Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    watersos Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2007, 08:45 AM
    All Season or Snow Tires?
    I can't decide what to get for tires, I have an awd subaru 2002 and live in upstate ny and get a bit nervous when driving in snow, so what would be the best tire for me? Any ideas?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 09:35 AM
    I'm not a "car guy" so hang around for more posts, there's a lot of good advice here. This is just my experience...

we live in the midwest, Iowa, so we get harsh winters... sometimes a lot of snow, sometimes not.

if price, storage, and convenience were not an issue, my wife's car would have two sets of tires... all season, and then snow for the harsh months...

we have done this in the past... it means a financial investment, your needing to store the set not in use, and a commitment to getting them changed out. I do believe that snow tires are more responsive to starts and stops, and that they simply handle the snowy roads better. They are also noisier and less responsive in dry conditions.

we've not used two sets lately because when its nasty out she drives her car (2005 toy avalon) on well cleaned roads, and we take my 4x4 pathfinder if its really nasty.

so what do you experience in your main driving? A lot of highway miles? Do you like in an area that isn't cleaned as much? How much of the time is there snow on the ground?

you can get away with all season much of the time, if you know your car and you know when you should drive... but snow tires do, I think, offer you more traction when its messy, and its worth the extra money if you think you'll be slopping through lots of snow. I know we could tell the difference when we changed our tires out on her old BMW.

Nov 5, 2007, 10:15 AM
    I live in the country and drive about 13 miles to work 1 way, big hills here and there, so I am thinking snow tires too.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Always snow tires on all four wheels. I know the weather in upstate NY (I used to be in southern Quebec) and even though you have a awd you can still hydroplane or have the back end come around on you. Were you inquiring as yo brand names of tires?

Nov 5, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Sure brand names would help too! Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New tires [ 1 Answers ]

Hi every body. I have a statesman ridding lawn mower.its about 12 years old. The tires will not keep air. The tires are dry rotted on rims. I don't know how to get tires and rims off frame.it looks to me the wheel needs a wheel puller. I thought taking entire mower to tire place to see if they can...

Tires - Michelin [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking at some Michelin Cross Terrain tires. According to the guy I spoke to at the tire place, I can get the blackwall or the raised white lettering. However the raised white lettering version was $35-40 per tire more expensive. The guy said the only difference was cosmetic. Can this really...

Snow blower not picking up snow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Noma 5.0 HP snow blower that is not working correctly. The shears are not turning and picking up the snow. I've checked the shear pins, but they seem to be in good condition. What else should I check? Thanks

Snow thrower not throwing snow?! [ 1 Answers ]

The other day I shear one of the shear pins on my snow thrower tines I had replaced but the tines are not moving at all. (I hit a cement step while clearing the snow of a neighboard's driveway) Could some one let me know where I should start looking at? I don't want to disassemble more than I don't...

Tires [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Durango with 31x10.5 tires. Would TOYO tires be better than Michelins?

View more questions Search