Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sendosha Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Nov 4, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Can you identify this finch breed?
    My neighbor's cat caught a bird. I know that it was a finch and it had a leg band on so it must have been someone's pet at one time. :( I would like help in identifying it's breed. It was mostly olive-green; bright yellow stripe on it's head with 2 black stripes, one on each side of the yellow stripe; horizontal yellow stripe on each wing like where it's shoulders would be if it had shoulders; small dark beak.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 10:27 AM
    While you did not explain where you are in the world,

Here are a few I found:

KISKADEE

STRIPE-HEADED TANAGER

As to the tag on the leg,

Can you retrieve it and send it out to the wildlife rufuge( if that is where it it from)

And was it metal or plastic band? And any printing on it?

Let us know,

Ken
    sendosha Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Nov 6, 2007, 06:52 AM
    I don't think it was either of those but thank you anyway. I am in Queens, New York. I live across the street from a cemetery and there are quite a few different bird species living in there along with racoons, skunks and opossums. Some I see more than others.
    The bird had a silver, metal band. It said "open" and had an arrow up or down, I forget which way. I felt sorry for it so I buried it in the front yard. Next year it'll have flowers growing over its grave. It was really tiny so I thought it must be a finch. I used to keep zebra finches and it had a similar call to my finches but I think it may have been a little bigger. I never saw a bird like this one before.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The perfect breed [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm looking for a purebred dog, for February 2007, and I would like to know some non-shedding hypoallergentic breeds of dogs, Please don't tell me to get a mutt because I want a purebred, thanks

Finch death [ 1 Answers ]

I have been keeping finches for about 2 yrs and had a large healthy stock .I bought one from a shop and I lost half my stock in a week,I put it down to the new bird being sick and infecting but it has happened on three more occasions now I have none left . Any ideas?

Pointer breed [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted a pointer from the humane society about 6 weeks ago. I want to know if anyone knows of a website for pointers. I want to know about them.

The decision to breed! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just have a few questions which maybe someone can help me with. I've trawled the web for hours and just seem to go in circles! 1) What is the average size of a litter? 2) Is it safer to breed a medium/large size dog? (I have a bitch rough collie) 3) What is the best age for a bitch...

How old to breed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female daschund 5 1/2 month old how old does she has to be before she could start breeding?

View more questions Search