Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iLookForAssistance Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2005, 11:04 PM
    Questions about I-134 Affidavit of Support/Visa
    Hi,

A long time friend of mine is a US citizen, and we briefly heard about some kind of visa that the foreign individual can get while the US citizen sponsors him or her. The US citizen is required to have income of 35k or so a year, and he/she needs to prove it upon sponsoring the foreign individual.

Q1. Is this visa/sponsorship's official name I-134 Affidavit of Support?

Q1.2. If not, what is the official name?

Q2. If so, what steps do I need to take next in order to go ahead, ask his sponsorship and get visa/sponsorship?

Q3. Should I hire an immigration lawyer to handle this properly?

Q4. How long does this take usually?
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
    It is called "I-134, Affidavit of Support".

You can download the 1-134 form on the US Department of Homeland Security website.

The form is filled out by the person sponsoring you. You can make an expedite request, however, you will need to make it using one of the approved criteria like extreme financial hardship.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2012, 12:14 PM
    I find Immigration Law to be remarkably complex. One mistake and you are set back months and months.

I wouldn't attempt this without an Attorney.

The person who wants to enter the US hasn't yet asked the citizen to sponsor him/her? That's step #1 - and it's a big step for the sponsor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Affidavit of support [ 1 Answers ]

I like to know who can fill the affdavite of support any one ? Or only the family members thanks

What are the requirement for a vaild Affidavit? [ 2 Answers ]

What are the requirements for a valid legal affidavit, to testimony or certifying statement is true and correct? Common requirements to be admitted in court. Maryland

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

View more questions Search