want to make sure everything is covered and okie dokie... no corners cut!
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 04:21 PM
    When I went in for my first appt they did a vaginal ultrasound... but that was only because I wasn't having periods when I got pregnant... so they literally had no clue how far along I was.
    Then at every appt they measure my stomach, listened to the heartbeat with the doppler... and of course EVERY time had to put my on the scale! Haha!!
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Sounds lovely! Can't wait!!
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Yeah... the real fun was when I had to start standing on the scale backwards because my belly would hit the stand! Hahahaha!!

Awww... it's all kinds of fun :D
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Awww, I seriously can't wait... I'm all antsy about the big day! I just hope I get to maybe hear a heartbeat or see a little something!
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 05:11 PM
    I bet!! It's all SO exciting :):):)

Keep us updated on how it goes :D:D
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Oh don't worry I definitely will! Maybe I will have some cute little pics of my peanut to show everyone! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should I expect? [ 6 Answers ]

What should I expect in midle schol?

Too much to expect a thank you note? [ 11 Answers ]

Twice in one year I have mailed a money order for $50.00 together with a wedding card and a personal note. One wedding was a year ago; the other was back in May. At the first wedding, the groom came up to me and said thanks for the money; the second wedding I didn't attend. Hmmm, maybe in...

What To Expect? [ 4 Answers ]

Can Your Be At All The Airports If You Been Accused Of Using Some One Else Name To Get A Credit Card, And Also Use The Credit Card?

What should I expect [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Wyoming and just told my husband that I wanted to file for a divorce. We have a 14 month old son and I don't want him to get custody. My husband is an over the road truck driver and wants to buy his own big rig so I know that he is not going to get a place of his own to live in with our...

Thank you, but now what do I expect? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, so I thank all of you for your harsh and brutal, but very true opinions in my last question. But here is another few for you! Okay so now I am 34 weeks along, and things are okay, I have early contractions and I get super stressed out. But I love the guy. He means a lot to me and I would...

View more questions Search