Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zix Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2005, 11:25 AM
    MS Word and Excel spellcheck on their own
    I have lately been using MS Word and Excel and they suddenly begin spellchecking on their own. I start typing, and then 10 seconds later they start again. Its very frustrating. What could be causing this? If I reboot my computer, it will stop for awhile and then suddenly the spellcheck will automatically be activated again, even if I turn OFF spellcheck.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2005, 11:33 AM
    What version of MS Office do you have installed?

Nov 15, 2005, 11:56 AM
    Spellcheck demon
    I have
    MS Word 2003 Student and Teacher (11.6502.6408) SP 1

MS Excel 2003 Student and Teacher (11.6355.6408) SP 1

Even when I opened Excel just now to a blank page to see the version number this window pops up :

"The spelling check is complete for the entire sheet"

It doesn't pop these up all the time, but frequently, and when it does, its very annoying and unproductive.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 15, 2005, 12:16 PM
    Is it the Auto spellcheck feature that is working as mentioned here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...346301033.aspx

Or here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...894101033.aspx

Or is it something completely different?

Maybe this will help:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...733921033.aspx

I know its for publisher but it may lead you in the right direction
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2005, 12:22 PM
    That certainly is an odd behaviour for Word and Excel and I can't think of any menu options that would affect that.
    If the same issue occurs in Word here is something you can try. Try deleting the blank document that Word opens by default, the problem may lie there. Go here: C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates and delete normal.dot. In order to see this folder in Windows Explorer you may have to do Tools > Folder Options, click on View tab, put the checkmark in 'View hidden files and folders' then click OK. Don't worry about deleting that file as Word will recreate a new one.

Let me know what happens.
    BossMan

Nov 15, 2005, 12:25 PM
    Completely weird but worth a look...
    Ok so this is out of left field, but have you tried tapping your F7 key to make sure it isn't sticking as this is the spellcheck hotkey. :confused:

Nov 15, 2005, 12:30 PM
    Spellcheck and Grammar Demon or Ghost
    Thanks for the tips, but even when I turned off ALL of the AutoCorrect under Tools | AutoCorrect Options it did not help.

Somehow the spellcheck box is automatically opening and popping up and running without me asking to do it. I hit cancel, but it keeps going until the end of the document.

Nov 17, 2005, 05:27 AM
    I tried tapping on the F7 key and it seems to have fixed the problem. Is it often that keys STICK like that and turn your keyboards into ghosts or demons? Thanks for your help! It is GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks to all who tried to help me.

Curlyben
    Full Expert Join Date: Mar 2005

Completely weird but worth a look...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so this is out of left field, but have you tried tapping your F7 key to make sure it isn't sticking as this is the spellcheck hotkey.
    BossMan

Nov 17, 2005, 07:48 AM
    No worries zix, glad I could help
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2005, 07:51 AM
    Well done Curlyben!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel and word compatibility [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to streamline the data entry process in my company with regards to a new service. Right now we input customer order info into a Word document, retype the same info into an Excel spreadsheet, then copy and reformat the information into an Outlook email to the customer. I would like to...

MS Word & Excel Requesting Virus Scan [ 2 Answers ]

When opening a Word Excel document the message 'requesting virus scan' appears when opening the application then when opening the file the same message again. Instead of a couple of seconds for whole procedure it now takes 11 to 23 seconds. I had made no changes to my computer. Following another...

Spellcheck! [ 1 Answers ]

I just had XP installed and I noticed there is no spellcheck in OE. So then I installed Word from Office 2000 ( and only WORD ) And I get this error saying the MSSPELL3.dll is missing for spellcheck.( Personally I think Office 2000 is getting back at me for only installing Word ) Anyway, I find...

Excel & Word compatibility [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have Office 97. If documents (Word or Excel)are created in later versions of Office, will I be able to open them in Office 97?

View more questions Search