Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ifearone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 10:35 AM
    What is true/not true about linked genes?
    I'm trying to clarify concepts in genetics about linked genes. I know that linked genes are located on the same chromosome and they always segregated together during meiosis and always separate during crossing over, right? And is the recombination frequency actually reprsent the distance between two linked genes? Also, linked genes always fail to display a 9:3:3:1 ratio in the F2 generation of a dihybrid cross, am I correct?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ifearone
    I know that linked genes are located on the same chromosome and they always segregated together during meiosis and always seperate during crossing over, right?
    Almost right but it doesn't read queit right. It should be more like,
    "Genes which are located withing close proximity if one another know as linked, will cosegregated during meiosis unless crossing over occurs."

And is the recombination frequency actually reprsent the distance between two linked genes?
    Simplistically yes, but it doesn't map exactly, the recombinant freqency can be high but the distance shorter than another recombinant frequency of the same value. Proximity to the centrosome can cause this. However unless this is mentioned in your notes I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, linked genes always fail to display a 9:3:3:1 ratio in the F2 generation of a dihybrid cross, am I correct?
    Yep

I think you seem to have a pretty good understanding on what is going on. Once you understand this stuff it really doesn't get any harder. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is he just using me or is he true [ 15 Answers ]

OK so there's this guy that I used to have a past with last year. And then the other day he stopped by my house to talk and he was like you well I've decided that I want to start over where we left off and the before he left we madeout. I mean I'm really happy and all because I've wanted this...

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

I just have one wish. Can it come true? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a person who never asked for much in my life, and I have done my best to take care of my family, and be a good, loving person. I only want to ask for one thing, my ex boyfriend back. Since we ended 3 months ago, the light has gone out and I find little joy. He sometimes emails me or sends...

The one true me [ 15 Answers ]

The short time I have been on this site has taught me so very much. I also do feel all of your pain and wish to the heavens it would disappear for all of you. Tal said something incredible yesterday (when doesn't he :), that just really struck me. It was about knowing who you truly are. So, it...

Is this true? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone I'm 23 years old and I have irregular periods sometimes and a friend of mine told me that this could prevent me from ever having children is that true? Thanks in advance

View more questions Search