Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 11:17 PM
    Electric Ovens As Compared to Gas Ovens
    Do electric ovens heat up faster and bake more evenly than gas ones? Just made a pizza in the electric oven where I am house-sitting for some people. Seemed like their electric oven heated up faster and did a much better job on the pizza then my gas one would do at home. The pizza was placed about the same distance from the bottom of the oven as I would place it in my oven at home.

I know that there may be some things such as practice and trying things out to see how they work best in whatever oven. But, my reaction to the electric oven was that it sure seemed to heat up quickly and do a very even job on the pizza. Perhaps there are more modern gas ovens that will also do as good a job as this electric one? Don't know...
    wallarookiller Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2007, 06:15 PM
    I personally think that gas ovens work faster and if all your gas is flowing properly it should b e even as well.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Hello CLOUGH- Ive always found that electric heated ovens always got hotter faster ,gave a lot better even heat , was a lot easeier. To control. I have known severl people who traded back to electric from gas, ( MY wife for one ) I couldn't give her a gas cook stove. Another thing , this winter gas is going to be (HIGH IN COST) NOT THE KIND THAT GOES IN YOUR CAR HA HA > it will be high to ::: Have a good day & GOD BLess. F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Hi, F.B.E.

That was my experience at the home where I was house and dog-sitting this past week with their electric oven. It really seemed to work much faster and do a more even job on a pizza that I put into it. I was amazed!

I'm not saying that I have a preference for either, but just wanted to get people's various opinions and experiences that they have had.

God's Love and Peace to You!

Clough
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 07:24 PM
    I have had both, Craig, and prefer the gas oven. But with propane and natural gas going up, it would be something to consider.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    I have had both, Craig, and prefer the gas oven. But with propane and natural gas going up, it would be something to consider.
    Thank you for your answer, shy! You know that I can't spread the "love" anymore so soon. I do know what you mean about the natural gas being high in price. Believe it or not, I have yet to turn on my furnace! I have two electric oil heaters in my home that I am dragging around to where I am in my home.

Why do you prefer the gas oven?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Ok, my turn to throw a wrench in the fan. There are electric ovens and gas ovens and convection electric ovens and convection gas ovens, Convection ovens should heat more uniformly.

Pizza is an interesting thing to cook because a crisp crust requires a pan and a dough like crust requires no pan.

So what were you comparing again? Crispy or dough-like piza in
    1. Electric vs. Gas
    2. Convection electric vs Gas
    3. Electric vs Convection gas
    4. Convection Electric vs Convection gas
    All vs a pizza oven

Select your pizza oven here: Residential Pizza Oven Selection Wizard | Brick Pizza Oven
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 08:53 PM
    It took me awhile to like the gas oven, maybe because I was scared of blowing the house up someday. But I like the way it heated - seemed to reach the oven temp more quick and more evenly. And, while this could all well be in my head, the gas oven did not get dirty as quickly as the electric. Also the electric oven had some hotter spots, I could not use the bigger cookie sheets in the oven as some of the cookies would not bake the same. I would get burnt on the bottom cookies. Not even the birds wanted them! Lol.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Ok, my turn to throw a wrench in the fan. There are electric ovens and gas ovens and convection electric ovens and convection gas ovens, Convection ovens should heat more uniformly.

Pizza is an interesting thing to cook because a crisp crust requires a pan and a dough like crust requires no pan.

1. Electric vs. Gas
    all vs a pizza oven

Select your pizza oven here: Residential Pizza Oven Selection Wizard | Brick Pizza Oven
    Thank you for your answer! Actually, what you have posted is more of an extra blade for the fan rather than a wrench in the fan. :) I had not even considered convection ovens of various types. I was only asking about floor model ovens that are gas or electric.

Are there floor model convection ovens of the types that you mention? Perhaps convection ovens in general should also figure into the equation.

I apologize for not mentioning it or making it clear in my original post, because I had intended my question to be about food in general and not just pizza. I brought up pizza as the food because that was what I had just experienced baking in the oven.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 09:07 PM
    I wish that I could edit my original post now, but I can't. I am wondering really about food in general in the various types of ovens and the preferences as to which ones to use depending on what food is being prepared in them.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 09:25 PM
    Then create a new thread with a meaningful title.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 09:26 PM
    Then create a new thread with a meaningful title.
    I thought that I had.
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 01:51 AM

1. Electric vs. Gas
    all vs a pizza oven

Thank you again for your answer!

So, why is it that convection ovens heat more uniformly?
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:06 AM
    Convection oven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 04:08 AM
    Thank you for your answer!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 05:23 PM
    HEY YOUAL- CLOUGH & keepitsimple, Hello to youal, let a country boy in this huddle ,I Still remember the old( wood) COOK stove that my mom had. SHE used to make the most fantistic home made bread & rolls, and the best home made blackberry cobler any one has ever tasted . Dag gummet, my mouth is watering,just thinking about this. :: I Have cooked on both, gas and electric, and I perfer the Elect. Although the old wood cook stove done real good, I wonder how it would have done with pizza?? GOD BLESS F.B.E. I just had to add something NEW HA HA
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 07:12 PM
    FBE:

We now know that bread needs a bread oven and pizza needs a pizza oven otherwise all we have is an ersatz oven.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas into Electric [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to turn a gas home into all Electric and or is this something I'd need to get a permit to do? :confused: Can a gas home become a solar powered operated home? How?

Gas or electric [ 2 Answers ]

OK now, what my weed eater seized up and now its useless when I buy a new one should I buy gas powered or electric. Which will last longer and which will get the job done more efficiently ?

Gas Vs. Electric [ 12 Answers ]

I am terrible with engines so I was considering getting all electric Lawn equipment. What do you think I would be sacrificing ? I have a zero Lot line so I don't have that much to cut and Some of the equipment is wireless.

View more questions Search