Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: Has Thanksgiving lost it's initial meaning?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 66.67%
  • No

1 33.33%
  • Not Sure

0 0%
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 14, 2005, 07:21 AM
    Thanksgiving
    I don't know how to start a pol, but the pol answers are:
    1. yes
    2. no
    3 not sure

Now for the question. Do you think Thanksgiving has lost it's initial meaning?

Post what you think you have to be thankful for.

I just got through with reading the post on Christmas lights and colors in public, and thought I'd list some things to be thankful for instead of disgruntled about for a change. Hope you will join in and find some things in you life other than just the turkey dinner that you still enjoy about the meaning of this day.
    I will place my vote and comment on the next post.

Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 14, 2005, 07:39 AM
    Yes, but as I know people still like to eat turkey, watch football, and have most family members around on that day, but think all of us don't always realize the other things still to be thankful for. And it's just another day off??

I am thankful that I got over alcoholism, recoverying for 25 years, and have survived almost all trials and tribulations in life so far challenged with. I am thankful for a daughter that is so wonderful that it makes me cry every time I think about her because I sometimes don't think I deserve her at all. Thankful for the opportunity to meet people in my life that helped me and made a difference of the way I see the world now. Thankful that I am no longer bitter the majority of the time and seek blame with others for my problems. This Thanksgiving, I'm more thankful, as it's the first in 7 years that I will actually be at my daughters house, at her table with friends and family, as her previous marriage prevented harmony.

Hope you have a few things to be thankful for as well.

thankful I found this forum to share my feelings with and help others too.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2005, 08:01 AM
    Thanksgiving
    Hi, Chery,
    If you or anyone is interested in a good site that explains the beginning of Thanksgiving, it's:
    http://wilstar.com/holidays/thankstr.htm

Both my wife are thankful for so many blessings during the past couple of years. Our Thanksgiving dinner will, again, be with friends, cause our children are grown and moved away. See them at Christmas, but rarely at Thanksgiving.
    Another thing thankful for is food on the table. Our prayers always include those who don't have anything; with sometimes helping with donations, when we are able, of food through different organizations here in our local area. It's a time of giving thanks, and even though some of those receiving food in this area don't even know who it comes from, is a good feeling that others do have food on their table. We give thanks for being able to help them.

I am also thankful for the many friends we have, and someone to share this Thanksgiving Day. It is truly a day of "thanks" for us, with prayer, for all the positive things in our lives, and strength to accept the non-positive things.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 14, 2005, 08:13 AM
    That was a nice site and very informative.

Does anyone know of any good recipies they'd like to share? Here's you chance..
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Nov 26, 2005, 01:18 PM
    I would have said yes
    I think that the meaning of most holidays are forgotten, I watched the news this morning people where beating the snot out of each other on black Friday because they wanted the last what ever that was on sale and they did not get it.
    I am old school thanks giving I cooked the turkey and made my pies, I listened to Pasty Cline Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn while my husband and my daughter went hunting. They never get anything but they go just the same. As my grand father did years ago, but he always came home with something.

We sat at the table and enjoyed our dinner and talked about all the things we are thankful for, my daughter and I where thankful for my husband/ fathers sobriety. My husband and I where happy that our daughter had made it threw treatment and have made 29 days with out harming herself again. I was just happy we are all together with all the things going on in the world today. The meaning of the holiday are falling by the way side, it is sad to see this happen but what can we do about it.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 26, 2005, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilfyre
    I think that the meaning of most holidays are forgotten, I watched the news this morning people where beating the snot out of each other on black Friday because they wanted the last what ever that was on sale and they did not get it.
    I am old school thanks giving I cooked the turkey and made my pies, I listened to Pasty Cline Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn while my husband and my daughter went hunting. They never get anything but they go just the same. As my grand father did years ago, but he always came home with something.

We sat at the table and enjoyed our dinner and talked about all the things we are thankful for, my daughter and I where thankful for my husband/ fathers sobriety. My husband and I where happy that our daughter had made it threw treatment and have made 29 days with out harming herself again. I was just happy we are all together with all the things going on in the world today. The meaning of the holiday are falling by the way side, it is sad to see this happen but what can we do about it.
    I can relate, with all the horrible things happening around us, that we can be thankful if our own loved ones are safe, and with us at least a few times a year. Glad you had your loved ones with you at the table, and hope you have many more to come. The best wishes for you and your's, from my heart.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2005, 05:40 PM
    It has fully lost it's meaning in the general public and media.

See George Washington's proclamation:
    http://wilstar.com/holidays/wash_thanks.html

Sure doesn't sound like anything we hear today, huh?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 26, 2005, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    It has fully lost it's meaning in the general public and media.

See George Washington's proclamation:
    http://wilstar.com/holidays/wash_thanks.html

Sure doesn't sound like anything we hear today, huh?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    Thanks Rickj, and after reading the Thanksgiving Story, boy, was that holiday debated about! I guess as long as there are two people on this planet, there will always be something to argue about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Thanksgiving [ 3 Answers ]

Hi pals I want to know why do people celebrate thanksgiving day?

View more questions Search