Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miketheman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2004, 08:59 PM
    shear walls
    my engineer wants me to nail my shear at 2" oc. Doesn't that tear up the 2x4 and plywood??
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Aug 11, 2004, 09:07 AM
    Re: shear walls
    Not sure what you are saying about 2" oc!!

the ply is 4' x 8' if your studs are 16" oc then you would nail the sheer at 16" oc

Unless you are refering to the vertical nail pattern of one nail every 2"

Overkill! Unless your in Tornado Alley! Then use construction adhesive plus nails!

Use ring shanks! And put at least 16 nails down the 4' of sheer for each stud in normal wind sheer zones

Check to see what zone you are in!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interior walls [ 6 Answers ]

Is it okay to insulate the interior walls of a basement? How many outlets to a 15 amp and a 20 amp breaker? Is it okay to use 12 gauge wire for the breakers? I'm running wiring to a bath, small kitchen, 1 bedroom, living room and home music studio. And is better to add more outlets to a room or...

Video Walls [ 8 Answers ]

I've been tasked with a project. Basically I need to arrange 4 19" TFT to make one large display and have a smaller display to work off. I can get my head around the large display but can't work out how to have a separate smaller display that shows what is displayed on the large one. Any...

Tearing down 2 walls [ 1 Answers ]

We are remodeling our kitchen and want to remove 2 walls to open it up. We have a truss roof and want to know if we can remove both walls. One wall is part of the wall that runs through the middle of the house between the kitchen and living room, there are support beams in basement under this...

Cracks In Walls [ 5 Answers ]

I been noticing in my drywall long cracks can someone tell me what can that be.

Snow blower shear pin [ 1 Answers ]

I broke a shear pin on my craftsman snow thrower. The head and retainer nut are sheared off properly but I don't know how to get the actual pin out of the shaft. Should I just use a small screwdriver and hammer and just knock it out? I have replacement pins.

View more questions Search