Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    57D Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 06:18 PM
    High speed internet
    I have a PC hooked up to fios high speed router upstairs.My husband hooked up a belkin device to his USB to get a signal for his PC downstairs.He cannot get a connection.Any ideas? He has windows 2000
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Is the router a wireless one?

Has he called Belkin for support?

Nov 4, 2007, 06:34 PM
    The router is wired.He has talked with Belkin, nothing is working! They may be sending him a new device.Thanks!

Nov 4, 2007, 06:38 PM
    If the router only supports wired connections, are you using the right cable?

Nov 4, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Verizon wired the router with the upstairs PC,but we are supposed to be able to have other computers on it also,without running wires between,correct? We are supposed to be able to pick up the signal downstairs, but it isn't working! Thanks

Nov 4, 2007, 07:16 PM
    So it us a wireless router? And the Belkin adapter is a wireless adapter? What OS on the downstairs PC. How big is the house?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 09:32 PM
    And does the PC down stairs have a wireless card in it? Most lap tops have them automatically, but few desks tops have them,

Nov 5, 2007, 07:54 AM
    I thought the Belkin ethernet device that goes into the USB, is in essence a card??
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 5, 2007, 08:13 AM
    You can have a Belkin USB wireless card that has an antenna in it and talks to the PC upstairs via radio waves. Or you can have a Belkin USB Ethernet 10/100 card that an Ethernet cable plugs into.

If it's an Ethernet (wired) card, the maximum cable length is 100 meters, so it's probably not a signal problem. It could be a problem with the router, the adapter, or the cable itself.

If it's a wireless card, signal strength depends on a lot of things, mostly distance and what sort of building materials are between the transmitter and the receiver.

We have a service locally called Geek Squad - they'll come out to your house & help you. You might want to see if there's a similar service in your area.

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harbor Breeze- one speed- high [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a remote controlled Harbor Breeze Triton fan last weekend. Fan worked great for a week, now suddenly the remote won't control the speed. You can push any of the three speed buttons on the remote but fan only runs at fast speed. When you press a different speed button you can hear the...

High-speed Cable/low Speed Operation [ 1 Answers ]

I had Time Warner Cable(TWC) Road Runner service(high-speed cable) installed recently on my Panasonic CF-47 Laptop. It turns out that it operates two times SLOWER than Dial-Up!! I have a W98 O/S. The High-speed cable into the computer measures normal(as measured by a super-tech with TWC). After he...

High speed internet [ 11 Answers ]

I am pondering what kind of high speed internet to get for my computer. I am currently working with a dial up connection and would like to know what kind of high speed hook up I can use to my advantage. I am primarily using the connection for downloading music off Limewire. Love my music so give...

High Speed Dail-Up [ 8 Answers ]

The New York Times reported on BPL. Internet over the power lines on Oct17,2005. I have been told that the next big thing is high speed dial-up. What keeping the FCC from granting faster modem speeds? How fast can dial-up go? I have not been able to find any information on this subject. Thanks in...

Ceiling fan high speed [ 1 Answers ]

I reinstalled a ceiling fan from the basement. When it was down there all 3 speeds worked fine. Now that I've reinstalled it upstairs, it only runs on high speed. The are 4 wires from the fan, white black blue and green. Green is ground, blue is for the light, white neutral and black hot. 3...

View more questions Search